Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Chris G

Default How to remove all the bits of a package installed by mistake?

I just installed Davical on my desktop system by mistake, I meant to
install it on my server system.

So, it's easy enough to remove Davical and Davical-doc using Synaptic
(or apt-get) but how can I easily remove all the dependencies that
were installed at the same time and are now no longer needed?

--
Chris Green

Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Kim Briggs

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> So, it's easy enough to remove Davical and Davical-doc using Synaptic
> (or apt-get) but how can I easily remove all the dependencies that
> were installed at the same time and are now no longer needed?

"Mark for Complete Removal"?

I thinkt that what the Complete Removal choice in Synaptic was for.

--
http://kimbriggs.com

Old 12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:31:55AM -0500, Kim Briggs wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > So, it's easy enough to remove Davical and Davical-doc using Synaptic
> > (or apt-get) but how can I easily remove all the dependencies that
> > were installed at the same time and are now no longer needed?

> "Mark for Complete Removal"?
>
> I thinkt that what the Complete Removal choice in Synaptic was for.

No, that just removes configuration files etc.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Matt Harrison

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:31:55AM -0500, Kim Briggs wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>> > So, it's easy enough to remove Davical and Davical-doc using Synaptic
>> > (or apt-get) but how can I easily remove all the dependencies that
>> > were installed at the same time and are now no longer needed?

>> "Mark for Complete Removal"?
>>
>> I thinkt that what the Complete Removal choice in Synaptic was for.
>>
> No, that just removes configuration files etc.
>
> --
> Chris Green

If the dependencies were only for the program you installed and
removed, you could try out a program called deborphan. I looks for
install packages that aren't tied to any program. I don't know if it
will get them all, but it should remove quite a few of them.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Alan Pope

2009/12/16 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:

> No, that just removes configuration files etc.

sudo apt-get autoremove <packagename>

From the man page:-

autoremove
autoremove is used to remove packages that were
automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and
that are no more needed.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Adam Petty

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/16 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:
>
>> No, that just removes configuration files etc.
>>

> sudo apt-get autoremove <packagename>
>
> From the man page:-
>
> * * * autoremove
> * * * * * autoremove is used to remove packages that were
> automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and
> that are no more needed.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Doesn't Computer Janitor do something like that as well

Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Jamal Uddin Khan

Adam Petty wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/12/16 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:
>>

>>> No, that just removes configuration files etc.
>>>

>> sudo apt-get autoremove <packagename>
>>
>> From the man page:-
>>
>> autoremove
>> autoremove is used to remove packages that were
>> automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and
>> that are no more needed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
>>

> Doesn't Computer Janitor do something like that as well

I think BleachBit is a good tool to do it graphically .. you can get it
here .. http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/