Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Andrew Farris

Default Help needed urgently please: Couldn't solve "400 Bad Request" during sytem update

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 15:01 +0530, arshad wrote:
> hi all,
> please help me to solve this problem, i still couldn't figure it out.
> whenever i try to update or install, i get this error:
>
> ~$ sudo apt-get update
[snip]
> 400 Bad Request
[large snip]

An error 400 is a low-level error, indicating corrupt http data.

Do you get this error when trying to visit websites?
Do you get this error if you try to install software from a liveCD?

If either of these are true, then there may be an issue with your
connection. I don't know what else to try at this point, as I've never
actually run into this issue before. I hope this helps out though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes#4xx_Client_Error

--
Andrew

Old 12-16-2009, 06:27 PM
NoOp

On 12/16/2009 01:31 AM, arshad wrote:
> hi all,
> please help me to solve this problem, i still couldn't figure it out.
> whenever i try to update or install, i get this error:

So, now you start a new thread? Why don't you answer the questions asked
in your original thread: "Re: 400 bad request (cant update or install)"?

> On 12/13/2009 09:45 PM, arshad wrote:
>> > 400 Bad Request
> This sounds like a dns issue. Please check your /etc/resolv.conf and see
> if your isp's dns servers are listed correctly, or listed at all.
>
> From a terminal post the output of:
>
> $ cat etc/resolv.conf
> and
> $ host archive.ubuntu.com

Also, please post the responses back in your original thread so that
others don't have to look at both.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 AM
arshad

thanks buddy for replying.

i actually overlooked the reply there. since im still getting used to evolution.

here is what the output:

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

# Generated by NetworkManager

nameserver 203.115.24.221

nameserver 172.19.10.25

$ host archive.ubuntu.com

archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.45

archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.46

archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.30

archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.31

archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.40

thank you again.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
NoOp

On 12/17/2009 12:33 AM, arshad wrote:
> thanks buddy for replying.
> i actually overlooked the reply there. since im still getting used to
> evolution.
> here is what the output:
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Generated by NetworkManager
> nameserver 203.115.24.221
> nameserver 172.19.10.25
>
> $ host archive.ubuntu.com
> archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.45
> archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.46
> archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.30
> archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.31
> archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.40
>
> thank you again.

Well I'm somewhat stumped; dns seems to be working fine,
archive.ubuntu.com resolves just fine. Are you by chance using a proxy?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:49 AM
NoOp

On 12/17/2009 05:15 PM, Arshad wrote:
> yes im using TOR with firefox extension. and yesterday i found that my
> friend who is also using TOR is having the same problem as me

I've no experience with TOR, but perhaps these will help:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TOR

In the interim, you might backup your TOR files and purge. Then 'sudo
apt-get update' & 'sudo apt-get upgrade' and see how that goes. If it
works, then you can drill down to troubleshoot TOR.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
arshad

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 17:49 -0800, NoOp wrote:

On 12/17/2009 05:15 PM, Arshad wrote:
> yes im using TOR with firefox extension. and yesterday i found that my
> friend who is also using TOR is having the same problem as me

I've no experience with TOR, but perhaps these will help:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TOR

In the interim, you might backup your TOR files and purge. Then 'sudo
apt-get update' & 'sudo apt-get upgrade' and see how that goes. If it
works, then you can drill down to troubleshoot TOR.

hi,

thank you very much for your reply.

i checked those two links. and the first link is the guide i used to install TOR. i have used that link before as well (before the installation i formatted last) and it worked well and i had no problem.

the second links deals with installing tor and installing privoxy, which i don't have installed, i have instead installed polipo.

can you explains the red in your statement please?

thank you very much.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:08 AM
arshad

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 17:49 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/17/2009 05:15 PM, Arshad wrote:
> > yes im using TOR with firefox extension. and yesterday i found that my
> > friend who is also using TOR is having the same problem as me
>
> I've no experience with TOR, but perhaps these will help:
>
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TOR
>
> In the interim, you might backup your TOR files and purge. Then 'sudo
> apt-get update' & 'sudo apt-get upgrade' and see how that goes. If it
> works, then you can drill down to troubleshoot TOR.

hi,
i completely removed TOR and polipo, and still the problem persists...
any other solutions?
should i replace my source.list with another one may be?

thank you very much

Old 12-19-2009, 05:21 PM
arshad

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 17:49 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/17/2009 05:15 PM, Arshad wrote:
> > yes im using TOR with firefox extension. and yesterday i found that my
> > friend who is also using TOR is having the same problem as me
>
> I've no experience with TOR, but perhaps these will help:
>
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TOR
>
> In the interim, you might backup your TOR files and purge. Then 'sudo
> apt-get update' & 'sudo apt-get upgrade' and see how that goes. If it
> works, then you can drill down to troubleshoot TOR.

to make the things less difficult,
i disabled all the repos except the main and i (still) get the following
error:

$ sudo apt-get update
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty Release.gpg
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates Release.gpg
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security Release.gpg
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Packages
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Packages
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Packages
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Packages
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Packages
Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Packages
Err http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Packages
400 Bad Request
Err http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Packages
400 Bad Request
Err http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Packages
400 Bad Request
W: Failed to fetch
http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages
400 Bad Request

W: Failed to fetch
http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-updates/main/binary-i386/Packages 400 Bad Request

W: Failed to fetch
http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-security/main/binary-i386/Packages 400 Bad Request

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

source list:

$ more /etc/apt/sources.list
# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386
(20090420.1)]/ jaunty
main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/ jaunty main

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
Ubuntu
## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive
any
## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the
'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it
includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful
features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any
review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
######deb http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository.
## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and
the
## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner
# deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner

deb http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/ jaunty-security main

#tor
##deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org jaunty main

# Remastersys
##deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository ubuntu/

Old 12-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Steve

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:21:11 -0000, arshad <arshad3m@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 17:49 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/17/2009 05:15 PM, Arshad wrote:
>> > yes im using TOR with firefox extension. and yesterday i found that my
>> > friend who is also using TOR is having the same problem as me
>>
>> I've no experience with TOR, but perhaps these will help:
>>
>> https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TOR
>>
>> In the interim, you might backup your TOR files and purge. Then 'sudo
>> apt-get update' & 'sudo apt-get upgrade' and see how that goes. If it
>> works, then you can drill down to troubleshoot TOR.
>>

> to make the things less difficult,
> i disabled all the repos except the main and i (still) get the following
> error:
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty Release.gpg
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Translation-en_US
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates Release.gpg
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Translation-en_US
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security Release.gpg
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Translation-en_US
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty Release
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates Release
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security Release
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Packages
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Packages
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Packages
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Packages
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Packages
> Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Packages
> Err http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Packages
> 400 Bad Request
> Err http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Packages
> 400 Bad Request
> Err http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Packages
> 400 Bad Request
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages
> 400 Bad Request
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-updates/main/binary-i386/Packages
> 400 Bad Request
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-security/main/binary-i386/Packages
> 400 Bad Request
>
> E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
>

> source list:
>
> $ more /etc/apt/sources.list
> # deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386
> (20090420.1)]/ jaunty
> main restricted
> # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade
> # newer versions of the distribution.
>
> deb http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/ jaunty main

<snip>
##deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository ubuntu/

Have you tried changing to a different Server, perhaps the main one for
now.

--
Steve

Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 PM
arshad

On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 18:53 +0000, Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:21:11 -0000, arshad <arshad3m@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I've no experience with TOR, but perhaps these will help:
> >>
> >> https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian
> >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TOR
> >>
> >> In the interim, you might backup your TOR files and purge. Then 'sudo
> >> apt-get update' & 'sudo apt-get upgrade' and see how that goes. If it
> >> works, then you can drill down to troubleshoot TOR.
> >>

> > to make the things less difficult,
> > i disabled all the repos except the main and i (still) get the following
> > error:
> >
> > $ sudo apt-get update
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty Release.gpg
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Translation-en_US
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates Release.gpg
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Translation-en_US
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security Release.gpg
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Translation-en_US
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty Release
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates Release
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security Release
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Packages
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Packages
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Packages
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Packages
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Packages
> > Ign http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Packages
> > Err http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty/main Packages
> > 400 Bad Request
> > Err http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-updates/main Packages
> > 400 Bad Request
> > Err http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr jaunty-security/main Packages
> > 400 Bad Request
> > W: Failed to fetch
> > http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages
> > 400 Bad Request
> >
> > W: Failed to fetch
> > http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-updates/main/binary-i386/Packages
> > 400 Bad Request
> >
> > W: Failed to fetch
> > http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-security/main/binary-i386/Packages
> > 400 Bad Request
> >
> > E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> > ones used instead.
> >

> > source list:
> >
> > $ more /etc/apt/sources.list
> > # deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386
> > (20090420.1)]/ jaunty
> > main restricted
> > # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade
> > # newer versions of the distribution.
> >
> > deb http://ubuntu.gnu.gen.tr/ubuntu/ jaunty main
> >
> <snip>
> ##deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository ubuntu/
> >

> Have you tried changing to a different Server, perhaps the main one for
> now.
>
> --
> Steve

yeah, i changed it several times and still the same