Old 12-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Alan McKay

Default OpenVPN Client (Clarkconnect Server)

Hey folks,

9.10 Karmic over here.

I found this link :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VPNClient
which does not have info on OpenVPN.

But I did find this :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenVPN

Which has not info on using the GUI, which is what I'd really like to
use. It does talk about editing a client config file to do it
manually, but I'd really like to get it going with the GUI

Using this Clark Connect doc I logged on as me on the Clark Connect
server at work and generated the certificates and keys. I also logged
on as admin and ensured OpenVPN was turned on.

http://www.clarkconnect.com/docs/Modules_-_VPN_Server_-_OpenVPN

Back here at home, using the GUI to configure the VPN, I have set these fields

"gateway" - public IP of my clark box
The rest were my generated keys and certs
"User Certificate" -
"Certificate Authority"
"Private Key"
"Private Key Password"
I was not asked to make a password for my key, so I'm assuming it was
my regular user password to log into the Clark Box?

When I try to start it from the little network gadget in the top right, I get :
"Failed because there are no valid VPN secrets"

I google that error and get craploads of very different stuff of course.

I don't see anything in /var/log/messages

I have no idea where the GUI put my config info but it is not in
/etc/openvpn/ where some of the above pages say to put the manual
stuff.

Based on what I see in some of the manual config stuff, I think maybe
there is a problem with the fact that my certificates and keys are
just in my home dir in a directory called "ClarkConnect". But I
selected them there in place from the GUI so it should know where they
are.

Anyone?