Old 12-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

Default USB detection fails after a few days

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:46:05 +0100
Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez@modulonet.fr> wrote:

> Restarting Nautilus doesn't fix the problem.
> The memory card still shows under /dev/sd* (sde1), but it's reported as
> not mounted. So I am thinking the problem is fairly high-level, related
> to the magic in user land that's supposed to automagically detect and
> mount removable medias ? How can I re-initiale this "service" ?

I ventured into restarting hal, and it got detection working again, no
need to log out or restart, phew !

That's just a work-around though, I hope the problem will be
investigated and fixed properly for the future releases of Ubuntu...

--
Vince

Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:46:05 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> Hi list,
>

> I always have lots things/apps/documents/workspaces active at the same
> time, so rebooting the computer is a rather unpleasant experience.
>
> Restarting Nautilus doesn't fix the problem. The memory card still shows
> under /dev/sd* (sde1), but it's reported as not mounted. So I am
> thinking the problem is fairly high-level, related to the magic in user
> land that's supposed to automagically detect and mount removable medias
> ? How can I re-initiale this "service" ?

I sometimes have similar problems with lots of aps open for a long time
(sometimes weeks) Slowly swap will fill up to over 95% and the computer
will start to react very slow, with which I mean that it can take a
quarter off a hour before it reacts to a mouseclick. I then usually will
do things to free swap, f.i. close a number off aps, and if that does not
help, log out and then log in again. It usually is not necessary to
reboot.

Aart