Old 12-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

Default USB detection fails after a few days

Hi list,

Using Ubuntu 9.04.

I am having a big problem with USB: I often plug/unplug my SD card into
my memory card reader, to retreive ics from my digital camera, every
time I take somen, which is pretty much every day recently.
It usually works fine : I plug the card and instantly Nautilus picks it
up and I can access the files/pics. The problem I am having, and which
occured just 2 minutes ago hence this mail, is that after "some" time
(a few days maybe), for some unknown reason, Nautilus will not detect
the insertion of the memory card ! It just doesn't react at all. If I
reboot the computer, it fixes the problem... until it reappears a few
days or weeks later.

I always have lots things/apps/documents/workspaces active at the same
time, so rebooting the computer is a rather unpleasant experience.

I seem to remember this is a known problem, but can't recall the fix.
Short of really "fixing" the problem, I am hoping it is possible to
work aroud it by restarting some service by hand in a terminal or
something.

Restarting Nautilus doesn't fix the problem.
The memory card still shows under /dev/sd* (sde1), but it's reported as
not mounted. So I am thinking the problem is fairly high-level, related
to the magic in user land that's supposed to automagically detect and
mount removable medias ? How can I re-initiale this "service" ?

Thanks for any help...

Vince