Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Huw

Default No display with onboard graphics

--- lenc5570@sbcglobal.net wrote:
>Maybe boot from live or alt Ubuntu CD, chroot into the Ubuntu partition and repair your video drivers from there.
>Some one else will have to tell you how if you don't already know how.

Hi, thanks for replying. What do you mean by repairing my video drivers? They were working fine, it's just that I've switched to onboard graphics. But in any case, you're right, I have no idea how to do this!

Huw

Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Huw wrote:
> --- lenc5570@sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
>> Maybe boot from live or alt Ubuntu CD, chroot into the Ubuntu partition and repair your video drivers from there.
>> Some one else will have to tell you how if you don't already know how.
>>
> Hi, thanks for replying. What do you mean by repairing my video drivers? They were working fine, it's just that I've switched to onboard graphics. But in any case, you're right, I have no idea how to do this!
>
> Huw

Didn't you say you video card crapped out on you and that you are now
using the onboard card. Unless your installed card and onboard card are
one in the same it's likely they use different video drivers.
By repairing your video drivers, I mean uninstalling(better to purge it)
the video drivers your card was using then installing the correct driver
for the onboard video. I don't remember what you said your
card and onboard brand(chipset) was since you snipped that info, but you
could do and aptitude search or use synaptic to find which driver is
installed, remove it and install the correct one for the onboard video.
I think it's likely the drivers installed and what's needed are different.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Huw

Thanks Leonard, I'll give it a try. I'm sure I can find a simple chroot tutorial somewhere on the Web. Yeah, I was using nVidia drivers before, so I'll switch to something else. Vesa, I assume.

Huw

(With apologies once more for snipping and general formatting - using my webmail is horrible)

Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Huw wrote:
> Thanks Leonard, I'll give it a try. I'm sure I can find a simple chroot tutorial somewhere on the Web. Yeah, I was using nVidia drivers before, so I'll switch to something else. Vesa, I assume.
>
> Huw
>
> (With apologies once more for snipping and general formatting - using my webmail is horrible)

You only need reply to the list as I'm subscribed. Perhaps you are
not. You might want to post your onboard card brand , model and chipset
if you know it or can find the info. lshw and lspci should list it.
Then googling for the onboard card ID+video driver+ubuntu or linux
should find the correct driver for you to install. Google is you friend
as they say.