Old 12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Mischa Falkenburg

Default BIZARRE SITUATION

Hello All,

Here's the bizarre situation...at least to me.
I have a box that has Ubuntu installed within Windows XP on the C drive.
Has worked fine for quite a while. Until now. Was working on something
from the W-side, and had finished what I wanted and left the room. When
I came back, it was in the process of doing a W update. I thought, "I
don't need to keep THAT going...", so I initiated a restart since
something else needed doing on the Ubuntu side. Rather than GRUB coming
up with the usual selections for me to scroll through, it was showing me
the Ubuntu version back to 8.04(!), instead of 9.04...
Normally selecting W XP in grub will then show me the choices of XP &
Ubuntu. Now when I select Ubuntu the following displays:

Booting 'Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-23-generic'
Filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x07
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-generic
root=UUID=afe0fc43-e49d-4e85-913c-d5a03
932b192 ro quiet splash
Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue...

I'd be REALLY surprised if all the latest data is gone, and that's not
what I expect.

Could anyone steer me in the right direction?

Booting off the 9.04 disk was tried, but I don't see the choice of
repairing a broken system. I can run 8.04 ok, so if I need to open a
terminal that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks-in-advance,
Mischa

Old 12-20-2009, 12:44 AM
NoOp

On 12/15/2009 10:20 AM, Mischa Falkenburg wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Here's the bizarre situation...at least to me.
> I have a box that has Ubuntu installed within Windows XP on the C drive.
> Has worked fine for quite a while. Until now. Was working on something
> from the W-side, and had finished what I wanted and left the room. When
> I came back, it was in the process of doing a W update. I thought, "I
> don't need to keep THAT going...", so I initiated a restart since
> something else needed doing on the Ubuntu side. Rather than GRUB coming
> up with the usual selections for me to scroll through, it was showing me
> the Ubuntu version back to 8.04(!), instead of 9.04...
> Normally selecting W XP in grub will then show me the choices of XP &
> Ubuntu. Now when I select Ubuntu the following displays:
>
> Booting 'Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-23-generic'
> Filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x07
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-generic
> root=UUID=afe0fc43-e49d-4e85-913c-d5a03
> 932b192 ro quiet splash
> Error 15: File not found
>
> Press any key to continue...
>
> I'd be REALLY surprised if all the latest data is gone, and that's not
> what I expect.
>
> Could anyone steer me in the right direction?
>
> Booting off the 9.04 disk was tried, but I don't see the choice of
> repairing a broken system. I can run 8.04 ok, so if I need to open a
> terminal that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Thanks-in-advance,
> Mischa

Not snipping so others can see the full post...

Mischa did you get this sorted out, or do you still need assistance?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:03 AM
Mischa Falkenburg

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/15/2009 10:20 AM, Mischa Falkenburg wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Here's the bizarre situation...at least to me.
>> I have a box that has Ubuntu installed within Windows XP on the C drive.
>> Has worked fine for quite a while. Until now. Was working on something
>> from the W-side, and had finished what I wanted and left the room. When
>> I came back, it was in the process of doing a W update. I thought, "I
>> don't need to keep THAT going...", so I initiated a restart since
>> something else needed doing on the Ubuntu side. Rather than GRUB coming
>> up with the usual selections for me to scroll through, it was showing me
>> the Ubuntu version back to 8.04(!), instead of 9.04...
>> Normally selecting W XP in grub will then show me the choices of XP &
>> Ubuntu. Now when I select Ubuntu the following displays:
>>
>> Booting 'Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-23-generic'
>> Filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x07
>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-generic
>> root=UUID=afe0fc43-e49d-4e85-913c-d5a03
>> 932b192 ro quiet splash
>> Error 15: File not found
>>
>> Press any key to continue...
>>
>> I'd be REALLY surprised if all the latest data is gone, and that's not
>> what I expect.
>>
>> Could anyone steer me in the right direction?
>>
>> Booting off the 9.04 disk was tried, but I don't see the choice of
>> repairing a broken system. I can run 8.04 ok, so if I need to open a
>> terminal that shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>> Thanks-in-advance,
>> Mischa
>>

> Not snipping so others can see the full post...
>
> Mischa did you get this sorted out, or do you still need assistance?

Well, NoOp...you're my first response. It's still a problem, but I
probably didn't "help" myself any since I did a re-install of 9.04...so
I would assume that ALL of the "stuff" like, emails, & documents and
Firefox bookmarks are G-O-N-E, true?

Mischa

Old 12-21-2009, 04:01 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Mischa Falkenburg wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/15/2009 10:20 AM, Mischa Falkenburg wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Here's the bizarre situation...at least to me.
>>> I have a box that has Ubuntu installed within Windows XP on the C drive.
>>> Has worked fine for quite a while. Until now. Was working on something
>>> from the W-side, and had finished what I wanted and left the room. When
>>> I came back, it was in the process of doing a W update. I thought, "I
>>> don't need to keep THAT going...", so I initiated a restart since
>>> something else needed doing on the Ubuntu side. Rather than GRUB coming
>>> up with the usual selections for me to scroll through, it was showing me
>>> the Ubuntu version back to 8.04(!), instead of 9.04...
>>> Normally selecting W XP in grub will then show me the choices of XP &
>>> Ubuntu. Now when I select Ubuntu the following displays:
>>>
>>> Booting 'Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-23-generic'
>>> Filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x07
>>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-generic
>>> root=UUID=afe0fc43-e49d-4e85-913c-d5a03
>>> 932b192 ro quiet splash
>>> Error 15: File not found
>>>
>>> Press any key to continue...
>>>
>>> I'd be REALLY surprised if all the latest data is gone, and that's not
>>> what I expect.
>>>
>>> Could anyone steer me in the right direction?
>>>
>>> Booting off the 9.04 disk was tried, but I don't see the choice of
>>> repairing a broken system. I can run 8.04 ok, so if I need to open a
>>> terminal that shouldn't be a problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks-in-advance,
>>> Mischa
>>>

>> Not snipping so others can see the full post...
>>
>> Mischa did you get this sorted out, or do you still need assistance?
>>

> Well, NoOp...you're my first response. It's still a problem, but I
> probably didn't "help" myself any since I did a re-install of 9.04...so
> I would assume that ALL of the "stuff" like, emails, & documents and
> Firefox bookmarks are G-O-N-E, true?
>
> Mischa

Not if you kept the new load from formating the drive. You
can do that. Did you do that?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Mischa Falkenburg

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Mischa Falkenburg wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> Not snipping so others can see the full post...
>>>
>>> Mischa did you get this sorted out, or do you still need assistance?
>>>

>> Well, NoOp...you're my first response. It's still a problem, but I
>> probably didn't "help" myself any since I did a re-install of 9.04...so
>> I would assume that ALL of the "stuff" like, emails, & documents and
>> Firefox bookmarks are G-O-N-E, true?
>>
>> Mischa
>>

> Not if you kept the new load from formating the drive. You
> can do that. Did you do that?
>
> 73 Karl

With the install done from within Windows, there was NO mention of the
drive being formatted. Given that, is there a "next" step?

Mischa

Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
NoOp

On 12/20/2009 08:03 PM, Mischa Falkenburg wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>>
>> Mischa did you get this sorted out, or do you still need assistance?
>>

> Well, NoOp...you're my first response. It's still a problem, but I
> probably didn't "help" myself any since I did a re-install of 9.04...so
> I would assume that ALL of the "stuff" like, emails, & documents and
> Firefox bookmarks are G-O-N-E, true?
>
> Mischa

Most likely when you reinstalled your data went with it. You might check
through the Wubi links to see if you can find more info:

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
http://wubi-installer.org/support.php
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Sorry, but I only installed via Wubi once (for testing - it worked
great), but removed the install afterwards as I use dualboot or virtual
machine systems instead for Windows.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Mischa Falkenburg

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/20/2009 08:03 PM, Mischa Falkenburg wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> Mischa did you get this sorted out, or do you still need assistance?
>>>

>> Well, NoOp...you're my first response. It's still a problem, but I
>> probably didn't "help" myself any since I did a re-install of 9.04...so
>> I would assume that ALL of the "stuff" like, emails, & documents and
>> Firefox bookmarks are G-O-N-E, true?
>>
>> Mischa
>>

> Most likely when you reinstalled your data went with it. You might check
> through the Wubi links to see if you can find more info:
>
> http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
> http://wubi-installer.org/support.php
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
>
> Sorry, but I only installed via Wubi once (for testing - it worked
> great), but removed the install afterwards as I use dualboot or virtual
> machine systems instead for Windows.

Thanks.
I'll take a look when I get home from work tomorrow.
M.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Mischa Falkenburg

Mischa Falkenburg wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> Well, NoOp...you're my first response. It's still a problem, but I
>>> probably didn't "help" myself any since I did a re-install of 9.04...so
>>> I would assume that ALL of the "stuff" like, emails, & documents and
>>> Firefox bookmarks are G-O-N-E, true?
>>>
>>> Mischa
>>>

>> Most likely when you reinstalled your data went with it. You might check
>> through the Wubi links to see if you can find more info:
>>
>> http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
>> http://wubi-installer.org/support.php
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
>>
>> Sorry, but I only installed via Wubi once (for testing - it worked
>> great), but removed the install afterwards as I use dualboot or virtual
>> machine systems instead for Windows.
>>

> Thanks.
> I'll take a look when I get home from work tomorrow.
> M.

Hmmm, looked through 'em and didn't see anything pertinent to "this"
situation. Oh well, the data comes and the data goes ;-)

M.