Old 12-15-2009, 04:02 PM
David Harel

Default Can I make the Gnome panel show active tasks on all workspaces.

Hi there,

Currently I can see and
select tasks on the current workspace only but I want to be able to get
to an application on a different workspace directly (typically I use 4
workspaces). Can it be done? (didn't find it on the panel properties
menu).

--
Regards.

David Harel,

==================================

Home office +972 77 7657645
Cellular: +972 54 4534502
Snail Mail: Amuka
D.N Merom Hagalil
13802
Israel
Email: hareldvd@ergolight-sw.com

Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Ulf Rompe

Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2009, 19:02 +0200 schrieb David Harel:
> Currently I can see and select tasks on the current workspace only but
> I want to be able to get to an application on a different workspace
> directly (typically I use 4 workspaces). Can it be done? (didn't find
> it on the panel properties menu).

You can find the settings dialog by right-clicking on the handle at the
left of the task bar. It has a radio button to select the behaviour you
want.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

David Harel wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> Currently I can see and select tasks on the current workspace only but
> I want to be able to get to an application on a different workspace
> directly (typically I use 4 workspaces). Can it be done? (didn't find
> it on the panel properties menu).

Typically, Ubuntu has 2 desktop icons showing in the system tray if
that's what you mean by workspaces. Just right click one of the desktop
icons, select the top entry, configure desktip, from the popup then
change the number of desktops you want showing(available for use) and
select apply then ok. However, I'm using kubuntu-desktop and
gnome-desktop will be different but the capability to use more than one
desktop will be there somewhere. HTH,
Len

Old 12-15-2009, 05:34 PM
David Harel

Ulf Rompe wrote:

Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2009, 19:02 +0200 schrieb David Harel:

Currently I can see and select tasks on the current workspace only but
I want to be able to get to an application on a different workspace
directly (typically I use 4 workspaces). Can it be done? (didn't find
it on the panel properties menu).

You can find the settings dialog by right-clicking on the handle at the
left of the task bar. It has a radio button to select the behaviour you
want.

Thanks.

It seems like a usability issue.

--
Regards.

David Harel,

==================================

Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Andrew Farris

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 20:34 +0200, David Harel wrote:
> Ulf Rompe wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2009, 19:02 +0200 schrieb David Harel:
> >
> > > Currently I can see and select tasks on the current workspace only but
> > > I want to be able to get to an application on a different workspace
> > > directly (typically I use 4 workspaces). Can it be done? (didn't find
> > > it on the panel properties menu).
> > >
> > You can find the settings dialog by right-clicking on the handle at the
> > left of the task bar. It has a radio button to select the behaviour you
> > want.
> >
> Thanks.
> It seems like a usability issue.

Usability issue how? I count it as a feature that I don't have to look
at every single window I've got open. I usually have 6 workspaces, and
numerous tasks sitting on each. It gets a little hectic when I'm working
on a project and I've got 9/10 windows open on one workspace, the last
thing I need is the 12-15 other windows I've got spread out on other
workspaces to be showing up mixed in with my project!

As a convenience factor though, I recognize the need to quickly find
windows on other workspaces, so I added the "Window Selector" app to my
panel (I think its there by default now, next to the notification area).
This app lists all the windows on every workspace for easy finding of
something else.

+0.02

--
Andrew

Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM
David Harel

Ulf Rompe wrote:

[...]

Below some links dealing with usability issues. Hope you can find some
beneficial info.

http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/simplicity_is_highly.html

http://books.google.co.il/books?id=Li9ixNhMwUUC&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=user+err ors+in+menu+selection&source=bl&ots=U0w39DKwt6&sig =sLZjBUJHW-J_V33_HJG2kAqDvOE&hl=en&ei=EZOhSaviKJaq0AWC2K3PCg& sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result

--
Regards.

David Harel,