Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Arun Shrimali

Default ncomputing and Ubuntu 9.10

Dear All,

I found that n-computing is a leading provider of Virtual PC
solutions. They claim to have 5% of all student seat computing in US,
K-12 public school.

Can anybody help me out "how to" setup ncomputing (I have L230 and
L130 models) with Ubuntu 9.10
I also like users to share their experience about it.

Regards

Arun

Old 12-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Andrew Kane

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I found that n-computing is a leading provider of Virtual PC
> solutions. They claim to have 5% of all student seat computing in US,
> K-12 public school.
>
> Can anybody help me out "how to" setup *ncomputing (I have L230 and
> L130 models) with Ubuntu 9.10
> I also like users to share their experience about it.

I did a brief search and found some Ubuntu Forum threads relating to
n-computing:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=012285703143635244993%3Ai9yr8qlpb18&q=n-computing&sa=Search&siteurl=crunchbang.org%2Fubunt u-search-engine%2F

I'm unclear as to why this is necessary or desirable. Ubuntu is
already a multi-user system out of the box. The X Window system was
designed from the ground up to work over a network. Surely this has
been done before in a way that doesn't require a proprietary black
box?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Christopher Chan

Arun Shrimali wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I found that n-computing is a leading provider of Virtual PC
> solutions. They claim to have 5% of all student seat computing in US,
> K-12 public school.

Leading provider? Well, I suppose. I have a whole lot of them ready to
be thrown away because 1) they have ZERO Linux support (their Linux
supported claims is pretty much false) and 2) their software for
managing the terminals on Windows is absolutely unstable and regularly
gets broken by Microsoft updates.

> Can anybody help me out "how to" setup ncomputing (I have L230 and
> L130 models) with Ubuntu 9.10

Good luck. You cannot even get them to work with Hardy let alone Karmic.
If you are lucky, you might be able to get your hands on their stuff
that works with Feisty but I have not been able find that stuff.

> I also like users to share their experience about it.

These devices would actually be very neat IF their software was stable.
BTW, forget about anything flash based. At most, one top of the line PC
might be able to handle 4 terminals. Anything less, and two terminals
running some web-based flash edugame will be enough to peg the box.

Don't bother, Ncomputing's software for Windows is not good enough and
they have nothing available for Linux.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Christopher Chan

Andrew Kane wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I found that n-computing is a leading provider of Virtual PC
>> solutions. They claim to have 5% of all student seat computing in US,
>> K-12 public school.
>>
>> Can anybody help me out "how to" setup ncomputing (I have L230 and
>> L130 models) with Ubuntu 9.10
>> I also like users to share their experience about it.
>
> I did a brief search and found some Ubuntu Forum threads relating to
> n-computing:
> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=012285703143635244993%3Ai9yr8qlpb18&q=n-computing&sa=Search&siteurl=crunchbang.org%2Fubunt u-search-engine%2F
>
> I'm unclear as to why this is necessary or desirable. Ubuntu is
> already a multi-user system out of the box. The X Window system was
> designed from the ground up to work over a network. Surely this has
> been done before in a way that doesn't require a proprietary black
> box?

Please let know who else has a form factor like that of the Ncomputing
Targas.

Too bad Ncomputing has to use a proprietary protocol of its own and are
not able to create software up to the task. Otherwise, they would be
keepers. Right now, I am glad to be rid of them. No more complaints
about crashes, yada, yada.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Arun Shrimali

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> Andrew Kane wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I found that n-computing is a leading provider of Virtual PC
>>> solutions. They claim to have 5% of all student seat computing in US,
>>> K-12 public school.
>>>
>>> Can anybody help me out "how to" setup *ncomputing (I have L230 and
>>> L130 models) with Ubuntu 9.10
>>> I also like users to share their experience about it.
>>
>> I did a brief search and found some Ubuntu Forum threads relating to
>> n-computing:
>> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=012285703143635244993%3Ai9yr8qlpb18&q=n-computing&sa=Search&siteurl=crunchbang.org%2Fubunt u-search-engine%2F
>>
>> I'm unclear as to why this is necessary or desirable. Ubuntu is
>> already a multi-user system out of the box. The X Window system was
>> designed from the ground up to work over a network. Surely this has
>> been done before in a way that doesn't require a proprietary black
>> box?
>>

> Please let know who else has a form factor like that of the Ncomputing
> Targas.
>
> Too bad Ncomputing has to use a proprietary protocol of its own and are
> not able to create software up to the task. Otherwise, they would be
> keepers. Right now, I am glad to be rid of them. No more complaints
> about crashes, yada, yada.

From the mails, it feels that to run the Ubuntu (9.10) on multiple
nodes, we does not need any thing like n-computing. We can have one
Ubuntu loaded where as other 3-4 nodes can be run as thin client ??

Can anybody help me to point some good "howto" about this

Arun

Old 12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Andrew Kane wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I found that n-computing is a leading provider of Virtual PC
>>> solutions. They claim to have 5% of all student seat computing in US,
>>> K-12 public school.
>>>
>>> Can anybody help me out "how to" setup ncomputing (I have L230 and
>>> L130 models) with Ubuntu 9.10
>>> I also like users to share their experience about it.
>> I did a brief search and found some Ubuntu Forum threads relating to
>> n-computing:
>> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=012285703143635244993%3Ai9yr8qlpb18&q=n-computing&sa=Search&siteurl=crunchbang.org%2Fubunt u-search-engine%2F
>>
>> I'm unclear as to why this is necessary or desirable. Ubuntu is
>> already a multi-user system out of the box. The X Window system was
>> designed from the ground up to work over a network. Surely this has
>> been done before in a way that doesn't require a proprietary black
>> box?
>>

> Please let know who else has a form factor like that of the Ncomputing
> Targas.
>
> Too bad Ncomputing has to use a proprietary protocol of its own and are
> not able to create software up to the task. Otherwise, they would be
> keepers. Right now, I am glad to be rid of them. No more complaints
> about crashes, yada, yada.

After installing WindowsXP and Ubuntu 9.04 on a Shuttle Bare
Bones with a fast AMD cpu and a 640GB hdd and 2 gb RAM I
discovered why I like Ubuntu.

The brand new windows could not reach the wired Internet.
Ubuntu found it right away and had the driver needed.

Had to get a DVD reader so that I could install all the
drivers windows needed. Not sure how many were installed.

Then installed the D-Link WiFi hardware. Ubuntu came up and
Network Manager displayed two WiFi signals and I selected mine
and it asked for the password which I gave it, and forgot the
darn Keyring! I just didn't do a thing to it. It complained
the password would be unsafe but I could care less! But now
WiFi works fine.

Had to use the D-Link cd-rom to load the windows driver so
that WiFi works on Windows. You need to save the cd-rom
because the driver sometimes goes away.

Summary, windows is harder to load than Ubuntu 9.04 on a
computer.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2009, 18:13 +0530 schrieb Arun Shrimali:
> From the mails, it feels that to run the Ubuntu (9.10) on multiple
> nodes, we does not need any thing like n-computing. We can have one
> Ubuntu loaded where as other 3-4 nodes can be run as thin client ??
>
> Can anybody help me to point some good "howto" about this

see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP

ciao
oli

Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Arun Shrimali wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>> Andrew Kane wrote:

>>> I did a brief search and found some Ubuntu Forum threads relating to
>>> n-computing:
>>> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=012285703143635244993%3Ai9yr8qlpb18&q=n-computing&sa=Search&siteurl=crunchbang.org%2Fubunt u-search-engine%2F
>>>
>>> I'm unclear as to why this is necessary or desirable. Ubuntu is
>>> already a multi-user system out of the box. The X Window system was
>>> designed from the ground up to work over a network. Surely this has
>>> been done before in a way that doesn't require a proprietary black
>>> box?
>>>
>> Please let know who else has a form factor like that of the Ncomputing
>> Targas.
>>
>> Too bad Ncomputing has to use a proprietary protocol of its own and are
>> not able to create software up to the task. Otherwise, they would be
>> keepers. Right now, I am glad to be rid of them. No more complaints
>> about crashes, yada, yada.
>>
>> --
>>

> From the mails, it feels that to run the Ubuntu (9.10) on multiple
> nodes, we does not need any thing like n-computing.

Need to define node. If node means partition then it is
simple. I have many partitions on my computer each running a
version of Linux. But they run just one at a time.

Do you want all partitions running at the same time?

We can have one
> Ubuntu loaded where as other 3-4 nodes can be run as thin client ??

What is a thin client?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

Hey Karl,
> After installing WindowsXP and Ubuntu 9.04 on a Shuttle Bare
> Bones with a fast AMD cpu and a 640GB hdd and 2 gb RAM I
> discovered why I like Ubuntu.

Can I have your old parts/computer please? Just send it to Fourah Bay
College, Freetown, Sierra Leone.

> The brand new windows could not reach the wired Internet.
> Ubuntu found it right away and had the driver needed.
>
> Had to get a DVD reader so that I could install all the
> drivers windows needed. Not sure how many were installed.
>
> Then installed the D-Link WiFi hardware. Ubuntu came up and
> Network Manager displayed two WiFi signals and I selected mine
> and it asked for the password which I gave it, and forgot the
> darn Keyring! I just didn't do a thing to it. It complained
> the password would be unsafe but I could care less! But now
> WiFi works fine.
>
> Had to use the D-Link cd-rom to load the windows driver so
> that WiFi works on Windows. You need to save the cd-rom
> because the driver sometimes goes away.
>
> Summary, windows is harder to load than Ubuntu 9.04 on a
> computer.

Well, you can mostly skip the driver portion for Linux distros...the big
plus really is not having to reboot, then install, then reboot again,
etc, etc...then get infected when connecting to the Net before getting a
chance to install updates. :-D

Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 PM
drand

Hi Arun,

You can find specific OS support on the NComputing web site under Support.
The two best places to look are the Knowledge Base and the User Forum. I
took a quick look and saw that the X550 and X350 currently support Ubuntu
8.04 and the L130 and L230 currently support openSUSE 10.2.

The country of Macedonia is using NComputing with Linux (there's a case
study on the NComputing web site). Also, the Obama campaign used NComputing
in field offices with Linux (not sure which version), because of low cost,
easy set up, etc. So despite other posts, it does work.

If you run into problems during your test, please contact tech support.

-Dave