Old 12-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Jim Byrnes

Default Intermittent network connection problem

I have only been a Ubuntu(9.10) user for about a week now so my
terminology may not be completely correct.

I need to be able to connect to Ubuntu from my other machine that runs
OS/2 and about half the time I can. Other times OS/2 responds that the
network path is incorrect despite the fact that it is correct. The
times that I can connect if I go to the network places with the network
-> file browser I see 2 entries. One is a windows network entry with a
file folder for an icon and the other I assume is an unix-nfs entry that
has an icon that looks like a server rack.

The times I cannot connect the unix-nfs entry is missing. I have looked
for ways to enable it but have been unsuccessful. So far the only
solution is to reboot until I get a connection.

I don't understand why sometimes I can connect and others I cannot. Any
help would be appreciated.

Regards, Jim

Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Fred Roller

Jim Byrnes wrote:
> I have only been a Ubuntu(9.10) user for about a week now so my
> terminology may not be completely correct.

No problem, welcome to the community.
> I need to be able to connect to Ubuntu from my other machine that runs
> OS/2 and about half the time I can. Other times OS/2 responds that the
> network path is incorrect despite the fact that it is correct. The
> times that I can connect if I go to the network places with the network
> -> file browser I see 2 entries. One is a windows network entry with a
> file folder for an icon and the other I assume is an unix-nfs entry that
> has an icon that looks like a server rack

I am assuming that by "connecting" you are just trying to get a network
shared folder. Without knowing how your network is setup I will also
assume each machine has a share for moving documents. Does the windows
system have the same trouble with the ubuntu?
> The times I cannot connect the unix-nfs entry is missing. I have looked
> for ways to enable it but have been unsuccessful. So far the only
> solution is to reboot until I get a connection.
>
> I don't understand why sometimes I can connect and others I cannot. Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards, Jim

I don't know why OS/2 would have the connectivity problem. Have you set
up "Samba" on the Ubuntu sytem? Samba is a windows compatible file
sharing setup, read more here
http://www.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html . If you have not set up
Samba it's easy:

1. Right click on your desktop and choose "Create Folder"
2. Name it "Share Ubuntu"
3. Right click this folder and choose "Sharing Options"
4. For now check ALL three boxes

At this point if you do /not/ have Samba installed on your system you
will be prompted to do so. Once Samba is done then the "Share Ubuntu"
folder should have a hand under it indicating sharing. If not then just
repeat steps 3 and 4 again.

Go to your other system and go to "My Network" (or equivalent) you
should see your folder in "Workgroup". If this proves stable for you
then repeat as necessary on the folders you want to share from Ubuntu.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Jim Byrnes

Fred Roller wrote:
> Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> I have only been a Ubuntu(9.10) user for about a week now so my
>> terminology may not be completely correct.
>>

> No problem, welcome to the community.
>> I need to be able to connect to Ubuntu from my other machine that runs
>> OS/2 and about half the time I can. Other times OS/2 responds that the
>> network path is incorrect despite the fact that it is correct. The
>> times that I can connect if I go to the network places with the network
>> -> file browser I see 2 entries. One is a windows network entry with a
>> file folder for an icon and the other I assume is an unix-nfs entry that
>> has an icon that looks like a server rack
>>

> I am assuming that by "connecting" you are just trying to get a network
> shared folder. Without knowing how your network is setup I will also
> assume each machine has a share for moving documents. Does the windows
> system have the same trouble with the ubuntu?

Yes, I have a small home peer network with each machine having a defined
share. i can't test Window because Ubuntu is dual booted on that machine.

>> The times I cannot connect the unix-nfs entry is missing. I have looked
>> for ways to enable it but have been unsuccessful. So far the only
>> solution is to reboot until I get a connection.
>>
>> I don't understand why sometimes I can connect and others I cannot. Any
>> help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Regards, Jim
>>

> I don't know why OS/2 would have the connectivity problem. Have you set
> up "Samba" on the Ubuntu sytem? Samba is a windows compatible file
> sharing setup, read more here
> http://www.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html . If you have not set up
> Samba it's easy:

I installed and setup Samba and it all seemed to go smoothly.
I don't believe it is an OS/2 problem, at first I did but now I don't.
When OS/2 says it can't connect looking at network->file browser shows
only the Windows share not the Samara one that OS/2 uses. Just this
morning when I booted up only the Windows share was shown and I could
not connect with Os/2, I rebooted Ubuntu and this time there were two
network connections shown and OS/2 connected.

It is this inconsistent behavior that has me puzzled and I can't seem to
find a way to manually enable a connection once I have booted Ubuntu.

Thanks, Jim

Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 AM
NoOp

On 12/15/2009 07:37 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Fred Roller wrote:
>> I don't know why OS/2 would have the connectivity problem. Have you set
>> up "Samba" on the Ubuntu sytem? Samba is a windows compatible file
>> sharing setup, read more here
>> http://www.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html . If you have not set up
>> Samba it's easy:
>
> I installed and setup Samba and it all seemed to go smoothly.
> I don't believe it is an OS/2 problem, at first I did but now I don't.
> When OS/2 says it can't connect looking at network->file browser shows
> only the Windows share not the Samara one that OS/2 uses. Just this
> morning when I booted up only the Windows share was shown and I could
> not connect with Os/2, I rebooted Ubuntu and this time there were two
> network connections shown and OS/2 connected.
>
> It is this inconsistent behavior that has me puzzled and I can't seem to
> find a way to manually enable a connection once I have booted Ubuntu.

I do not have OS/2, so can't test. But maybe Win2KPro is close enough.

1. Are both sides using the same workgroup? Meaning ('mshome' or
'workgroup')? It's best if you try to keep them in the same.

2. Win2KPro (via VirtualBox) to a 9.10 also gets 'The network path was
not found'. But I think that's primarily a Win/Samba issue, as I find
the same can occur in other setups.

To overcome this, instead 'Map' the folder to a new drive. In Win2KPro
in Windows Explorer, this is Tools|Map Network Drive|Browse and be sure
to use "Connect using a different user name", follow the prompts to
enter the username and password for the for the Ubuntu machine & you
should then see the Ubuntu shared folder on drive E (whatever).

Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 AM
NoOp

On 12/16/2009 07:26 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/15/2009 07:37 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> Fred Roller wrote:
>>> I don't know why OS/2 would have the connectivity problem. Have you set
>>> up "Samba" on the Ubuntu sytem? Samba is a windows compatible file
>>> sharing setup, read more here
>>> http://www.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html . If you have not set up
>>> Samba it's easy:
>>
>> I installed and setup Samba and it all seemed to go smoothly.
>> I don't believe it is an OS/2 problem, at first I did but now I don't.
>> When OS/2 says it can't connect looking at network->file browser shows
>> only the Windows share not the Samara one that OS/2 uses. Just this
>> morning when I booted up only the Windows share was shown and I could
>> not connect with Os/2, I rebooted Ubuntu and this time there were two
>> network connections shown and OS/2 connected.
>>
>> It is this inconsistent behavior that has me puzzled and I can't seem to
>> find a way to manually enable a connection once I have booted Ubuntu.
>
> I do not have OS/2, so can't test. But maybe Win2KPro is close enough.
>
> 1. Are both sides using the same workgroup? Meaning ('mshome' or
> 'workgroup')? It's best if you try to keep them in the same.
>
> 2. Win2KPro (via VirtualBox) to a 9.10 also gets 'The network path was
> not found'. But I think that's primarily a Win/Samba issue, as I find
> the same can occur in other setups.
>
> To overcome this, instead 'Map' the folder to a new drive. In Win2KPro
> in Windows Explorer, this is Tools|Map Network Drive|Browse and be sure
> to use "Connect using a different user name", follow the prompts to
> enter the username and password for the for the Ubuntu machine & you
> should then see the Ubuntu shared folder on drive E (whatever).

Another datapoint that I've found inherent on nearly all Win systems
using Samba; if you click on "Entire Network" and then select the
appropriate workgroup & system from there, it works in most cases. Give
that a try as well.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Jim Byrnes

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/16/2009 07:26 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>> I installed and setup Samba and it all seemed to go smoothly.
>>> I don't believe it is an OS/2 problem, at first I did but now I don't.
>>> When OS/2 says it can't connect looking at network->file browser shows
>>> only the Windows share not the Samara one that OS/2 uses. Just this
>>> morning when I booted up only the Windows share was shown and I could
>>> not connect with Os/2, I rebooted Ubuntu and this time there were two
>>> network connections shown and OS/2 connected.
>>>
>>> It is this inconsistent behavior that has me puzzled and I can't seem to
>>> find a way to manually enable a connection once I have booted Ubuntu.
>>
>> I do not have OS/2, so can't test. But maybe Win2KPro is close enough.
>>
>> 1. Are both sides using the same workgroup? Meaning ('mshome' or
>> 'workgroup')? It's best if you try to keep them in the same.
>>
>> 2. Win2KPro (via VirtualBox) to a 9.10 also gets 'The network path was
>> not found'. But I think that's primarily a Win/Samba issue, as I find
>> the same can occur in other setups.
>>
>> To overcome this, instead 'Map' the folder to a new drive. In Win2KPro
>> in Windows Explorer, this is Tools|Map Network Drive|Browse and be sure
>> to use "Connect using a different user name", follow the prompts to
>> enter the username and password for the for the Ubuntu machine & you
>> should then see the Ubuntu shared folder on drive E (whatever).
>
> Another datapoint that I've found inherent on nearly all Win systems
> using Samba; if you click on "Entire Network" and then select the
> appropriate workgroup & system from there, it works in most cases. Give
> that a try as well.

Based on my experiences over the last couple of days I don't believe it
is an OS/2 problem. I don't have a lot of network expertise so I will
have to express this in layman's terms. Sometimes when Ubuntu boots it
does not initialize Samaba so there is nothing for other machines to
connect to. I believe this because if I use the Network file browser
when I cannot connect there is only a Windows network shown, but the
times I can connect there is a Samba and a Windows network displayed. If
I cannot connect the only solution I have found is to reboot Ubuntu
until I can connect.

I actually have XP running in VirtualBox already. I know that when I
can connect with OS/2 I can connect with XP. Because now after I boot
Ubuntu I check to see what network connections are available I have not
actually tested trying to connect with XP when OS/2 won't. I will test
this the next time I cannot connect with OS/2.

Thanks, Jim

Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM
NoOp

On 12/17/2009 09:08 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> Another datapoint that I've found inherent on nearly all Win systems
>> using Samba; if you click on "Entire Network" and then select the
>> appropriate workgroup & system from there, it works in most cases. Give
>> that a try as well.
>
> Based on my experiences over the last couple of days I don't believe it
> is an OS/2 problem. I don't have a lot of network expertise so I will
> have to express this in layman's terms. Sometimes when Ubuntu boots it
> does not initialize Samaba so there is nothing for other machines to
> connect to. I believe this because if I use the Network file browser
> when I cannot connect there is only a Windows network shown, but the
> times I can connect there is a Samba and a Windows network displayed. If
> I cannot connect the only solution I have found is to reboot Ubuntu
> until I can connect.

To check the status of samba:

$ /etc/init.d/samba status

Output should be:
$ /etc/init.d/samba status
* nmbd is running
* smbd is running

To start/stop/restart etc
$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba {start|stop|reload|restart|force-reload|status}

So if you find that samba is not running:
$ /etc/init.d/samba status
* could not access PID file for nmbd
* could not access PID file for smbd

you can restart:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba start

and then you should get the running status again:
$ /etc/init.d/samba status
* nmbd is running
* smbd is running

Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Jim Byrnes

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/17/2009 09:08 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>
>>> Another datapoint that I've found inherent on nearly all Win systems
>>> using Samba; if you click on "Entire Network" and then select the
>>> appropriate workgroup & system from there, it works in most cases. Give
>>> that a try as well.
>> Based on my experiences over the last couple of days I don't believe it
>> is an OS/2 problem. I don't have a lot of network expertise so I will
>> have to express this in layman's terms. Sometimes when Ubuntu boots it
>> does not initialize Samaba so there is nothing for other machines to
>> connect to. I believe this because if I use the Network file browser
>> when I cannot connect there is only a Windows network shown, but the
>> times I can connect there is a Samba and a Windows network displayed. If
>> I cannot connect the only solution I have found is to reboot Ubuntu
>> until I can connect.
>
> To check the status of samba:
>
> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
>
> Output should be:
> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
> * nmbd is running
> * smbd is running
>
> To start/stop/restart etc
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba {start|stop|reload|restart|force-reload|status}
>
> So if you find that samba is not running:
> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
> * could not access PID file for nmbd
> * could not access PID file for smbd
>
> you can restart:
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba start
>
> and then you should get the running status again:
> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
> * nmbd is running
> * smbd is running

NoOp,

Thanks alot for the detailed examples. They will save me a lot of
reboots.

Also, you helped me redefine the real problem and that is Samba not
starting. I just Googled that and see some hits, so maybe the longterm
solution lies there.

Thanks again, Jim

Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Jim Byrnes wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> Based on my experiences over the last couple of days I don't believe it
>>> is an OS/2 problem. I don't have a lot of network expertise so I will
>>> have to express this in layman's terms. Sometimes when Ubuntu boots it
>>> does not initialize Samaba so there is nothing for other machines to
>>> connect to. I believe this because if I use the Network file browser
>>> when I cannot connect there is only a Windows network shown, but the
>>> times I can connect there is a Samba and a Windows network displayed. If
>>> I cannot connect the only solution I have found is to reboot Ubuntu
>>> until I can connect.
>> To check the status of samba:
>>
>> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
>>
>> Output should be:
>> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
>> * nmbd is running
>> * smbd is running
>>
>> To start/stop/restart etc
>> $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba {start|stop|reload|restart|force-reload|status}
>>
>> So if you find that samba is not running:
>> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
>> * could not access PID file for nmbd
>> * could not access PID file for smbd
>>
>> you can restart:
>> $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba start
>>
>> and then you should get the running status again:
>> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
>> * nmbd is running
>> * smbd is running
>
> NoOp,
>
> Thanks alot for the detailed examples. They will save me a lot of
> reboots.
>
> Also, you helped me redefine the real problem and that is Samba not
> starting. I just Googled that and see some hits, so maybe the longterm
> solution lies there.
>
> Thanks again, Jim

small remark Noop: it's safer to use sudo service samba status instead
of the direct use of the scripts in /etc/int.d/
Joep

Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 PM
NoOp

On 12/17/2009 10:20 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> and then you should get the running status again:
>> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
>> * nmbd is running
>> * smbd is running
>
> NoOp,
>
> Thanks alot for the detailed examples. They will save me a lot of
> reboots.
>
> Also, you helped me redefine the real problem and that is Samba not
> starting. I just Googled that and see some hits, so maybe the longterm
> solution lies there.

Were I you, I'd simply reinstall samba at this point. You can of course
sort throught the config files etc., to pinpoint the problem, but the
easiest may be to purge and reinstall. From the gui:
System|Adminstraton|Synaptic...|Quick Search: samba|right-click: samba
|Mark for complete removal|Apply. Now click on 'samba' again & Mark for
installation|Apply.

From the cli/terminal:

$ sudo apt-get purge samba
$ sudo apt-get install samba