Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

Default Kernel modules: how to get some basic info about them ?

Hi,

I am trying to debug a problem with a piece of hardware (Wacom Tablet).
this involved compiling kernel modules.. which I have done numerous
times. The problem is that I have done so many experiments, that at
times I lose the track of things, and am not quite sure what kernel
module is running (the stock one from Ubuntu, or one of the ones I
compiled/installed manually).

What I would like to have, is a simple way to get basic info about a
currently running kernel module.
Something like:

$ <magic_command> <modulename>
<version number>
<path to module file>
<compiled on dd/mm/yy>

Something like that ideally :-)

Vince

Old 01-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Fred Schaer

Hi,
have you tried modinfo ?

Regards

Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

> have you tried modinfo ?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just tried it, looks nice, but
unfortunately it doesn't spit out enough information for me to be able
to tell if the module comes from Ubuntu, or if I compiled it myself.

I looked at the kernel module (wacom.ko is the one I am interested ),
with a hex file editor, extracted all the ASCII strings out of it, and
in an ocean (5,000+ strings ! :-O ), I spotted a few strings that were
helpful. Unfortunately, modinfo doesn't appear to display these
strings, argh.

Nevermind...

Vince

Old 01-06-2008, 11:37 AM
"Steve Flynn"

On Jan 5, 2008 5:05 PM, Vincent Trouilliez
<vincent.trouilliez@modulonet.fr> wrote:
> > have you tried modinfo ?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I have just tried it, looks nice, but
> unfortunately it doesn't spit out enough information for me to be able
> to tell if the module comes from Ubuntu, or if I compiled it myself.

At work, when I've amended some assembler which has been supplied to
us, I make sure I stick in an eyecatcher with my userid in there
somewhere. Thus, if I'm ever looking at a dump and I see my
eyecatchers I know not to hassle the vendor with a tainted dump until
I've ascertained that none of my code it to blame.

I can be as simple as an few bytes in the datablock with "Trouillez"
in them... If you're then trying to see if a module has been modified
or compiled by you, grep the module for your surname and you're
golden...

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:37:26 +0000
"Steve Flynn" <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:

> At work, when I've amended some assembler which has been supplied to
> us, I make sure I stick in an eyecatcher with my userid in there
> somewhere. Thus, if I'm ever looking at a dump and I see my
> eyecatchers I know not to hassle the vendor with a tainted dump until
> I've ascertained that none of my code it to blame.
>
> I can be as simple as an few bytes in the datablock with "Trouillez"
> in them... If you're then trying to see if a module has been modified
> or compiled by you, grep the module for your surname and you're
> golden...

Looks like overkill, but I like the idea, will try it out... thanks for
the suggestion.

--
Vince