Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
"Betsy Hansel"

Default Problems sending mail vai SMTP with Evolution

Hello,
I successfully set up my evolution POP3 email with one of my accounts about
a month ago and was using it without problems until today.

What happened today?

I added another email account that uses IMAP, leaving the POP3 as the
default account.

In trying to troubleshoot, I noticed that for some reason the POP3 Account
now specified using SSL encryption and "Plain" authentication. I changed
this to remove SSL encryption and set up login authentication. No luck.

I tried "forget passwords" since two weeks ago I updated my POP3 email
password and thought maybe the old one was stuck there. No luck.

Since I had not done a lot of customization, I deleted the POP3 account
entirely and set it up again. No luck.

I tried setting the IMAP account as my default, but I could not send from
that one either.

Other suggestions please?

Thank you!
Betsy

Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Betsy Hansel wrote:
> Hello,
> I successfully set up my evolution POP3 email with one of my accounts about
> a month ago and was using it without problems until today.
>
> What happened today?
>
> I added another email account that uses IMAP, leaving the POP3 as the
> default account.
>
> In trying to troubleshoot, I noticed that for some reason the POP3 Account
> now specified using SSL encryption and "Plain" authentication. I changed
> this to remove SSL encryption and set up login authentication. No luck.
>
> I tried "forget passwords" since two weeks ago I updated my POP3 email
> password and thought maybe the old one was stuck there. No luck.
>
> Since I had not done a lot of customization, I deleted the POP3 account
> entirely and set it up again. No luck.
>
> I tried setting the IMAP account as my default, but I could not send from
> that one either.
>
> Other suggestions please?
>
> Thank you!
> Betsy

Hello, I am no help, really but you should just wait about 24
hours and then look at your setup again. I am trying to set up
a email account for my wife and I think it is:

larsen.juanita@gmail.com
but it is not working. So will give it another period to
simmer and look again.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Steve

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:14:46 -0000, Betsy Hansel <bghansel@aol.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I successfully set up my evolution POP3 email with one of my accounts
> about
> a month ago and was using it without problems until today.
>
> What happened today?
>
> I added another email account that uses IMAP, leaving the POP3 as the
> default account.
>
> In trying to troubleshoot, I noticed that for some reason the POP3
> Account
> now specified using SSL encryption and "Plain" authentication. I changed
> this to remove SSL encryption and set up login authentication. No luck.
>
> I tried "forget passwords" since two weeks ago I updated my POP3 email
> password and thought maybe the old one was stuck there. No luck.
>
> Since I had not done a lot of customization, I deleted the POP3 account
> entirely and set it up again. No luck.
>
> I tried setting the IMAP account as my default, but I could not send from
> that one either.
>
> Other suggestions please?
>
> Thank you!
> Betsy

I haven’t used evolution for a while but I seem to remember having
problems with the port numbers and check the smtp address as this can get
muddled with multiple accounts.

--
Steve

Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Betsy Hansel wrote:
> Hello,
> I successfully set up my evolution POP3 email with one of my accounts about
> a month ago and was using it without problems until today.
>
> What happened today?
>
> I added another email account that uses IMAP, leaving the POP3 as the
> default account.
>
> In trying to troubleshoot, I noticed that for some reason the POP3 Account
> now specified using SSL encryption and "Plain" authentication. I changed
> this to remove SSL encryption and set up login authentication. No luck.
>
> I tried "forget passwords" since two weeks ago I updated my POP3 email
> password and thought maybe the old one was stuck there. No luck.
>
> Since I had not done a lot of customization, I deleted the POP3 account
> entirely and set it up again. No luck.
>
> I tried setting the IMAP account as my default, but I could not send from
> that one either.
>
> Other suggestions please?
>
> Thank you!
> Betsy

Why do you change up your system and then ask for help? Easier to fix
without all the redos.
FWIW, What does you ISP say to use for security? I use ATTYahoo DSL,
which requires SSL/TSL security
and when I set TB or SM Mail and News Group using SSL/TSL it connects
and downloads my mail.
I don't use Evolution, seemed buggy and didn't like the format, but I
think if you go over the setup,
slowly and carefully, using what your ISP says to use for your security
settings and pop, smtp settings it should work.
In case Evolution app got corrupted, you could purge it and reinstall.
You could also try Thunderbird and or Seamonkey
Mail and News group. I'm no emal expert, but I've found that if you set
up the pop and smtp server correctly and security
settings correctly and use the password given by your ISP, it just
works, for me anyway. Your ISP can tell you what your
current password is after verifying who you are. Which is better than
guessing. I've never used IMAP, so can't suggest
anything there. If I were you, I would purge and reinstall evolutions,
then after talking with your ISP and confirming the
current pop3, smtp server settings, security settings and your password,
set up evolution again. HTH you fix your issue.

Len