Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Colin Law

Default pulseaudio killing sound on Karmic

Hi
I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed on a Toshiba A100-197. Sound was not
working and when looked at the devices in the pulseaudio volume
control all I saw was Dummy Output (or something similar). When I
played something the output could be seen in the amplitude bars but no
sound was heard.

After a lot of googling and trying various things I discovered that if
I remove pulseaudio and use the alsa mixer directly it works ok, which
came as a surprise to me as up till then I had assumed that it was a
lower level problem. When I install pulseaudio again the sound stops.
I have fiddled with settings in pulseaudio to no avail. Any
suggestions as to how to analyse or fix the problem?

aplay -l shows
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC861 Analog [ALC861 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Colin

Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 PM
"Mark C. Miller"

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 21:01:51 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> Hi
> I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed on a Toshiba A100-197. Sound was not
> working and when looked at the devices in the pulseaudio volume control
> all I saw was Dummy Output (or something similar). When I played
> something the output could be seen in the amplitude bars but no sound
> was heard.
>
> After a lot of googling and trying various things I discovered that if I
> remove pulseaudio and use the alsa mixer directly it works ok, which
> came as a surprise to me as up till then I had assumed that it was a
> lower level problem. When I install pulseaudio again the sound stops.
> I have fiddled with settings in pulseaudio to no avail. Any
> suggestions as to how to analyse or fix the problem?
>
> aplay -l shows
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC861 Analog [ALC861 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
> Subdevices: 0/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Colin

I lost my audio when I upgraded to 9.10. I installed pulse audio and
then I played around with it for a long time until I found the following
combination:

system
sound preferences
output
analog mono output/no amplifier

mcm

--
Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA

Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Colin Law

2009/12/14 Mark C. Miller <mr.mcmiller@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 21:01:51 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed on a Toshiba A100-197. *Sound was not
>> working and when looked at the devices in the pulseaudio volume control
>> all I saw was Dummy Output (or something similar). *When I played
>> something the output could be seen in the amplitude bars but no sound
>> was heard.
>>
>> After a lot of googling and trying various things I discovered that if I
>> remove pulseaudio and use the alsa mixer directly it works ok, which
>> came as a surprise to me as up till then I had assumed that it was a
>> lower level problem. *When I install pulseaudio again the sound stops.
>> *I have fiddled with settings in pulseaudio to no avail. *Any
>> suggestions as to how to analyse or fix the problem?
>>
>> aplay -l shows
>> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC861 Analog [ALC861 Analog]
>> * Subdevices: 1/1
>> * Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
>> * Subdevices: 0/1
>> * Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>
>> Colin
>
> I lost my audio when I upgraded to 9.10. *I installed pulse audio and
> then I played around with it for a long time until I found the following
> combination:
>
> system
> sound preferences
> output
> analog mono output/no amplifier

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately that is not an option for
me as I only have Dummy Output available.

Colin

Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM
NoOp

On 12/14/2009 01:01 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> Hi
> I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed on a Toshiba A100-197. Sound was not
> working and when looked at the devices in the pulseaudio volume
> control all I saw was Dummy Output (or something similar). When I
> played something the output could be seen in the amplitude bars but no
> sound was heard.
>
> After a lot of googling and trying various things I discovered that if
> I remove pulseaudio and use the alsa mixer directly it works ok, which
> came as a surprise to me as up till then I had assumed that it was a
> lower level problem. When I install pulseaudio again the sound stops.
> I have fiddled with settings in pulseaudio to no avail. Any
> suggestions as to how to analyse or fix the problem?
>
> aplay -l shows
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC861 Analog [ALC861 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
> Subdevices: 0/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Maybe related?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/391114
[[karmic]snd_hda_intel: audio moves to polling mode and starts repeating
(Toshiba A100-259/ATI IXP SB4x0 HD/ALC861)]

Old 12-15-2009, 05:49 PM
NoOp

On 12/15/2009 10:40 AM, NoOp wrote:
> Maybe related?
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/391114
> [[karmic]snd_hda_intel: audio moves to polling mode and starts repeating
> (Toshiba A100-259/ATI IXP SB4x0 HD/ALC861)]

Sorry, I was too quick on the send button & forgot to add these:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ALC861+Analog+%2Bpulseaudio>
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=Toshiba+A100+%2Bpulseaudio>

Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Colin Law

2009/12/15 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> On 12/15/2009 10:40 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> Maybe related?
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/391114
>> [[karmic]snd_hda_intel: audio moves to polling mode and starts repeating
>> (Toshiba A100-259/ATI IXP SB4x0 HD/ALC861)]
>>

> Sorry, I was too quick on the send button & forgot to add these:
> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ALC861+Analog+%2Bpulseaudio>
> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=Toshiba+A100+%2Bpulseaudio>

Thanks NoOp, I had waded through a fair number of reports without
finding one that seemed to entirely match my problem. I shall have to
carry on wading I think.

Colin