Old 12-14-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Horrible SAMBA problem, continued

Thanks to TomH for following up on my previous request (alas both my request and his response are on a different machine, since I'm currently out of town and desperate to get this problem solved when I get back)

The issue is how to get a windows workstation to become a member of a domain using samba's "on the fly" addition. It would appear that some variant of NET JOIN would be the appropriate way to do this, but I can't figure out how it would be done. The MAN page of the NET command appears to suggest that the -I or -S command identifies a target server, which would be appropriate to use for a linux member server to join a samba domain, but I don't see an option to indicate that a server can invite a workstation to join. In looking at the windows side, I don't see an equivalent to net -S join that can enable a windows workstation to request an account on a samba domain. If memory serves, TomH indicated also that this was the case. Can somebody explain?

Thanks

cheers,
pete

Old 12-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Tom H

> Thanks to TomH for following up on my previous request
> (alas both my request and his response are on a
> different machine, since I'm currently out of town and
> desperate to get this problem solved when I get back).
> The issue is how to get a windows workstation to
> become a member of a domain using samba's "on the fly"
> addition. It would appear that some variant of NET
> JOIN would be the appropriate way to do this, but I
> can't figure out how it would be done. The MAN page of
> the NET command appears to suggest that the -I or -S
> command identifies a target server, which would be
> appropriate to use for a linux member server to join a
> samba domain, but I don't see an option to indicate
> that a server can invite a workstation to join. In
> looking at the windows side, I don't see an equivalent
> to net -S join that can enable a windows workstation
> to request an account on a samba domain. If memory
> serves, TomH indicated also that this was the case.
> Can somebody explain?

You're welcome.

I have deleted our earlier emails and do not have the time to look
them up in the archives at the moment.

I think that I said that you could join a Samba domain at the cli from
a Linux box with "net rpc join ..." and that you could create a
machine account while logged in to a Windows PDC with "net computer
..."

If you want to create a machine account for a Windows box while logged
in to that box, you have to use the GUI ("Windows-Pause" then change
the "Computer name" settings to join a Domain rather than a
Workgroup). Or, and I have never tried it with a Samba PDC, use the
Windows cli tool "netdom" that may or may not be installed by default
on Win2kPro/XPPro/Win7someversion (I do not use them at home and they
have this at work but the builds are customized) but it is on the
install CD.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 AM
NoOp

On 12/14/2009 08:03 AM, pclapham@windstream.net wrote:
> Thanks to TomH for following up on my previous request (alas both my
> request and his response are on a different machine, since I'm
> currently out of town and desperate to get this problem solved when I
> get back)
>
> The issue is how to get a windows workstation to become a member of a
> domain using samba's "on the fly" addition. It would appear that
> some variant of NET JOIN would be the appropriate way to do this, but
> I can't figure out how it would be done. The MAN page of the NET
> command appears to suggest that the -I or -S command identifies a
> target server, which would be appropriate to use for a linux member
> server to join a samba domain, but I don't see an option to indicate
> that a server can invite a workstation to join. In looking at the
> windows side, I don't see an equivalent to net -S join that can
> enable a windows workstation to request an account on a samba domain.
> If memory serves, TomH indicated also that this was the case. Can
> somebody explain?
>
> Thanks
>
> cheers, pete

I'm confused... and also haven't the time to look at your other msgs;
however if you have a shared folder on your server, the Win clients will
be able to access your shared folder(s) providing: 1) they on the same
workgroup (mshome, workgroup, etc., whatever you've decided upon) & even
this is no longer much of an issue with samba in karmic, 2) log in to
the samba server using the same login name and password that you've
assigned to them.

This is a bit dated, but offers good advise for setting up SMB on Windows:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComprehensiveSambaGuide
But the point is that you really shouldn't have to do much to setup
samba access.
All of my Win test machines (I've 7 of them) access my samba shares
(on hardy, jaunty & karmic) w/o issue and without any added client setup
on their side. They do of course have to login to access the shared
folders on my Ubuntu machines.

So, perhaps to recap maybe you can: 1) define your environment again
(including what you have setup on the Ubuntu machine), and 2) what
folders you have set up for sharing (again on the Ubuntu machine).
Details are helpful, and if you wish to post samba files make sure they
contain no security information and are posted to someplace like
http://pastebin.com instead of to the list.

More refs for samba:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/configuring-samba.html