Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail

Default Shutdown Timeout

Hi all, I usually get a sleep while watching some movie or something, leaving my computer on.
I sometimes execute a sudo shutdown etc....
Is there a more friendly way? like a button? so that my wife may do it? (not trying to be a chauvinistic pig) but I want her to do it some times...

:-)
f(t)

Old 12-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Andrew Farris

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 12:30 -0300, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:
> Hi all, I usually get a sleep while watching some movie or something,
> leaving my computer on.
[snip]
> Is there a more friendly way? like a button?

By default the user switcher lets you do that... alternatively, it
should be available under "System > Shut Down" is you removed the user
switcher from your panel.

Alternatively, you can just add a shutdown button (Right click on panel
> Add to panel | Search for "shut down")

Hope that helps

--
Andrew

Old 12-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail

Thanks, it was more about configuring the TIME it will take to shutdown, lets say 2 hours, than the shutdown itself.
Nevertheless If i were to change it from system settings it will remain the same, until I change it again.

I was looking for a more dynamic app. Kind of like a shutdown button, with a popup and a field to specify the time, or the timeout period.

(best seen in courrier new) :-)

[ShutdownButton]

** * * ||
** * * || click
*__________________
| Time or Timeout *|
| *_____________ * |
| | * * 120m * *|* | *<== Type 120m, 2h, 1.5h, 30000ms, etc.| *------------- * |
| * * * _______ * *|
| * * *| *OK * | * || * * * ------- * *|
|__________________|

It will be awesome to program it and start doing something on ubuntu.

:-)
f(t)

Old 12-20-2009, 12:05 PM
"Shahar Dag"

Hello
*
try a script that first calls*xdialog to get
the time and then calls shutdown -h -t with that time
*
Shahar
*
*

Thanks, it was more about configuring the TIME it will take to
shutdown, lets say 2 hours, than the shutdown itself.
Nevertheless If i
were to change it from system settings it will remain the same, until I change
it again.
I was looking for a more dynamic app. Kind of like a shutdown
button, with a popup and a field to specify the time, or the timeout
period.

(best seen in courrier new) :-)

[ShutdownButton]
** * *
** * * || click
*__________________

Time or Timeout *|
| *_____________ * |

*------------- * |
* * _______ * *|
| * * *| *OK
* | * |
* * ------- * *|
|__________________|

Trepat - gmail wrote:
> > Hi all, I usually get a sleep while
watching some movie or something,
> > leaving my computer on.

[snip]
> > Is there a more friendly way? like a
button?

> By default the user switcher lets you do that...
alternatively, it
> should be available under "System > Shut Down" is
you removed the user
> switcher from your panel.

Alternatively, you can just add a shutdown button (Right click on
panel
> > Add to panel | Search for "shut down")
>
> Hope
that helps