Old 12-14-2009, 01:57 AM
"Russ Foster"

Default Another display problem question

I have a HP Pavilion laptop with an ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M graphics card,
running Ubuntu 9.04 with Gnome desktop.

I tried running an ATI upgrade, but now my display is scrambled. I can
boot, go through GRUB, get the splash screen, but just as it switches into
what should be the log in screen the display goes to garbage (it's
scrambled, not completely blank).

Ctrl-Alt-F1 does nothing. But pressing the power button does begin an APCI
shutdown--so I know it's not completely locked up.

I added 'driver "vesa" ' to xorg.conf, but the results are the same. I also
tried copying a previous xorg.conf, but that doesn't help either. Nor does
"sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" have any affect.

If someone can point me in the right direction on what I can do, it would be
great.

Thanks.

-r

Russ Foster

Old 12-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I tried running an ATI upgrade, but now my display is
> scrambled.* I can
> boot, go through GRUB, get the splash screen, but just as
> it switches into
> what should be the log in screen the display goes to
> garbage (it's
> scrambled, not completely blank).
>
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 does nothing. But pressing the power button
> does begin an APCI
> shutdown--so I know it's not completely locked up.
>
> I added 'driver "vesa" ' to xorg.conf, but the results are
> the same.* I also
> tried copying a previous xorg.conf, but that doesn't help
> either.* Nor does
> "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" have any affect.
>
> If someone can point me in the right direction on what I
> can do, it would be
> great.
>
> Thanks.

There seems to be some issues with the proprietary driver and you ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M graphics card. See below:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308964 -r

Also google for <your card ID+jaunty+driver> which brings up several hits of interest. I didn't read all of it but you may have to end up using the non-proprietary driver.
Good reading,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Russ Foster

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 07:37:48 -0800 (PST), Leonard Chatagnier
<lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> --- On Sun, 12/13/09, Russ Foster <rjf@russfoster.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried running an ATI upgrade, but now my display is
>> scrambled.* I can
>> boot, go through GRUB, get the splash screen, but just as
>> it switches into
>> what should be the log in screen the display goes to
>> garbage (it's
>> scrambled, not completely blank).
>>

> There seems to be some issues with the proprietary driver and you ATI
> Radeon XPRESS 200M graphics card. See below:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308964 -r
>
> Also google for <your card ID+jaunty+driver> which brings up several hits
> of interest. I didn't read all of it but you may have to end up using
the
> non-proprietary driver.

Leonard,

Thanks for the link. I tried googling the info before but I got so many
conflicting answers, I tried several without any success. The link you
posted did the trick.

Thanks again.

-r

Old 12-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Russ Foster wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 07:37:48 -0800 (PST), Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> --- On Sun, 12/13/09, Russ Foster<rjf@russfoster.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I tried running an ATI upgrade, but now my display is
>>> scrambled. I can
>>> boot, go through GRUB, get the splash screen, but just as
>>> it switches into
>>> what should be the log in screen the display goes to
>>> garbage (it's
>>> scrambled, not completely blank).
>>>

>> There seems to be some issues with the proprietary driver and you ATI
>> Radeon XPRESS 200M graphics card. See below:
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308964 -r
>>
>> Also google for<your card ID+jaunty+driver> which brings up several hits
>> of interest. I didn't read all of it but you may have to end up using
> the
>> non-proprietary driver.
>
> Leonard,
>
> Thanks for the link. I tried googling the info before but I got so many
> conflicting answers, I tried several without any success. The link you
> posted did the trick.
>
> Thanks again.

Very glad to be of help and happy to hear you fixed it. Enjoy Ubuntu!

Leonard
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net