Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 AM
David Harel

Default The new karmic login screen

Hi there,

Just installed V 9.10. I like the login very much and I want to install
it on my production installation V9.04.

Which package contains this solution?

--
Regards.

David Harel,

==================================

Home office +972 77 7657645
Cellular: +972 54 4534502
Snail Mail: Amuka
D.N Merom Hagalil
13802
Israel
Email: hareldvd@ergolight-sw.com

Old 12-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Andrew Farris

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 10:05 +0200, David Harel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Just installed V 9.10. I like the login very much and I want to
> install it on my production installation V9.04.
> Which package contains this solution?

Is this a desktop or a server? For a desktop the operation is fairly
simple, just run the update-manager (System > Administration > Update
Manager) and when you check for updates, provided you're up-to-date,
then there should be a button across the top that says "New Distribution
Available" and you click that to upgrade.

For a server, I'm a bit fuzzy... I believe all you have to run is
"do-release-upgrade" and that tool should handle everything for you,
provided you are already fully up-to-date on your packages.

Hope that helps.

--
Andrew

Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
n3mo

Hi
This new login or whatever you called it is just the look of new GDM. But i think that you will need to dist-upgrade 9.04 to 9.10 to get this new version of gdm. I'm not sure, but try
good luck,
Ned

2009/12/14 Andrew Farris <flyindragon1@aol.com>

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 10:05 +0200, David Harel wrote:

> Hi there,

> Just installed V 9.10. I like the login very much and I want to

> install it on my production installation V9.04.

> Which package contains this solution?

Is this a desktop or a server? For a desktop the operation is fairly

simple, just run the update-manager (System > Administration > Update

Manager) and when you check for updates, provided you're up-to-date,

then there should be a button across the top that says "New Distribution

Available" and you click that to upgrade.

For a server, I'm a bit fuzzy... I believe all you have to run is

"do-release-upgrade" and that tool should handle everything for you,

provided you are already fully up-to-date on your packages.

Hope that helps.

--

Andrew

_____________________________

Registered Linux User: 473690

Registered Ubuntu User: 22747

Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Tom H

>> Just installed V 9.10. I like the login very much and I want to
>> install it on my production installation V9.04.
>> Which package contains this solution?

> Is this a desktop or a server? For a desktop the operation is fairly
> simple, just run the update-manager (System > Administration > Update
> Manager) and when you check for updates, provided you're up-to-date,
> then there should be a button across the top that says "New Distribution
> Available" and you click that to upgrade.

> For a server, I'm a bit fuzzy... I believe all you have to run is
> "do-release-upgrade" and that tool should handle everything for you,
> provided you are already fully up-to-date on your packages.

If I understand correctly, The OP wants to use the 9.10 version of gdm
in 9.04 not upgrade his 9.04 to 9.10.

It may be possible through backports but I suspect that gdm is too big
and crucial for this.

OT: Ubuntu desktop can be upgraded through the cli with
"do-release-upgrade -m desktop". Without the "-m desktop",
"do-release-upgrade" defaults to "do-release-upgrade -m server".

Old 12-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Andrew Farris

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 00:36 +0100, Tom H wrote:
[snip]
> If I understand correctly, The OP wants to use the 9.10 version of gdm
> in 9.04 not upgrade his 9.04 to 9.10.
>
> It may be possible through backports but I suspect that gdm is too big
> and crucial for this.
>
> OT: Ubuntu desktop can be upgraded through the cli with
> "do-release-upgrade -m desktop". Without the "-m desktop",
> "do-release-upgrade" defaults to "do-release-upgrade -m server".

Thanks for that correction/info... I just realized my mistake upon
reading over everything again...my mistake.

--
Andrew