Old 12-13-2009, 04:37 PM
kate

Default Installing Tar

How do I install a Tar file, used terminal without any success.

Thanks Kate

Old 12-13-2009, 04:43 PM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

Kate wrote:
>How do I install a Tar file, used terminal without any success.

Try: tar xfvz tarfile.tar.gz
Or: tar xfvj tarfile.tar.bz2
Or tar xfv tarfile.tar

Notice the extension differences. This assuming you want to extract tar file, not creating them.

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 12-13-2009, 05:02 PM
James Kaufman

Old 12-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Andrew Farris

On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 17:43 +0000, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> Kate wrote:
> >How do I install a Tar file, used terminal without any success.
>
> Try: tar xfvz tarfile.tar.gz
> Or: tar xfvj tarfile.tar.bz2
> Or tar xfv tarfile.tar
>
> Notice the extension differences. This assuming you want to extract tar file, not creating them.

What are you actually trying to accomplish by 'installing a tar file'?
If you're trying to install a program, chances are there's probably a
better/easier way to accomplish it.

--
Andrew

Old 12-13-2009, 06:15 PM
R Kimber

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 17:43:16 +0000
Anthony M. Rasat wrote:

> >How do I install a Tar file, used terminal without any success.
>
> Try: tar xfvz tarfile.tar.gz
> Or: tar xfvj tarfile.tar.bz2
> Or tar xfv tarfile.tar
>
> Notice the extension differences. This assuming you want to extract tar
> file, not creating them.

I tend to create a directory and perform one of the above actions from
within that directory, because I find that some tar files just dump their
extracted files in the current directory. This can be rather messy if the
current directory contains a lot of files. Most tar files don't behave
like this, but I like to play safe.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 12-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Swapneel Patnekar

> I tend to create a directory and perform one of the above actions from
> within that directory, because I find that some tar files just dump their
> extracted files in the current directory. This can be rather messy if the
> current directory contains a lot of files. Most tar files don't behave
> like this, but I like to play safe.
>
> - Richard.

You can use the 't' option/flag of tar to determine if the archive
contains a folder and all files/folders inside it or
if it does not have such a directory hierarchy.

tar tvzf archive.tar.gz
tar tvjf archive.tar.bz2
tar tvf archive.tar

Cheers !

Old 12-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Tom H

>> I tend to create a directory and perform one of the above actions from
>> within that directory, because I find that some tar files just dump their
>> extracted files in the current directory. This can be rather messy if the
>> current directory contains a lot of files. Most tar files don't behave
>> like this, but I like to play safe.

> You can use the 't' option/flag of tar to determine if the archive
> contains a folder and all files/folders inside it or
> if it does not have such a directory hierarchy.

> tar tvzf archive.tar.gz
> tar tvjf archive.tar.bz2
> tar tvf archive.tar

And if does not have a directory in the tarball, you can create a
directory into which to untar it
mkdir dir4tar
tar xvf archive -C dir4tar

Old 12-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Mohamad Faizul

tar xzvf file.tar.gz && cd file && ./configure && make && make install

On 12/14/09, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I tend to create a directory and perform one of the above actions from
>>> within that directory, because I find that some tar files just dump their
>>> extracted files in the current directory. This can be rather messy if the
>>> current directory contains a lot of files. Most tar files don't behave
>>> like this, but I like to play safe.
>
>> You can use the 't' option/flag of tar to determine if the archive
>> contains a folder and all files/folders inside it or
>> if it does not have such a directory hierarchy.
>
>> tar tvzf archive.tar.gz
>> tar tvjf archive.tar.bz2
>> tar tvf archive.tar
>
> And if does not have a directory in the tarball, you can create a
> directory into which to untar it
> mkdir dir4tar
> tar xvf archive -C dir4tar

73 DE 9W2PJU

http://piju.fakap.net
http://9w2pju.blogspot.com
http://launchpad.net/~mypiju

Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

kate wrote:
> How do I install a Tar file, used terminal without any success.
>

> Thanks Kate

I assume you have a tar file of the form filename.tar or
perhaps filename.tar.gz if it has been made smaller.

You do this a lot and my suggestion is you look at man tar
and see the many things you can do. If you still have
questions ask them from the man page which we can all look at.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-13-2009, 10:11 PM
R Kimber

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:50:19 +0100
Tom H wrote:

> And if does not have a directory in the tarball, you can create a
> directory into which to untar it
> mkdir dir4tar
> tar xvf archive -C dir4tar

Indeed. But it's probably quicker to create the directory, move to it, and
use the usual command as it is to look inside the file and then decide to
use the above variant. Habitual practices can be quite efficient.

- Richard.