Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Ray Parrish

Default Permission denied error message.

Hello,

I am trying to run a script I wrote, and I get the following
non-specific error message -

ray@RaysComputer:~$ /home/ray/SoftwareReport/WriteHTML.sh "gedit"
bash: /home/ray/SoftwareReport/WriteHTML.sh: Permission denied

The script has been given permissions to execute for myself as user, and
the group.

The script is too big to paste in here, but maybe the main program can
give someone a clue, as I have no idea what else could cause this error.
Here is the main program for the script.

# Main program starts here.
#
# Declare global array.
declare -a LineData
# Declare global variables.
declare -i LoopCount=0
declare -i URLCount=0
DirectoryName=`dirname $0`
echo "Directory name - $DirectoryName"
cd $DirectoryName
# Get the passed in PackageName for this run of the script.
PackageName="$1"
# Load the array with lines from "dpkg -p $PackageName" output.
ReadintoArray
# Get the section name for this package.
SectionName=`GetSectionName`
# Generate filename for this section's HTML file.
FileName="$SectionName.html"
# Output results of this script to this package's HTML file.
cat >>"$DirectoryName/$FileName" << EOF
`WriteTopSection`
`WriteDescription`
`WriteEndSection`
</tbody></table>
EOF
exit

Can anyone please tell me some of the common causes for the Permission
Denied error message please?

Thank you, Ray Parrish

--
The Future of Technology.
http://www.rayslinks.com/The%20Future%20of%20Technology.html

Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Ray Parrish

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run a script I wrote, and I get the following
> non-specific error message -
>
> ray@RaysComputer:~$ /home/ray/SoftwareReport/WriteHTML.sh "gedit"
> bash: /home/ray/SoftwareReport/WriteHTML.sh: Permission denied
>
> The script has been given permissions to execute for myself as user, and
> the group.
>
> The script is too big to paste in here, but maybe the main program can
> give someone a clue, as I have no idea what else could cause this error.
> Here is the main program for the script.
>
> # Main program starts here.
> #
> # Declare global array.
> declare -a LineData
> # Declare global variables.
> declare -i LoopCount=0
> declare -i URLCount=0
> DirectoryName=`dirname $0`
> echo "Directory name - $DirectoryName"
> cd $DirectoryName
> # Get the passed in PackageName for this run of the script.
> PackageName="$1"
> # Load the array with lines from "dpkg -p $PackageName" output.
> ReadintoArray
> # Get the section name for this package.
> SectionName=`GetSectionName`
> # Generate filename for this section's HTML file.
> FileName="$SectionName.html"
> # Output results of this script to this package's HTML file.
> cat >>"$DirectoryName/$FileName" << EOF
> `WriteTopSection`
> `WriteDescription`
> `WriteEndSection`
> </tbody></table>
> EOF
> exit
>
> Can anyone please tell me some of the common causes for the Permission
> Denied error message please?
>
> Thank you, Ray Parrish

Never mind, I was checking the permissions on a similarly named file,
instead of the script I was trying to execute. Duuuuhhhh!!! 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish