Old 12-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Patrick Drechsler

Default ubuntu server on netbook

Hi,

I'm considering using a netbook (3epc with 8bg ssd) for a simple
home-network server. I mainly just want to experiment with stuff like
lamp etc. The data for mysql will be placed on a nas device.

Which approach would you recommend for installing an OS on the 3epc?

B: install Ubuntu server edition and then get all 3epc kernel modules?

C: Or is there a netbook-server linux which is made for this purpose?

Any pointers?

TIA, Patrick

Old 12-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Brian McKee

I'm considering using a netbook (3epc with 8bg ssd) for a simple
home-network server. I mainly just want to experiment with stuff like
lamp etc. The data for mysql will be placed on a nas device.
Which approach would you recommend for installing an OS on the 3epc?

UNR then the lamp packages you need should be easier.

The server packages won't give you any advantage on that hardware.

Brian--

Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Chris G

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 04:38:49PM +0100, Patrick Drechsler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering using a netbook (3epc with 8bg ssd) for a simple
> home-network server. I mainly just want to experiment with stuff like
> lamp etc. The data for mysql will be placed on a nas device.
>
> Which approach would you recommend for installing an OS on the 3epc?
>
> A: Something like Ubuntu net remix (UNR), then installing lamp or the
> other way around
>
> B: install Ubuntu server edition and then get all 3epc kernel modules?
>
> C: Or is there a netbook-server linux which is made for this purpose?

I have an Acer Aspre Revo (sort of netbook without a screen), I've
installed Ubuntu Server 9.10 on that and find it works pretty well.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Patrick Drechsler

Brian and Chris: Thanks for your replies!

It seems that both approaches are possible, which is good to know. I'll
probably go with the UNR setup and just add the lamp stuff afterwards.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Patrick