Old 12-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Amichai Rotman

Default How do I create my own Repo?

Hello,

I would like to create a script that will use wget to pull ZIP and ISO files of various different tools from the 'Net and put it all in one directory on my local machine. Then I'd like to build an ISO or image I can burn to a CD or a USB stick to take with me to a customer.

My Idea is to have the ultimate toolbox to walk around with, but I would also like it to be the latest version of each tool in the box...

Is there something out there that meet the following requirements:

1. I'd like it to be as unattended as possible.
2. All free (either Freeware or GPL)
3. Easy to manage.

My scenario is: I get a call from a customer, I pop an emty media in the drive (or a USB stick), run a command from the console, pop the media / USB stick out and go - knowing I have the most recent versions on it...

There's also the matter of the Tools List - some of them (I regret to say) deal with that other OS out there...

Thanks!

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Old 12-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Andrew Farris

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 09:51 +0200, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to create a script that will use wget to pull ZIP and ISO
> files of various different tools from the 'Net and put it all in one
> directory on my local machine. Then I'd like to build an ISO or image
> I can burn to a CD or a USB stick to take with me to a customer.

Are you trying to do this so you have an Ubuntu environment that you can
use to live-boot on customer's computers to repaier them, or are you
wanting to pull down some run-on-windows programs and just unzip them to
your drive?

If the former, you could just get a USB stick, and put an ubuntu liveCD
on there with persistence set up. This tutorial here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence
should help you get that set up. It is a bit dated, but I believe it's
still valid.

As for the latter, i think your idea of writing a script to do that may
be the easiest option, since you know already what programs you want on
there... However, you may find some difficulty with this as the few
programs I use that could benefit from a script like this has their
release numbers in the url to download them... therefore you'd have to
add something in your script to recursively change the version numbers,
and try to download it that way...or find a mirror that doesn't use the
release number in the name.

Asanother alternative...a lot of these programs have some sort of
built-in update feature,that often rests as a seperate program someplace
in the program directory...you could always make a script to call that
program with wine, and update them like that...

Hope that helps

--
Andrew