Old 12-11-2009, 02:31 AM
Mani

Default How to install Thunderbird3

Hi,

I am new to Ubuntu(Just installed and trying to locate software). And
this is the first time I am working (with a serious intent) on Linux. I
am not able to find new releases of Netbeans and Thunderbird in the
UBuntu Software center or the Synaptic package manager. Does it take
some time for new versions of software or new software to appear in
these centers?

PS: I am already in love with the Ubuntu Desktop.

Cheers

--

Mani/Naren/Iyer*

The secret of walking on water is knowing where the stones are

Old 12-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Scott

On 09-12-10 10:31 PM, Mani wrote:
> I am new to Ubuntu(Just installed and trying to locate software). And
> this is the first time I am working (with a serious intent) on Linux. I
> am not able to find new releases of Netbeans and Thunderbird in the
> UBuntu Software center or the Synaptic package manager. Does it take
> some time for new versions of software or new software to appear in
> these centers?
Software is normally updated with each six month release. You can use
backports (unsupported updates), but they only support certain software
and is usually a little bit behind.

For Thunderbird check out
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ThunderbirdNewVersion. Take a look at
Manual instructions for installing the newest Thunderbird. It mentions
version 2, but works just as good for version 3 as it mentions. I just
did that myself today and it worked fine for me on Ubuntu 9.10.

For Netbeans. If you want the newest go to the netbeans site and
download the newest version. They have put together a very good
installer for Linux. That is what I did and I am happily using 6.8 RC2.

> PS: I am already in love with the Ubuntu Desktop.
Ubuntu is easy to fall in love with.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Ubuntu Version 9.10

Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Scott

On 09-12-10 11:50 PM, Manikantan wrote:
> That worked. Thanks for the help.
Your welcome. I am pleased I could be useful. FYI: Thunderbird 3
now haves a "reply list" button you can push for replying to list like
this one.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Mani wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to Ubuntu(Just installed and trying to locate software). And this is
> the first time I am working (with a serious intent) on Linux. I am not able to
> find new releases of Netbeans and Thunderbird in the UBuntu Software center or
> the Synaptic package manager. Does it take some time for new versions of
> software or new software to appear in these centers?
>
> PS: I am already in love with the Ubuntu Desktop.
>
> Cheers
> --
> *Mani/Naren/Iyer*
> /The secret of walking on water is knowing where the stones are/

Why do you want the new versions? My experience is that I
want a new version if it does something I want. With
Thunderbird there is nothing much new that I am aware of.

So load what you can get easy with apt-get and enjoy Ubuntu.
It works fine.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Cristopher Thomas

On 12/10/2009 10:31 PM, Mani wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to Ubuntu(Just installed and trying to locate software). And
> this is the first time I am working (with a serious intent) on Linux. I
> am not able to find new releases of Netbeans and Thunderbird in the
> UBuntu Software center or the Synaptic package manager.

You might check out Ubuntuzilla, which provides current releases of
Mozilla products. I have Thunderbird 3 installed thanks to Ubuntuzilla.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Jared Greenwald

If you don't mind getting updated firefox 3.5 builds as well, you could setup the mozilla nightly repo...

See this URL: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa

And check the technical details section for the signature you need to import and then you will need to setup some repo entries that look like this...

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mozilla-daily.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Steve

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:06:07 -0000, Jared Greenwald
<greenwaldjared@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you don't mind getting updated firefox 3.5 builds as well, you could
> setup the mozilla nightly repo...
>
> See this URL: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa

Beware these are daily builds, so you will be offered updates every day if
you have update manager set to check for updates on a daily basis.
--
Steve

Old 12-12-2009, 03:30 AM
NoOp

On 12/10/2009 08:10 PM, Scott wrote:
> On 09-12-10 10:31 PM, Mani wrote:
>> I am new to Ubuntu(Just installed and trying to locate software). And
>> this is the first time I am working (with a serious intent) on Linux. I
>> am not able to find new releases of Netbeans and Thunderbird in the
>> UBuntu Software center or the Synaptic package manager. Does it take
>> some time for new versions of software or new software to appear in
>> these centers?
> Software is normally updated with each six month release. You can use
> backports (unsupported updates), but they only support certain software
> and is usually a little bit behind.
>
> For Thunderbird check out
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ThunderbirdNewVersion. Take a look at
> Manual instructions for installing the newest Thunderbird. It mentions
> version 2, but works just as good for version 3 as it mentions. I just
> did that myself today and it worked fine for me on Ubuntu 9.10.

For others, that are not interested in ppa's (which are, afterall ppa's:
Personal Package Archives and are subject to go away at the ppa
maintainer's whim (Ubuntu OOo is a prime example)[1], or ubuntuzilla,
I'd simply recommend that you download the latest version from
mozilla.org, extract to a home folder, and run from there. No
root/superuser issues, no cluttering up system folders, and no issues in
obtaining updates when they become available from mozilla. No added
Ubuntu add-in's (like the Firefox Google issue).

Creating an Applications|Internet|Thunderbird3 (or SeaMonkey or Firefox)
launcher is considerably easier than going through all the
aforementioned suggestions.

I seldom use Thunderbird, except for testing (I use SeaMonkey), but
firing up Thunderbird3 from a home folder, checking the version:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091130
Lightning/1.0b1pre Thunderbird/3.0
and updating via the Help|Check for updates
pulls in the most recent update and now shows:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091204
Lightning/1.0b1pre Thunderbird/3.0

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

If anyone is wondering about the 'Lightning/1.0b1pre', it simply a
test/prerelease version of the Lightning Calendar from the nightlies
that works remarkably well in both Thunderbird and SeaMonkey.

Thunderbird et al are available here:
http://www.mozilla.org/
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

[1] Now who would have thought that a ppa by the primary maintainer of
Ubuntu's OpenOffice.org would have simply deleted his ppa archives?
https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa
<quote>
Empty for now, will likely have OOo 3.2.0/3.2.1 debs for Karmic/Lucid
later in the cycle.
If you want OOo 3.1.1 upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic).
Also has OOo 3.1.1 debs for Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) - unsupported.
</quote>
Also see:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/267376?comments=all>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/267376/comments/153>
Use PPA's at your own risk. They have very useful purposes; but like any
other unsupported repository, they also have their risks. Just be aware
of those risks.