Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 AM
"Daevid Vincent"

Default OT: OSX Airlock -- why can't someone make cool stuff like thisfor Linux?

Whoa! Awesome. I'll check that out. I wasn't aware of it.

http://blueproximity.sourceforge.net/

Although it doesn't seem to be very active as the last update was 2008-02-28, then again, it's not like it's that complex of a
program, maybe there just isn't anything more to add to it...

-D-

There are only 11 types of people in this world. Those that think binary jokes are funny, those that don't, and those that don't
know binary.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 AM
NoOp

On 12/10/2009 05:26 PM, Daevid Vincent wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From:
>> ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com
>> [mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Michael
>> Poole Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:56 PM To: Ubuntu user
>> technical support,not for general discussions Subject: Re: OT: OSX
>> Airlock -- why can't someone make cool stuff like thisfor Linux?
>>
>> Daevid Vincent writes:
>>
>>> See, now why can't someone write some cool and useful tech
>> like this for Linux/Ubuntu?
>>>
>>> http://themha.com/airlock
>>
>> This looks a lot like the "blueproximity" package that has been
>> available in Ubuntu since at least Hardy Heron. What features
>> does Airlock have that you want but blueproximity does not have?
>>
>> Michael Poole
>
> Whoa! Awesome. I'll check that out. I wasn't aware of it.
>
> http://blueproximity.sourceforge.net/
>
> Although it doesn't seem to be very active as the last update was
> 2008-02-28, then again, it's not like it's that complex of a program,
> maybe there just isn't anything more to add to it...

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/blueproximity
Similar packages:

* gramofile
* away
* ddrescue
* amora-server
* libclass-spiffy-perl
* gtimer
* bluemon
* devfsd
* worklog
* chiark-really
* hamster-applet

Maybe:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/bluemon might be an alternative but
looks less maintained.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bluemon

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/blueproximity/+bugs
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/blueproximity
https://launchpad.net/blueproximity

Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 PM
NoOp

On 12/10/2009 08:39 PM, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 17:44 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/blueproximity
>> Similar packages:
>>
>> * gramofile
>> * away
>> * ddrescue
>> * amora-server
>> * libclass-spiffy-perl
>> * gtimer
>> * bluemon
>> * devfsd
>> * worklog
>> * chiark-really
>> * hamster-applet
>
> um....what?
>
> The only program on that list that is even remotely similar to
> blueproximity is bluemon...

I realize that. That is why I added:
"Maybe:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/bluemon might be an alternative but
looks less maintained."
The "Similar packages:" list is provided for nearly all packages listed
at http://packages.ubuntu.com/ (lower right corner of a package
listing). I don't know how they get the list, perhaps it's word
related/generated. Anyway, the only one in that list that looked to be
related was bluemon & rather than have him try each one, I pointed to
bluemon.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:51 PM
"Daevid Vincent"

I fully disagree. The innovation would build upon itself and multiply from
each developer adding to the same projects rather than some "great feature
in this one" and "I wish it had that feature from that one".

Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Steve

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:51:44 -0000, Daevid Vincent <daevid@daevid.com>
>> > I wish all these talented developers would stop fragmenting and
>> > start unifying and making "killer apps" instead of hundreds of
>> > half-assed ones, and forks upon forks.
>>
>> That would stop any innovation.
>
> I fully disagree. The innovation would build upon itself and multiply
> from
> each developer adding to the same projects rather than some "great
> feature
> in this one" and "I wish it had that feature from that one".

Which most likely would cause bloat or the whole thing becomes bogged down
in arguments about the way forward, which features to include, etc.
The more variations the better, just pick the one that works for you.

--
Steve

Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Alan McKay

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Daevid Vincent <daevid@daevid.com> wrote:

> Although it doesn't seem to be very active as the last update was 2008-02-28, then again, it's not like it's that complex of a
> program, maybe there just isn't anything more to add to it...

Didn't Red Hat RPM once go for about 3 years with no updates simply
because it was so good at doing what it did that there was no need to
change it? I seem to recall someone telling me that though I cannot
say I've ever personally verified it.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 PM
"Rallias UberNerd"

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:51:44 -0600, Daevid Vincent <daevid@daevid.com>
>> > I wish all these talented developers would stop fragmenting and
>> > start unifying and making "killer apps" instead of hundreds of
>> > half-assed ones, and forks upon forks.
>>
>> That would stop any innovation.
>
> I fully disagree. The innovation would build upon itself and multiply
> from
> each developer adding to the same projects rather than some "great
> feature
> in this one" and "I wish it had that feature from that one".

But that would ruin one of linux's major montras "To each their own linux
distro.

--
Rallias Ubernerd
Clan: Phoenix of Rose Ash