Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
"David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk)"

Default whats up with the ubuntuforums? (screenshot added)

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
> arshad wrote:
>
>> hi all,
>> whats the problem with ubuntuforums.org?
>> it shows only me as the currently active users and i see for almost 7
>> hours no body has made a post?
>>

> It was down for a quite a few hours...definitely not 99.99% uptime :P

One way to kill Ubuntu -- destroy the forums. We need a backup!!!!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:08 PM

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
> Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>
>> arshad wrote:
>>

>>> hi all,
>>> whats the problem with ubuntuforums.org?
>>> it shows only me as the currently active users and i see for almost 7
>>> hours no body has made a post?
>>>

>> It was down for a quite a few hours...definitely not 99.99% uptime :P
>>

> One way to kill Ubuntu -- destroy the forums. We need a backup!!!!

Oh yeah, definitely not good for Ubuntu's image. These guys cannot even
keep something up 24/7 yada yada...

Old 12-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

>> One way to kill Ubuntu -- destroy the forums. We need a backup!!!!
> Oh yeah, definitely not good for Ubuntu's image. These guys cannot
> even keep something up 24/7 yada yada...

Are you kidding?

Old 12-10-2009, 01:46 PM
"Tence T. George"

Well the mailing list and IRC is okay with me as a backup.* I wonder if there's a google wave for ubuntu support though.

-Tence

Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>> One way to kill Ubuntu -- destroy the forums. We need a backup!!!!
>>>
>> Oh yeah, definitely not good for Ubuntu's image. These guys cannot
>> even keep something up 24/7 yada yada...
>>

> Are you kidding?

Half kidding. How would you feel if you were a business and you see the
official ubuntu forum going down for a business day? How would you feel
if you were a potential new user or someone trialing ubuntu for home and
you find the official ubuntu forum down? Especially when you find out
that the mailto: is also empty. Does it look professional to you any
more? Do you want to install a hobby operating system on your box if you
have no clue how computers work and just want something that works? What
do you think people might be thinking? Remember, we do not have the
advantage of being able to point to others as providers of support. You
cannot point to Dell, yada yada as sources of help with Ubuntu beyond
proprietary drivers. Microsoft can.

If you were a Windows user and this sort of thing happened to Apple and
they did not have shops all over the place and a support line, would you
get a Mac if your sources of support were a forum that went down and
mailing lists that you have never participated in?

Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Seth

I think there is, actually. I remember seeing one while I was searching the Waves.
Ogden Nash *- "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up, it's always a cat."

Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
arshad

im sicked by the negative attitude toward ubuntu forum by the members
here. as a matter of fact had ubuntu forum not existed i still be a
windows user.
honestly i don't know how to participate in IRC chat though i tried
several times.
im sure that the majority of the ubuntu users migrated from windows
learnt ubuntu from the forum.
and most of them even doesnt know that the mailing list and IRC chat
exists or how to subscribe.

plz don't bash the forum and spoil the spirit of the 'community' since
we all (i.e mailing list, irc and the forum) are bound by the same
purpose of helping each other.

thanks

Old 12-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 10.12.2009, 20:36 +0800 schrieb Chan Chung Hang
Christopher:
> arshad wrote:
> > hi all,
> > whats the problem with ubuntuforums.org?
> > it shows only me as the currently active users and i see for almost 7
> > hours no body has made a post?
> >

> It was down for a quite a few hours...definitely not 99.99% uptime :P

are you aware that 99.99% of 365 days actually are a few hours per
year ?

ciao
oli

Old 12-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Colin Law

2009/12/10 Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com>:
> hi,
> Am Donnerstag, den 10.12.2009, 20:36 +0800 schrieb Chan Chung Hang
> Christopher:
>> arshad wrote:
>> > hi all,
>> > whats the problem with ubuntuforums.org?
>> > it shows only me as the currently active users and i see for almost 7
>> > hours no body has made a post?
>> >

>> It was down for a quite a few hours...definitely not 99.99% uptime :P
>>
> are you aware that 99.99% of 365 days actually are a few hours per
> year ?

Yes it is quite a few hours, in fact 364 days 23 hours and 7 minutes
or thereabouts.
This is only a down time of 53 mins though.

Colin

Old 12-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Colin Law wrote:
> 2009/12/10 Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com>:
>
>> hi,
>> Am Donnerstag, den 10.12.2009, 20:36 +0800 schrieb Chan Chung Hang
>> Christopher:

>>> It was down for a quite a few hours...definitely not 99.99% uptime :P
>>>

>> are you aware that 99.99% of 365 days actually are a few hours per
>> year ?
>>

> Yes it is quite a few hours, in fact 364 days 23 hours and 7 minutes
> or thereabouts.
> This is only a down time of 53 mins though.

It was definitely not 53 minutes according to reports on irc. If
timestamps on irc are to be trusted, it was at least two hours between
two reports and the first report elicited a response saying that it had
been for an hour already. I would not bother pulling out the 99.99% if
there was no potential that the forum was down for at least three hours.