Old 12-10-2009, 11:44 AM
stan

Default Upgrading flshplugin

I have a number of machines that cannot connect directly to the outside
world. These machines are able to receive their updates using approx. This
all works well most of the time. This morning, though I ran into an issue.
flashplugin-non-free has an update. It appears that what gets downloaded
from the proxy is an installer, and that this installer needs to get the
actual binary from the outside.

In my case, this causes the apt-get upgrades to fail on all the machines
that cannot access directly the outside.

I would think that I could just manually copy this binary over from the
machine that can access the outside to the ones that cannot, right?
But what file do I need to copy, and where do I need to put it so that the
inside machines will recognize that they do not have to obtain it
themselves?

> I have a number of machines that cannot connect directly to the outside
> world. These machines are able to receive their updates using approx. This
> all works well most of the time. This morning, though I ran into an issue.
> flashplugin-non-free has an update. It appears that what gets downloaded
> from the proxy is an installer, and that this installer needs to get the
> actual binary from the outside.
>
> In my case, this causes the apt-get upgrades to fail on all the machines
> that cannot access directly the outside.
>
> I would think that I could just manually copy this binary over from the
> machine that can access the outside to the ones that cannot, right?
> But what file do I need to copy, and where do I need to put it so that the
> inside machines will recognize that they do not have to obtain it
> themselves?

In the machine with the outside access that has been updated: open a
terminal and:

$ locate libflashplayer.so

$ locate libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

On SeaMonkey I simply use 'aboutlugins' and it gives me the exact
location:
Shockwave Flash

File name: /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42

However I am not able to do the same on Firefox; Fx only gives me the
version.

Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42

Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Markus Schönhaber

10.12.2009 22:29, NoOp:

> On SeaMonkey I simply use 'aboutlugins' and it gives me the exact
> location:
> Shockwave Flash
>
> File name: /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
> Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42
>
> However I am not able to do the same on Firefox; Fx only gives me the
> version.
>
> Shockwave Flash
>
> File name: libflashplayer.so
> Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42

Try setting
plugin.expose_full_path
to true in Firefox to also make it show the full path of the plugin.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Markus Schönhaber

10.12.2009 22:38, Markus Schönhaber:

> 10.12.2009 22:29, NoOp:

>> Shockwave Flash
>>
>> File name: libflashplayer.so
>> Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42
>
> Try setting
> plugin.expose_full_path
> to true in Firefox to also make it show the full path of the plugin.

Oops, NoOp, I just noticed I gave you your own advice.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> > to true in Firefox to also make it show the full path
> of the plugin.
>
> Oops, NoOp, I just noticed I gave you your own advice.

Can we assume it was good advice, then?-))
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- On Thu, 12/10/09, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>
snipped

> In the machine with the outside access that has been
> updated: open a
> terminal and:
>
> $ locate libflashplayer.so
>
> $ locate libflashplayer.so
> /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
>
> On SeaMonkey I simply use 'aboutlugins' and it gives me
> the exact
> location:
> Shockwave Flash
>
> * * File name:
> /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
> * * Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42
>
> However I am not able to do the same on Firefox; Fx only
> gives me the
> version.
>
> Shockwave Flash
>
> * * File name: libflashplayer.so
> * * Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42

I don't have that folder on my Karmics. Did you create it? From our off-list discussions I had the impression that you use ~.mozilla/plugins to add you plugins on the SM pre2.02 alpa. Apparently, you don't use /opt/adobe/plugins for this. Contact me off-list if you want rather than sidetracking the OP's thread.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Markus Schönhaber

10.12.2009 22:59, Leonard Chatagnier:

> --- On Thu, 12/10/09, Markus Schönhaber <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:

>> Oops, NoOp, I just noticed I gave you your own advice.
>>
> Can we assume it was good advice, then?-))

Of course!

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 PM
NoOp

On 12/10/2009 01:38 PM, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 10.12.2009 22:29, NoOp:
>> However I am not able to do the same on Firefox; Fx only gives me the
>> version.
>>
>> Shockwave Flash
>>
>> File name: libflashplayer.so
>> Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42
>
> Try setting
> plugin.expose_full_path
> to true in Firefox to also make it show the full path of the plugin.

Works - thanks!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 PM
NoOp

On 12/10/2009 02:17 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> --- On Thu, 12/10/09, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> From: NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>
> snipped
>>>

>> In the machine with the outside access that has been updated: open
>> a terminal and:
>>
>> $ locate libflashplayer.so
>>
>> $ locate libflashplayer.so
>> /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
>>
>> On SeaMonkey I simply use 'aboutlugins' and it gives me the
>> exact location: Shockwave Flash
>>
>> File name: /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so Shockwave
>> Flash 10.0 r42
>>
> I don't have that folder on my Karmics. Did you create it? From our
> off-list discussions I had the impression that you use
> ~.mozilla/plugins to add you plugins on the SM pre2.02 alpa.
> Apparently, you don't use /opt/adobe/plugins for this. Contact me
> off-list if you want rather than sidetracking the OP's thread.

No, if you recall I am using 32bit & during out trials & tribulations I
decided to go ahead and forgo the ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/plugins and just
let SeaMonkey use the system plugins. So far it's been working just fine
all the way to this current test version I am testing & using:
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7pre)
Gecko/20091209 Lightning/1.0b1pre SeaMonkey/2.0.2pre

Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> >> In the machine with the outside access that has
> been updated: open
> >> a terminal and:
> >>
> >> $ locate libflashplayer.so
> >>
> >> $ locate libflashplayer.so
> >> /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
> >>
> >> On SeaMonkey I simply use 'aboutlugins' and it
> gives me the
> >> exact location: Shockwave Flash
> >>
> >> File name:
> /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so Shockwave
> >> Flash 10.0 r42
> >>
> > I don't have that folder on my Karmics.* Did you
> create it? From our
> > off-list discussions I had the impression that you
> use
> > ~.mozilla/plugins to add you plugins on the SM pre2.02
> alpa.
> > Apparently, you don't use /opt/adobe/plugins for
> this.* Contact me
> > off-list if you want rather than sidetracking the OP's
> thread.
>
> No, if you recall I am using 32bit & during out trials
> & tribulations I
> decided to go ahead and forgo the
> ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/plugins and just
> let SeaMonkey use the system plugins. So far it's been
> working just fine
> all the way to this current test version I am testing &
> using:
> Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US;
> rv:1.9.1.7pre)
> Gecko/20091209 Lightning/1.0b1pre SeaMonkey/2.0.2pre

That's all well and good and I'm using the same SM but for 64 bit as you know. But what I wanted was some insite on the /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/ folder which I don't have natively. I suppose you created it but how does one know that it will work. I suppose I could create an /usr/lib/seamonkey folder arbitrarily with a plugins subfolder and all the plugins installed there and it would work? I know mozilla is the catch all for browser plugins mostly and wondered why not have a seamonkey directory since there is 2 for firefox and one for iceweasel,iceape or whatever. Basically how do you know it will work? Guess you have all the other plugins in /usr.lib/mozilla/plugins?

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net