Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 AM
Jeremy Sellors

Default GNU GRUB 1.97~beta4 error: invalid signature, press any key to continue

I have a dual boot Windows 7 on the first partition and Ubuntu 9.10
server on the other. Everything was working fine until some upgrade
today—now I get a Grub error: invalid signature. the selected item
GRUB list now flashes. The first menu item is Ubuntu Linux 2.6.31-16
Server.
How do you repair GRUB?

Old 12-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Jeremy Sellors

On 10-Dec-09, at 12:54 PM, NoOp wrote:On 12/09/2009 08:50 PM, Jeremy Sellors wrote: I have a dual boot Windows 7 on the first partition and Ubuntu 9.10 *server on the other. Everything was working fine until some upgrade *today—now I get a Grub error: invalid signature. the selected item *GRUB list now flashes. The first menu item is Ubuntu Linux 2.6.31-16 *Server.How do you repair GRUB?*
Google:<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q=Ubuntu+%2B"Gru b+error%3A+invalid+signature"&btnG=Google+Search>
Possible:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1264151[Grub "Invalid Signature" error when booting windows]Note: there are three pages there - check all three.
I've found that when having problems with grub2, using the Supergrub sgdallows me to at least boot & then from there I can modify grub ifnecessary. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10921sgd_cdrom_1.21.iso.gzs gd_floppy_1.21.img.gz
Note: I've not been able to use the grub-rescue-cdrom.iso on grub2 -works fine for grub/grub1.
Ubuntu info:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

--*ubuntu-users mailing listubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.comModify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users Thanks for the help.I followed a previous post on this list; "Grub beta issue with Kernal update/upgrade" by Goh Lip.I sustituded the -generic with -server but made a typo and it did not work. so then I typed 'e' at the grub list which then shows an editable frame with the results of the commands showing so I edited the mistake I had made and I was able to boot Ubuntu Server. Then I ran the:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg*
and I was able to boot into Windows 7.
Checking the emac grub window again I was able to see the results of the grub-mkconfg
Jeremy

Old 12-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Goh Lip

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/10/2009 05:21 PM, Jeremy Sellors wrote:
>> Thanks for the help.
>> I followed a previous post on this list; "Grub beta issue with Kernal
>> update/upgrade" by Goh Lip.
>> I sustituded the -generic with -server but made a typo and it did not
>> work. so then I typed 'e' at the grub list which then shows an
>> editable frame with the results of the commands showing so I edited
>> the mistake I had made and I was able to boot Ubuntu Server. Then I
>> ran the:
>>
>> sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>> and I was able to boot into Windows 7.
>>
>> Checking the emac grub window again I was able to see the results of
>> the grub-mkconfg
>
> Cool! Thanks for updating w/the resolution (and thanks Gho Lip :-).
> For the archives, Gho's instructions are here:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-December/203949.html
> [Grub beta issue with Kernal update/upgrade]

Great to hear you've got it solved, Jeremy. I was wondering what could
have gone wrong with your problem, but with nothing I can contribute
except probably a "grub-install" again, I did want to add further that
cannot contribute. But it's good to know it's just a typo and not
something that's really wrong.

Thanks for your comments Noob, appreciate it.

Regards,
Goh Lip