Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 AM
kate

Default Backup Complete Hard Drive

I have now used the backup and restore commands in Terminal with out any
problems when it comes to files and directories, but the situation is
that I can not back up the whole hard drive to a external hard drive
complete.

For Example to test the system I have placed jpegs onto desktop and
executed a complete dump after I have used the restore command to place
back all the data, that has worked but the desktop dose not show or
replace the files that I have deleted as a test.

What I mean is do a complete system back up onto a external hard drive,
erase or format the original and place back all directories and files as
it was originally.

Thanks Kate

Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:28:05PM +0800, kate wrote:

...........snip............

> What I mean is do a complete system back up onto a external hard drive,
> erase or format the original and place back all directories and files as
> it was originally.

Clonezilla or mondorescue.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Jozsef

Jozsef wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:28:05PM +0800, kate wrote:
>>
>> ...........snip............
>>

>>> What I mean is do a complete system back up onto a external hard drive,
>>> erase or format the original and place back all directories and files as
>>> it was originally.
>>
>> Clonezilla or mondorescue.

I use to use Clonezilla for back up but I never really tried to restore.
Actually once I tried to restore it on my external HDD and got a lot of
error messages and the restoring didn't go so well at all. Will try to
see that mondorescue.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Fred Roller

kate wrote:
> I have now used the backup and restore commands in Terminal with out any
> problems when it comes to files and directories, but the situation is
> that I can not back up the whole hard drive to a external hard drive
> complete.
>
> For Example to test the system I have placed jpegs onto desktop and
> executed a complete dump after I have used the restore command to place
> back all the data, that has worked but the desktop dose not show or
> replace the files that I have deleted as a test.
>
> What I mean is do a complete system back up onto a external hard drive,
> erase or format the original and place back all directories and files as
> it was originally.
>

> Thanks Kate

Sounds like you would be better served with DD:

Backup:

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/media/[external drive]/backup.img bs=512

Restore: (which requires no formatting and may be defeating the purpose):

dd if=/media/[external device]/backup.img of=/dev/sda1 bs=512

you need to be able to umount the /dev/sda1 device or boot from a live
cd to complete. If on the other hand you just need the data files then
tar would serve:

Backup:

tar -cvf /media/[external device]/backup.tar /path/to/directory

example:
froller@metis:~$ tar -cvf /Crypt/backups/test.tar test
test/
test/test1
test/test2

Restoration:

tar -xvf /media/[external device]/backup.tar -C /path/to/directory

example:
froller@metis:~$ tar -xvf /Crypt/backups/test.tar -C /home/froller/
test/
test/test1
test/test2

in the restore example the -C /home/froller/ is not needed because I am
already in the working directory, just used it to show it could be used
if you were /not/ in the working directory. Hope this helps. In double
checking my work I did come across this:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/gazette/backup.html

which may be of some interest. Good luck.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 12-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Rei Shinozuka

for bootable partitions, i like booting up into sysrescuecd
(http://www.sysresccd.org) , mounting an external usb drive and then
using partimage to back up the image of the original partition to the
external drive. i have replaced boot disks using this method. i also
used mondo, and that works also, though when i used it (3-4 years ago)
it took a little configuring to get just right.

-rei

Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 02:29:33PM +0400, Jozsef wrote:
> Jozsef wrote:
> > Robert Holtzman wrote:
> >> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:28:05PM +0800, kate wrote:
> >>
> >> ...........snip............

> >> Clonezilla or mondorescue.
> >>

> I use to use Clonezilla for back up but I never really tried to restore.
> Actually once I tried to restore it on my external HDD and got a lot of
> error messages and the restoring didn't go so well at all. Will try to
> see that mondorescue.

I never could get Clonezilla to work well. I only included it because
some people love it. Mondrescue worked well for me under debian lenny
but not so well with u8.04. Haven't tried it yet with u9.10.

Please post your results along with your system (and version).

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 12-10-2009, 05:55 PM
scar

Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Frank

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 12:28 +0800, kate wrote:

> What I mean is do a complete system back up onto a external hard drive,
> erase or format the original and place back all directories and files as
> it was originally.

My backup solution consists of two separate backups: one for the system
(everything except home folder) and a second of home folder only.

For mirroring the Home folder:

sudo rsync -av --delete
--exclude=.gvfs /home/<my_User_Name>/ /media/<destination
disk>/home/<my_User_Name>

For mirroring the file system, except Home folder:

sudo rsync -va --partial --delete --exclude=/media --exclude=/lost+found
--exclude=/dev --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys
--exclude=/tmp --exclude=/home/* / /media/<destination disk>/

I run the Home folder backup script almost every day (yes, sounds
paranoiac, but I really do not want to loose any file in case of a hard
disk crash or whatever).
I do a system backup few days after major changes on my configuration or
big updates, just to be sure that everything work correctly.

For a complete restore, run Ubuntu from a Live-CD and:

- sudo rsync -av /media/<source> /media/<destination>

create the previously excluded directories (mkdir) sys, dev, proc,
tmp...

- sudo chamod a+w /tmp

- update /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst with the correct UUID

Old 12-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Tom H

> I have now used the backup and restore commands in Terminal with out any
> problems when it comes to files and directories, but the situation is
> that I can not back up the whole hard drive to a external hard drive
> complete.

> For Example to test the system I have placed jpegs onto desktop and
> executed a complete dump after I have used the restore command to place
> back all the data, that has worked but the desktop dose not show or
> replace the files that I have deleted as a test.

> What I mean is do a complete system back up onto a external hard drive,
> erase or format the original and place back all directories and files as
> it was originally.

In order to back up a drive with the dump command that you posted
yesterday and to restore the drive with the command that I posted
back, the disk that you are dumping from or restoring to must not be
mounted.