Old 12-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Jatin Davey

Default Removing Old Kernels

Hi all

I installed ubuntu 4 weeks ago. When i had installed i was having kernel
2.6.31-14 , then after receiving updates currently i am having
2.6.31-16. Still i have the old kernels available in my system. I want
to remove the old kernels and run only the latest one. If ubuntu has 2-3
kernels just in case any of them fails then i am fine. Please also let
me know if i am missing something. I just dont want the kernels to pile
up after every update and increase my disk usage.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 12-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I installed ubuntu 4 weeks ago. When i had installed i was
> having kernel
> 2.6.31-14 , then after receiving updates currently i am
> having
> 2.6.31-16. Still i have the old kernels available in my
> system. I want
> to remove the old kernels and run only the latest one. If
> ubuntu has 2-3
> kernels just in case any of them fails then i am fine.
> Please also let
> me know if i am missing something. I just dont want the
> kernels to pile
> up after every update and increase my disk usage.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

It's a good idea to keep one or two kernels besides the one you normally use just in case it becomes unbootable then you can fall back to the extra ones in the grub boot list. It does no harm to keep all the kernel installed since you installed the OS. In my karmic case, I have all still installed since the original beta installation.
If you must rm some of them then first do:
aptitude search linux-image then highlight the one(s) you want to remove so you can paste it in the following command:

sudo aptitude purge <paste the name(s) you want to remove>
Do purge instead of remove so the modules/headers will be removed for that kernel image also.

Or you can use synaptic package manager, search for the linux-images, then select all the ones you want to remove, click on that image(s) and select completely remove and then click on apply in the top panel. I believe that's correct but didn't look and it should be apparent.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Jatin Davey

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> [...]
Leonard and all,

As mentioned i used the aptitude command to list the kernels. I have
three of them. As suggessted i will keep the three kernels. In case if
there are further updates then i will delete the first installed kernel
based on the steps mentioned above.

Have one question though. Does the update manager clean up old kernels
by itself ? Or do we need to clean the old ones by ourselves ?
What is the default behaviour ? I manually update my Ubuntu system once
in a week.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> >> I installed ubuntu 4 weeks ago. When i had
> installed i was
> >> having kernel
> >> 2.6.31-14 , then after receiving updates currently
> i am
> >> having
> >> 2.6.31-16. Still i have the old kernels available
> in my
> >> system. I want
> >> to remove the old kernels and run only the latest
> one. If
> >> ubuntu has 2-3
> >> kernels just in case any of them fails then i am
> fine.
> >> Please also let
> >> me know if i am missing something. I just dont
> want the
> >> kernels to pile
> >> up after every update and increase my disk usage.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Jatin
> >>

> >>* ***
> > It's a good idea to keep one or two kernels besides
> the one you normally use just in case it becomes unbootable
> then you can fall back to the extra ones in the grub boot
> list.* It does no harm to keep all the kernel installed
> since you installed the OS.* In my karmic case, I have
> all still installed since the original beta installation.
> > If you must rm some of them then first do:
> > aptitude search linux-image* then highlight the
> one(s) you want to remove so you can paste it in the
> following command:
> >
> > sudo aptitude purge <paste the name(s) you want to
> remove>
> > Do purge instead of remove so the modules/headers will
> be removed for that kernel image also.
> >
> > Or you can use synaptic package manager, search for
> the linux-images, then select all the ones you want to
> remove, click on that image(s) and select completely remove
> and then click on apply in the top panel.* I believe
> that's correct but didn't look and it should be apparent.
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >*
> >
> >***
> Leonard and all,
>
> As mentioned i used the aptitude command to list the
> kernels. I have
> three of them. As suggessted i will keep the three kernels.
> In case if
> there are further updates then i will delete the first
> installed kernel
> based on the steps mentioned above.
>
> Have one question though. Does the update manager clean up
> old kernels
> by itself ? Or do we need to clean the old ones by
> ourselves ?
> What is the default behaviour ? I manually update my Ubuntu
> system once
> in a week.

I'm not an fan of UM so don't know about it but I think it's safe to say that all package managers will leave what is installed until you remove/purge the package including linux-images. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong to be sure.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Emil Payne

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> I'm not an fan of UM so don't know about it but I think it's safe to say that all package managers will leave what is installed until you remove/purge the package including linux-images. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong to be sure.
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

What would be nice is a grub entry for the number of kernels to keep.
So if you said "3" and had only two, it would leave those and add a
third, but if you had three then it would delete the oldest and add the
new one.

Emil

Old 12-11-2009, 04:47 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> > I'm not an fan of UM so don't know about it but I
> think it's safe to say that all package managers will leave
> what is installed until you remove/purge the package
> including linux-images.* Someone will correct me if I'm
> wrong to be sure.
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> What would be nice is a grub entry for the number of
> kernels to keep.
> So if you said "3" and had only two, it would leave those
> and add a
> third, but if you had three then it would delete the oldest
> and add the
> new one.

Ok, then go to launchpad and file a wish list bug report and maybe the developers will program it that way but I doubt it.
The way it works is that grub will retain in the menu.lst or grub.conf file(hope I got that right) every kernel you have installed until you remove/purge a kernel and then run update-grub as sudo or root. Besides, there is no harm if you retain all the kernels released in a Ubuntu version at least if you partition is from 20-30 GB in size and they are good safety factors in case some kernel fails. What's so hard/unreasonable to learn how to do it the Ubuntu/Linux way. I believe most if not all Linux distro use grub and will have to be handled the same way. Somewhere in the past I think I ran across something that limited the number of kernels you could install(back in the grub1 days) and it would have worked as you suggest I think. Unless you are totally out of disk space it is not an issue. Just ignore it.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Jatin Davey

Emil Payne wrote:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
>> I'm not an fan of UM so don't know about it but I think it's safe to say that all package managers will leave what is installed until you remove/purge the package including linux-images. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong to be sure.
>> Leonard Chatagnier
>> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
>>

> What would be nice is a grub entry for the number of kernels to keep.
> So if you said "3" and had only two, it would leave those and add a
> third, but if you had three then it would delete the oldest and add the
> new one.
>
> Emil

There was a feature in ubuntu some time in the earlier releases where in
there used to be only a specific copies of kernels maintained. The older
one's would get deleted once the updates were applied. Not sure if its
there in the current versions of ubuntu 9.10

Thanks
Jatin

Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Tom H

> There was a feature in ubuntu some time in the earlier releases where in
> there used to be only a specific copies of kernels maintained. The older
> one's would get deleted once the updates were applied. Not sure if its
> there in the current versions of ubuntu 9.10

You can add a "howmany=X" line to menu.lst to limit the number of
kernels that grub1's update-grub adds to menu.lst.

Based on
http://www.mail-archive.com/grub-devel@gnu.org/msg13049.html
it is unlikely to be added by the grub developers. It seems to have
been a Debian/Ubuntu customization. I do not have a grub1 install to
look at its update-grub script but I remember it to consist of more
than the grub2 update-grub script, which is a one-line grub-mkconfig
invocation.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:30 AM
Bret Busby

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Tom H wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:09:14 +0100
> From: Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Removing Old Kernels
>
>> There was a feature in ubuntu some time in the earlier releases where in
>> there used to be only a specific copies of kernels maintained. The older
>> one's would get deleted once the updates were applied. Not sure if its
>> there in the current versions of ubuntu 9.10
>
> You can add a "howmany=X" line to menu.lst to limit the number of
> kernels that grub1's update-grub adds to menu.lst.
>
> Based on
> http://www.mail-archive.com/grub-devel@gnu.org/msg13049.html
> it is unlikely to be added by the grub developers. It seems to have
> been a Debian/Ubuntu customization. I do not have a grub1 install to
> look at its update-grub script but I remember it to consist of more
> than the grub2 update-grub script, which is a one-line grub-mkconfig
> invocation.

Please advse of the path for menu.lst .

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..

Old 12-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Bret Busby wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Tom H wrote:
>

>> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:09:14 +0100
>> From: Tom H<tomh0665@gmail.com>
>> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Subject: Re: Removing Old Kernels
>>

>>> There was a feature in ubuntu some time in the earlier releases where in
>>> there used to be only a specific copies of kernels maintained. The older
>>> one's would get deleted once the updates were applied. Not sure if its
>>> there in the current versions of ubuntu 9.10
>>>
>> You can add a "howmany=X" line to menu.lst to limit the number of
>> kernels that grub1's update-grub adds to menu.lst.
>>
>> Based on
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/grub-devel@gnu.org/msg13049.html
>> it is unlikely to be added by the grub developers. It seems to have
>> been a Debian/Ubuntu customization. I do not have a grub1 install to
>> look at its update-grub script but I remember it to consist of more
>> than the grub2 update-grub script, which is a one-line grub-mkconfig
>> invocation.
>>

> Please advse of the path for menu.lst .
>
> Thank you in anticipation.

Unless I misunderstand you request, menu.lst is in folder /boot/grub when using

grub1. For grub2, menu.lst is replaced by grub.cfg in the same folder.