Old 12-10-2009, 02:02 AM
arshad

Default what are the contents in ubuntu DVD?

hi all,
may i know what are the contents in the ubuntu dvd edition in ubuntu
official site?
it just talks about the additional language packs. but the dvd size is
4.2GB.

thank you all.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:26 AM
NoOp

On 12/09/2009 07:02 PM, arshad wrote:
> hi all,
> may i know what are the contents in the ubuntu dvd edition in ubuntu
> official site?
> it just talks about the additional language packs. but the dvd size is
> 4.2GB.
>
> thank you all.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/9.10/release/
look the the .list file. For example:
<http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/9.10/release/ubuntu-9.10-dvd-i386.list>

You can do the same for the CD's:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/

Old 12-10-2009, 07:10 AM
arshad

that list is not understandable.
im looking for something like whether the restricted extras and
additional applications like netbeasn and eclipse are included there?
or atleast whether any mention about that the main and restricted repos
are included?

thank you.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Andrew Farris

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 13:40 +0530, arshad wrote:
> that list is not understandable.

The list is usable as far as searching, since it contains a full list of
every package available on the DVD... just use your browser's search
tool to search for packages that you want to know if they are there or
not. Hopefully that information will be useful to you one day

> im looking for something like whether the restricted extras and
> additional applications like netbeasn and eclipse are included there?
> or atleast whether any mention about that the main and restricted repos
> are included?

AFAICT, included on the Ubuntu DVD is the entire 'main'
repository...i.e. anything officially supported by ubuntu (most things
with the ubuntu logo next to it in synaptic). this includes language
packs, and a bunch of software.

Ubuntu will never ship with the restricted extras by default, or any
restricted repositories enabled. This is because of licensing
restrictions that makes redistributing certain software packages by 3rd
parties illegal in some countries. The only exception to this is
graphics card drivers and wireless drivers, because without them, many
people's systems would be crippled.

If you're asking this for the purposes of a large deployment, or
something. you could always use a program, such as apt-on-CD, and
download the packages you want to use, then make an apt-CD to use on
each computer yourself, or download/install everything you want onto a
single computer, download the 'ubuntu customization kit' and roll your
own ISO to use...but this is all based off my own wild assumptions about
what your intent is, because you did not specify in your original email.

Also, netbeans and eclipse are located in the 'universe' repository, and
so would not be included on the DVD either.

--
Andrew

Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 PM
NoOp

On 12/10/2009 12:10 AM, arshad wrote:
> that list is not understandable.

Of course it is. It lists _exactly_ what you asked: "may i know what are
the contents in the ubuntu dvd edition in ubuntu official site?".

> im looking for something like whether the restricted extras and
> additional applications like netbeasn and eclipse are included there?
> or atleast whether any mention about that the main and restricted repos
> are included?

Then that is what you should have asked & the answer would have been no.
Of course you could have used your web browser to search the list for
netbeans etc.

Others have answered regarding the main & restricted repos. If you wish
to find if those applications are in any repositories, then I suggest:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/
Use the "Search package directories" for specific packages.
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=eclipse&searchon=names&suite=karmi c&section=all>
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=karmic&section=all&arch=any&searchon= names&keywords=netbeans>