Old 12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Tom H

Default Backup and Restore

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:46 PM, kate <katie2009@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Using a command in terminal
>
> sudo dump -0uf /dev/sdb1 /
>
> This backs up the system to a external hard drive, how do I retrieve the
> information.
>
> The instructions say
>
> cd/xxx
>
> sudo restore -if /dev/sdb1
>
> after using this command nothing happens.
>
> cd/xxx is were the back up is, what instruction do I tell the terminal
> to display the contents of sdb1 external hard drive.

In your restore command "i" stands for interactive. Is this what you
really want? Are you trying to select certain files and directories to
restore?

If that is the case, I have no idea (and am sorry for the noise)
because I have never used that flag, but if you wast to restore your
entire dump (assuming that the disk that you want to restore to is
sda1 and the disk that you are restoring from is sdb1):

mkfs.ext2 -j /dev/sda1
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt
cd /mnt
restore -rf /dev/sdb1

Old 12-10-2009, 03:11 AM
kate

Thanks Tom

Kate

Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Tom H

>>> Using a command in terminal

>>> sudo dump -0uf /dev/sdb1 /

>>> This backs up the system to a external hard drive, how do I retrieve the
>>> information.

>>> The instructions say

>>> cd/xxx
>>> sudo restore -if /dev/sdb1

>>> after using this command nothing happens.

>>> cd/xxx is were the back up is, what instruction do I tell the terminal
>>> to display the contents of sdb1 external hard drive.

>> In your restore command "i" stands for interactive. Is this what you
>> really want? Are you trying to select certain files and directories to
>> restore?

>> If that is the case, I have no idea (and am sorry for the noise)
>> because I have never used that flag, but if you wast to restore your
>> entire dump (assuming that the disk that you want to restore to is
>> sda1 and the disk that you are restoring from is sdb1):
>> mkfs.ext2 -j /dev/sda1
>> mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt
>> cd /mnt
>> restore -rf /dev/sdb1

> Thanks Tom

You're welcome.

I should have added yesterday that I _assume_ that if you want to use
"i" you are cd'ing to the wrong directory, the backup directory
whereas, if you follow the logic for a full restore, you should be
cd'ing to the restore directory.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 AM
kate

Home user backup and restore dose not backup the whole hard drive or
files, for example I have 3 gig of files when using the programs
described they only backup 200 mb of data.

There is a program called ghost 12 for windows xp which backs up all
files and directories, data to a external hard drive or any other
recordable media that is on the market.

With Ubuntu I have tried the two programs that work in terminal and the
graphic home user backup and restore, also simple backup config and all
these programs only back up part of the hard drive not the entire
operating system.

With ghost 12 it backs up the whole system and returns it to new, ghost
12 is a bit messy to use but dose the trick.

With Ubuntu is there a program that will back up the whole operating
system and restore it the present condition as it was when backed up.

All the back up programs in Ubuntu only save a small proportion of the
data, I have tried setting the programs to save all the directories,
tried every setting possible and only can save a small parts of the
program.

Also with the dump command it treats the hard drive as a tape storage
device in the sense that it only stores data on the hard drive and
erases the rest plus other problems as well.

Thanks Katie

Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Fred Roller

kate wrote:
> Home user backup and restore dose not backup the whole hard drive or
> files, for example I have 3 gig of files when using the programs
> described they only backup 200 mb of data.
>
> There is a program called ghost 12 for windows xp which backs up all
> files and directories, data to a external hard drive or any other
> recordable media that is on the market.
>
> With Ubuntu I have tried the two programs that work in terminal and the
> graphic home user backup and restore, also simple backup config and all
> these programs only back up part of the hard drive not the entire
> operating system.
>
> With ghost 12 it backs up the whole system and returns it to new, ghost
> 12 is a bit messy to use but dose the trick.
>
> With Ubuntu is there a program that will back up the whole operating
> system and restore it the present condition as it was when backed up.
>
> All the back up programs in Ubuntu only save a small proportion of the
> data, I have tried setting the programs to save all the directories,
> tried every setting possible and only can save a small parts of the
> program.
>
> Also with the dump command it treats the hard drive as a tape storage
> device in the sense that it only stores data on the hard drive and
> erases the rest plus other problems as well.
>

> Thanks Katie

You have a thread started on this already and several good responses and
suggestions. Please respond in that thread and not hijack this one. If
you are having trouble with the suggestions provided in your original
thread then send the details, in the original thread, so that we can
best help you.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."