Old 12-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Chris G

Default Forms design for web pages - what's available?

I'm looking for a tool a bit like the Forms Design part of Open Office
(or MS Access for that matter) that will build web data input forms. I
don't want a full-blown CMS or site design package, I just want to be
able to build some simple data entry pages to load data into a
database from the web (well, actually my intranet).

Is there anything out there which can do this?

--
Chris Green

Old 12-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Andrew Farris

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 17:41 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> I'm looking for a tool a bit like the Forms Design part of Open Office
> (or MS Access for that matter) that will build web data input forms. I
> don't want a full-blown CMS or site design package, I just want to be
> able to build some simple data entry pages to load data into a
> database from the web (well, actually my intranet).
>
> Is there anything out there which can do this?

Give PHPformgen a try... http://phpformgen.sourceforge.net/

It sounds like it would fit the bill just fine. I prefer the older
version to the newer one they're coming out with right now because it's
easier to customize... check out the contacts page on my website to see
some of the possibilities: http://viaticus-rpg.co.cc/contact.html

Hope that helps!

--
Andrew

Old 12-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Chris G

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 11:53:07PM -0600, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 17:41 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > I'm looking for a tool a bit like the Forms Design part of Open Office
> > (or MS Access for that matter) that will build web data input forms. I
> > don't want a full-blown CMS or site design package, I just want to be
> > able to build some simple data entry pages to load data into a
> > database from the web (well, actually my intranet).
> >
> > Is there anything out there which can do this?
>
> Give PHPformgen a try... http://phpformgen.sourceforge.net/
>
> It sounds like it would fit the bill just fine. I prefer the older
> version to the newer one they're coming out with right now because it's
> easier to customize... check out the contacts page on my website to see
> some of the possibilities: http://viaticus-rpg.co.cc/contact.html

I've had a play with it, I suppose it's OK but it's not very flexible
in some ways is it. Lots of ways to change the 'look and feel' (i.e.
colours etc.) but no way to actually rearrange the fields on the form
or to allow connecting it to a database. .... or is that what it
means by the database "Delivery method"? It sounds as if it just
writes the PHP code to a database field though.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Andrew Farris

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 09:07 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 11:53:07PM -0600, Andrew Farris wrote:
[snip]
> > Give PHPformgen a try... http://phpformgen.sourceforge.net/
[snip]
> I've had a play with it, I suppose it's OK but it's not very flexible
> in some ways is it. Lots of ways to change the 'look and feel' (i.e.
> colours etc.) but no way to actually rearrange the fields on the form
> or to allow connecting it to a database. .... or is that what it
> means by the database "Delivery method"? It sounds as if it just
> writes the PHP code to a database field though.

For rearranging the fields on the form, I just edit the html page it
spits out and cut-paste them manually to where I want, if they need to
be arranged, though I admit I've rarely had to do this, as I'm perfectly
happy with how it currently works...just re-theme them to match my
website better.

As for delivering the form data to a database, yes, thats what the
database delivery method is for... I'm fairly certian it just dumps the
form data into a pre-defined SQL table, not raw php data... I've only
ever used the email method myself because I've got no idea how to do SQL
stuff yet, and I haven't had time to learn.

I also haven't really looked around for much else by way of a form
generator, because phpformgen did the 1 biggest thing for me I needed it
to: arranged it so I could email the form contents to myself...and for
my simple purposes, it's enough.

--
Andrew

Old 12-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Colin Law

2009/12/9 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:
> I'm looking for a tool a bit like the Forms Design part of Open Office
> (or MS Access for that matter) that will build web data input forms. I
> don't want a full-blown CMS or site design package, I just want to be
> able to build some simple data entry pages to load data into a
> database from the web (well, actually my intranet).
>
> Is there anything out there which can do this?

Have you looked at Ruby on Rails? It might look like overkill for
what you want (and probably is), but with the scaffold generators it
will build the web forms for you and though you think that is all that
you want perhaps in the future you will want more capability, in that
case RoR will help you do pretty much anything and turn your forms
into a full blown web application.

On top of that it is great fun.

Colin

Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 05:41:16PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> I'm looking for a tool a bit like the Forms Design part of Open Office
> (or MS Access for that matter) that will build web data input forms. I
> don't want a full-blown CMS or site design package, I just want to be
> able to build some simple data entry pages to load data into a
> database from the web (well, actually my intranet).

Are you familiar at all with form components? Its a bit old school but I have
a shell script that generates valid xhtml forms with a very modest
configuration. Its pretty much one stop shopping for a simple form, but might
require tinkering with output of more complex stuff.

The configuration is text based like:

fields="
*Project Name:text:test
*Phone Numberhone
*Email:email
Zipcode:zip
Submit:submit
"

which spits out:

<form id="thisform" action="" method="post">
<fieldset>
<input size="24" type="text" class="thisform required" name="Project Name" id="ProjectName" value="test" />

<input type="text" size="3" maxlength="3" class="thisform required phone phone3" name="Phone Number[]" id="PhoneNumber1" /> -
<input type="text" size="3" maxlength="3" class="thisform required phone phone3" name="Phone Number[]" id="PhoneNumber2" /> -
<input type="text" size="4" maxlength="4" class="thisform required phone phone4" name="Phone Number[]" id="PhoneNumber3" />

<input type="text" size="18" maxlength="18" class="thisform required email" name="Email" id="Email" />

<input size="5" type="text" class="thisform zip" name="Zipcode" id="Zipcode" />

<input type="submit" class="thisform button" name="Submit" id="Submit" value="Submit" />
</fieldset>
</form>

--
Hal