Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Graham Todd

Default How Do I Backup A DVd To A Different Region?

I have a DVD in Region 1 format and I want to backup the copy I've got
to Region 2, or better still Region 0. The DVD holds important
information which I'd like to use (with clips, possibly) in a research
project.

I've got libdvdcss2 installed, and this gives me playback in Region 2
format *on my desktop* but I'd like to record it to DVD (with
compression if need be to fit). However, all my efforts so far have
resulted in ripping to Region 1 only, but the DVD players in the house
and at college are set to Region 2 (I live in the UK).

Could anyone refer me to a link or advise me how this is to be done?
There must be a way.....

[NOTE: needless to say, I own the DVD but none of the DVD players - and
all efforts to reset the regions by code input have failed - we simply
can't find a reset code for our family DVD player...]

--
Graham Todd

Old 12-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Werner Schram

Graham Todd wrote:
> I have a DVD in Region 1 format and I want to backup the copy I've got
> to Region 2, or better still Region 0. The DVD holds important
> information which I'd like to use (with clips, possibly) in a research
> project.
>
> I've got libdvdcss2 installed, and this gives me playback in Region 2
> format *on my desktop* but I'd like to record it to DVD (with
> compression if need be to fit). However, all my efforts so far have
> resulted in ripping to Region 1 only, but the DVD players in the house
> and at college are set to Region 2 (I live in the UK).
>
> Could anyone refer me to a link or advise me how this is to be done?
> There must be a way.....
>
> [NOTE: needless to say, I own the DVD but none of the DVD players - and
> all efforts to reset the regions by code input have failed - we simply
> can't find a reset code for our family DVD player...]

Hi Graham,

I think you should contact the producer of the DVD. Ask why it is region
1 encoded, and ask for a replacement. I don't see why anyone would
restrict research material to one region, so it is likely a mistake. If
you want to go through with reencoding your disc, you might find more
information on the doom9.org site.

Werner

Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

Werner Schram wrote:
> Graham Todd wrote:
>
>> I have a DVD in Region 1 format and I want to backup the copy I've got
>> to Region 2, or better still Region 0. The DVD holds important
>> information which I'd like to use (with clips, possibly) in a research
>> project.
>>
>> I've got libdvdcss2 installed, and this gives me playback in Region 2
>> format *on my desktop* but I'd like to record it to DVD (with
>> compression if need be to fit). However, all my efforts so far have
>> resulted in ripping to Region 1 only, but the DVD players in the house
>> and at college are set to Region 2 (I live in the UK).
>>
>> Could anyone refer me to a link or advise me how this is to be done?
>> There must be a way.....
>>
>> [NOTE: needless to say, I own the DVD but none of the DVD players - and
>> all efforts to reset the regions by code input have failed - we simply
>> can't find a reset code for our family DVD player...]
>>

> Hi Graham,
>
> I think you should contact the producer of the DVD. Ask why it is region
> 1 encoded, and ask for a replacement. I don't see why anyone would
> restrict research material to one region, so it is likely a mistake. If
> you want to go through with reencoding your disc, you might find more
> information on the doom9.org site.

Totally useless advice, and bound to produce just as useless results.
These companies DO NOT CARE about individuals.

One way you might go about doing this is to rip the various DVD files to
local media (DivX or other format)... then remaster a DVD with those
files (your newly mastered DVD will be region 0).

Go to Synaptics (package manager) and look for the package called
"dvdrip". Work from there.

Gilles

Old 12-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Werner Schram

Hi Gilles,

Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> I think you should contact the producer of the DVD. Ask why it is region
>> 1 encoded, and ask for a replacement. I don't see why anyone would
>> restrict research material to one region, so it is likely a mistake. If
>> you want to go through with reencoding your disc, you might find more
>> information on the doom9.org site.
>>

> Totally useless advice, and bound to produce just as useless results.
> These companies DO NOT CARE about individuals.

I personally don't think that every company, universitiy and research
institution that provides research material doesn't care about
individuals. Of course it is possible that his research material is a
commercial movie or something of the like, but that has never been said.
I think that your sollution will likely help to solve his problem, but
that doesn't mean that asking the producer to provide the disk in an
unrestricted (or at least usable) format is a totally useless advice.

Werner

Old 12-09-2009, 03:49 PM
scar

Old 12-09-2009, 04:05 PM