Old 12-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Franz Waldmüller

Default partition advice --> install more languages

Gary Kirkpatrick schrieb:
> I need help with partitions again.
>
> This Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed. I do not want it any more. I
> have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can teach it here in
> Panama). I just added the Spanish version.
[snip]

no help with your partitioning but: do you know that when using ubuntu
it is not necessary to install the operating system several times, just
because you want to use different languages (to me one killer feature
over the MS Windows -operating system).

by launching gnome-language-selector or System->System Administration ->
Language ..
you can add as many languages to your install as you like. Once
installed you can choose at the login screen which language to use for
this session.
Depending on the translation status nearly all applications should
appear in the chosen language.
Sometimes when working in gnome you have to add kde language packs
manually with synaptic (only when you installed kde-apps)

I am quite confident that this could ease your need for different
partitions. (Keep a seperate /home partition, this make a clean install
very easy as you can keep all your private data)

Franz
Written from a pc which English, French, German and Danish installed.