Old 12-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Daniel Convissor

Default adjusting shutdown entry in session applet

Hola:

Another of my launchpad questions fell flat and I'm hoping the people
here may know what to do here, please.

I am using the GNOME Ubuntu Desktop in 9.10/Karmic. The list of actions
in the indicator-applet-session includes "Shut Down." That option powers
off the machine (shutdown -P). I would like to change jit to halt
(shutdown -H). How can this be done, please?

Also, is it possible for me to remove the "Hibernate" option from the
list?

Thanks,

--Dan

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-applet/+question/91085

--
T H E A N A L Y S I S A N D S O L U T I O N S C O M P A N Y
http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/

Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 PM
NoOp

On 12/08/2009 10:43 PM, Daniel Convissor wrote:
> Hola:
>
> Another of my launchpad questions fell flat and I'm hoping the people
> here may know what to do here, please.
>
> I am using the GNOME Ubuntu Desktop in 9.10/Karmic. The list of actions
> in the indicator-applet-session includes "Shut Down." That option powers
> off the machine (shutdown -P). I would like to change jit to halt
> (shutdown -H). How can this be done, please?

I've not tested (so modify at your own risk), but I _think_ that you can
modify the Ctrl-Alt-Delete setting in /etc/event.d/control-alt-delete to
use shutdown -H instead of it's default setting:

> # control-alt-delete - emergency keypress handling
> #
> # This task is run whenever the Control-Alt-Delete key combination is
> # pressed. Usually used to shut down the machine.
>
> start on control-alt-delete
>
> exec /sbin/shutdown -r now "Control-Alt-Delete pressed"

So perhaps modifing the last line to read:
exec /sbin/shutdown -H now "Control-Alt-Delete pressed"

*Maybe* that will at least give you a quick & easy way to 'shutdown -H'.

Again, I've not tested & won't be able to for a few more hours. If you'd
like to wait for awhile (I'm working on customers Win machines just now)
I'll test it for you on one of my test machines.

> Also, is it possible for me to remove the "Hibernate" option from the
> list?

I'm pretty sure it is possible, but unfortunately I don't have any idea
of how to do it (just yet).

Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 PM
NoOp

On 12/09/2009 02:22 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/08/2009 10:43 PM, Daniel Convissor wrote:
>> Hola:
>>
>> Another of my launchpad questions fell flat and I'm hoping the people
>> here may know what to do here, please.
>>
>> I am using the GNOME Ubuntu Desktop in 9.10/Karmic. The list of actions
>> in the indicator-applet-session includes "Shut Down." That option powers
>> off the machine (shutdown -P). I would like to change jit to halt
>> (shutdown -H). How can this be done, please?
>
> I've not tested (so modify at your own risk), but I _think_ that you can
> modify the Ctrl-Alt-Delete setting in /etc/event.d/control-alt-delete to
> use shutdown -H instead of it's default setting:
>
>> # control-alt-delete - emergency keypress handling
>> #
>> # This task is run whenever the Control-Alt-Delete key combination is
>> # pressed. Usually used to shut down the machine.
>>
>> start on control-alt-delete
>>
>> exec /sbin/shutdown -r now "Control-Alt-Delete pressed"
>
> So perhaps modifing the last line to read:
> exec /sbin/shutdown -H now "Control-Alt-Delete pressed"
>
> *Maybe* that will at least give you a quick & easy way to 'shutdown -H'.
>
> Again, I've not tested & won't be able to for a few more hours. If you'd
> like to wait for awhile (I'm working on customers Win machines just now)
> I'll test it for you on one of my test machines.

My apologies; I see on a clean karmic 9.10 install, that file has now
changed to: /etc/init/control-alt-delete.conf
/etc/event.d/control-alt-delete is only present on an upgraded machine
(jaunty to karmic) so appears to be depreciated in favor o
/etc/init/control-alt-delete.conf.

File content is the same so I tested and modified
/etc/init/control-alt-delete.conf to
exec /sbin/shutdown -H now "Control-Alt-Delete pressed"
saved it & gave it a try. Ctrl-Alt-Delete simply goes to the "Shut Down
the Computer" window & gives a 60 second timeout. After waiting for 60
seconds it simply shuts down. So, you can forgo trying the above. Sorry
about the noise.