Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Knute Johnson

Default Terminal resolution on Ubuntu server?

I recently upgraded my server machine from 9.04 to 9.10 and the
resolution of the terminal went from 24 lines x 80 characters to 48
lines and a bunch of characters. It's also in color which is cool.

The problem is that I have a hard time reading it without my glasses and
would love to put it back to something a little less dense. Anybody
know how to adjust that? I want to keep the color though.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
knute2009@knutejohnson.com

Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Werner Schram

Knute Johnson wrote:
> I recently upgraded my server machine from 9.04 to 9.10 and the
> resolution of the terminal went from 24 lines x 80 characters to 48
> lines and a bunch of characters. It's also in color which is cool.
>
> The problem is that I have a hard time reading it without my glasses and
> would love to put it back to something a little less dense. Anybody
> know how to adjust that? I want to keep the color though.

If you are using pure textmode, you can use the svgatextmode package.
This will install the SVGATextMode command, and the /etc/TextMode config
file. I think in needs some tweaking to get it running though, when I
tried it, it was referencing a font file which didn't exist on my
system. You could also setup a framebuffer console, They often are a bit
slower, but you should have a wider selection of fonts and resolutions.

Werner

Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Andrew Farris

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 21:42 +0100, Werner Schram wrote:
> Knute Johnson wrote:
[snip]
> > The problem is that I have a hard time reading it without my glasses and
> > would love to put it back to something a little less dense. Anybody
> > know how to adjust that? I want to keep the color though.
> >

> If you are using pure textmode, you can use the svgatextmode package.
> This will install the SVGATextMode command, and the /etc/TextMode config
> file.

you can also set the resolution via a kernel boot argument, via adding
something to the effect of "vga=###" to the end of the kernel line in
grub, where ### is a number code, specifying a resolution.

For more info, see this help page about the console framebuffer:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ConsoleFramebuffer

Hope that helps!

--
Andrew

Old 12-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Knute Johnson

Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 21:42 +0100, Werner Schram wrote:
>> Knute Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
>>> The problem is that I have a hard time reading it without my glasses and
>>> would love to put it back to something a little less dense. Anybody
>>> know how to adjust that? I want to keep the color though.
>>>

>> If you are using pure textmode, you can use the svgatextmode package.
>> This will install the SVGATextMode command, and the /etc/TextMode config
>> file.
>
> you can also set the resolution via a kernel boot argument, via adding
> something to the effect of "vga=###" to the end of the kernel line in
> grub, where ### is a number code, specifying a resolution.
>
> For more info, see this help page about the console framebuffer:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ConsoleFramebuffer
>
> Hope that helps!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll report back it I figure it out.