Old 12-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Gary Kirkpatrick

Default other partition question

So i created a partion called data.* When I go to store files in data, that action is not permittted.* There is one more thing I need to do and can not seem to find what that is.* I bet one of you knows just what to do.* I have had this problem once before and i have forgotten the solution.

thanks again

gary

Old 12-09-2009, 01:51 AM
James Michael Fultz

* Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> [2009-12-08 20:23 -0500]:
> So i created a partion called data. When I go to store files in data, that
> action is not permittted. There is one more thing I need to do and can not
> seem to find what that is. I bet one of you knows just what to do. I have
> had this problem once before and i have forgotten the solution.

Change ownership, permissions or both on the mount point to permit
writing to the appropriate user or users. Alternatively, create
per-user subdirectories beneath the mount point and set ownership and
permission for those individually.

Examples, entered at the shell prompt ($) in a terminal:

Change ownership of mount point ('/data') to owner "youruser".

$ chown youruser /data

Change permissions to allow any user file and directory creation but may
only remove files or directories belonging to them (like on '/tmp').

$ chmod 1777 /data

Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Colin Law

2009/12/9 James Michael Fultz <croooow@gmail.com>:
> * Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> [2009-12-08 20:23 -0500]:
>> So i created a partion called data. *When I go to store files in data, that
>> action is not permittted. *There is one more thing I need to do and can not
>> seem to find what that is. *I bet one of you knows just what to do. *I have
>> had this problem once before and i have forgotten the solution.
>
> Change ownership, permissions or both on the mount point to permit
> writing to the appropriate user or users. *Alternatively, create
> per-user subdirectories beneath the mount point and set ownership and
> permission for those individually.
>
> Examples, entered at the shell prompt ($) in a terminal:
>
> Change ownership of mount point ('/data') to owner "youruser".
>
> $ chown youruser /data
>
> Change permissions to allow any user file and directory creation but may
> only remove files or directories belonging to them (like on '/tmp').
>
> $ chmod 1777 /data

I think those may have to be
sudo chown ... and sudo chmod ...

Colin

Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Gary Kirkpatrick

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

2009/12/9 James Michael Fultz <croooow@gmail.com>:

> * Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> [2009-12-08 20:23 -0500]:

>> So i created a partion called data. *When I go to store files in data, that

>> action is not permittted. *There is one more thing I need to do and can not

>> seem to find what that is. *I bet one of you knows just what to do. *I have

>> had this problem once before and i have forgotten the solution.

> Change ownership, permissions or both on the mount point to permit

> writing to the appropriate user or users. *Alternatively, create

> per-user subdirectories beneath the mount point and set ownership and

> permission for those individually.

> Examples, entered at the shell prompt ($) in a terminal:

> Change ownership of mount point ('/data') to owner "youruser".

> $ chown youruser /data

> Change permissions to allow any user file and directory creation but may

> only remove files or directories belonging to them (like on '/tmp').

> $ chmod 1777 /data

I think those may have to be

sudo chown ... and sudo chmod ...

Colin

The results were:
$ chown gary /data
chown: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory
gary@garynetbook:~$ sudo chown gary /data
[sudo] password for gary:

chown: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory
gary@garynetbook:~$ chmod 1777 /data
chmod: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory

Did I do something incorrectly?

thanks

gary

Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Colin Law

2009/12/9 Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/12/9 James Michael Fultz <croooow@gmail.com>:
>> > * Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> [2009-12-08 20:23 -0500]:
>> >
>> > Change ownership, permissions or both on the mount point to permit
>> > writing to the appropriate user or users. *Alternatively, create
>> > per-user subdirectories beneath the mount point and set ownership and
>> > permission for those individually.
>> >
>> > Examples, entered at the shell prompt ($) in a terminal:
>> >
>> > Change ownership of mount point ('/data') to owner "youruser".
>> >
>> > $ chown youruser /data
>> >
>> > Change permissions to allow any user file and directory creation but may
>> > only remove files or directories belonging to them (like on '/tmp').
>> >
>> > $ chmod 1777 /data
>>
>> I think those may have to be
>> sudo chown ... and sudo chmod ...
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>

> The results were:
> $ chown gary /data
> chown: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory
> gary@garynetbook:~$ sudo chown gary /data
> [sudo] password for gary:
> chown: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory
> gary@garynetbook:~$ chmod 1777 /data
> chmod: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory
>
> Did I do something incorrectly?

Have you mounted the partition?

Colin

Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:
> So i created a partion called data.* When I go to store files in data, that
> action is not permittted.* There is one more thing I need to do and can not
> seem to find what that is.* I bet one of you knows just what to do.* I have
> had this problem once before and i have forgotten the solution.

What do you mean my "I created a partition called data"? Did you
install a new disk? Did you run gpartd or Partition Magic to split up
an existing disk? Did you do something else?

--wpd

Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

2009/12/9 Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> 2009/12/9 James Michael Fultz <croooow@gmail.com>:

>> > * Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> [2009-12-08 20:23 -0500]:

>> > Change ownership, permissions or both on the mount point to permit

>> > writing to the appropriate user or users. *Alternatively, create

>> > per-user subdirectories beneath the mount point and set ownership and

>> > permission for those individually.

>> > Examples, entered at the shell prompt ($) in a terminal:

>> > Change ownership of mount point ('/data') to owner "youruser".

>> > $ chown youruser /data

>> > Change permissions to allow any user file and directory creation but may

>> > only remove files or directories belonging to them (like on '/tmp').

>> > $ chmod 1777 /data

>> I think those may have to be

>> sudo chown ... and sudo chmod ...

>> Colin

>> --

> The results were:

> $ chown gary /data

> chown: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory

> gary@garynetbook:~$ sudo chown gary /data

> [sudo] password for gary:

> chown: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory

> gary@garynetbook:~$ chmod 1777 /data

> chmod: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory

> Did I do something incorrectly?

Have you mounted the partition?

Colin

Yes, it was mounted.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:

> So i created a partion called data.* When I go to store files in data, that

> action is not permittted.* There is one more thing I need to do and can not

> seem to find what that is.* I bet one of you knows just what to do.* I have

> had this problem once before and i have forgotten the solution.

What do you mean my "I created a partition called data"? *Did you

install a new disk? *Did you run gpartd or Partition Magic to split up

an existing disk? *Did you do something else?

--wpd

I used gparted to split up an existing disk.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used gparted to split up an existing disk.

...and you mentioned that it was mounted. I presume it was mounted as
/data. You can verify this by executing the mount command:

$ mount

That should show you something like:

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda2 on /data type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)

what does:

$ ls -ld /data

show you? I anticipate that it might show something like:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-12-09 10:10 /data

indicating that /data is owned by "root" and that only "root" has
write access. If you would like to give everybody write access, you
could execute the "chmod" (Change mode) command with something like:

$ sudo chmod a+w /data

hopefully this will point you somewhere that helps.

--wpd