Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

Default partition advice

I need help with partitions again.* I have attached a copy of a screen shot from gparted which should help.

This Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed.* I do not want it any more.* I have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can teach it here in Panama).* I do not know how to get rid of 8.10.** I can not delete it, it appears, though I have not tried from a live USB (another problem).* Since the 8.10 is not mounted I figure I should be able to delete it and expand the data partiion no problem.

thanks

gary

Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Liam Proven

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need help with partitions again.
>
> This Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed.* I do not want it any more.* I
> have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can teach it here in
> Panama).** I just added the Spanish version.
>
> I do not know how to get rid of 8.10.** It is in SDA /1.* The Spanish
> version of 9.10 is in SDA5 (under sda1).* The English version of 9.10 is in
> sda/4.
>
> thanks
>
> gary

I know this will not sound helpful, but if you need to ask, there's a
fairly good chance that in trying to remove it, you will make your
system unbootable.

My suggestion would be:

Back up your documents and settings and start over.

Here is how I suggest you partition the drive:

[primary 20GB ext3 for the main root filesystem]
[extended partition for whole rest of drive
[logical drive with other language version of Ubuntu if desired - 20GB ext3]
[more logicals if you want 3 or more versions of ubuntu installed]
[logical drive, all rest of space, for /home]
[logical drive, 2x physical RAM, for swap]
[end of extended partition]

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 12-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Gary Kirkpatrick

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need help with partitions again.

> This Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed.* I do not want it any more.* I

> have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can teach it here in

> Panama).** I just added the Spanish version.

> I do not know how to get rid of 8.10.** It is in SDA /1.* The Spanish

> version of 9.10 is in SDA5 (under sda1).* The English version of 9.10 is in

> sda/4.

> thanks

> gary

I know this will not sound helpful, but if you need to ask, there's a

fairly good chance that in trying to remove it, you will make your

system unbootable.

My suggestion would be:

Back up your documents and settings and start over.

Here is how I suggest you partition the drive:

[primary 20GB ext3 for the main root filesystem]

[extended partition for whole rest of drive

*[logical drive with other language version of Ubuntu if desired - 20GB ext3]

*[more logicals if you want 3 or more versions of ubuntu installed]

*[logical drive, all rest of space, for /home]

*[logical drive, 2x physical RAM, for swap]

[end of extended partition]

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Thanks to you both!* Not sure what I will do.* It works like it is, after all, and I have plenty of space.*

I looked to write over the 8.10 partition when I was installing the Spanish version but it did not allow me to do so.*

Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need help with partitions again.

> This Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed.* I do not want it any more.* I

> have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can teach it here in

> Panama).** I just added the Spanish version.

> I do not know how to get rid of 8.10.** It is in SDA /1.* The Spanish

> version of 9.10 is in SDA5 (under sda1).* The English version of 9.10 is in

> sda/4.

> thanks

> gary

I know this will not sound helpful, but if you need to ask, there's a

fairly good chance that in trying to remove it, you will make your

system unbootable.

My suggestion would be:

Back up your documents and settings and start over.

Here is how I suggest you partition the drive:

[primary 20GB ext3 for the main root filesystem]

[extended partition for whole rest of drive

*[logical drive with other language version of Ubuntu if desired - 20GB ext3]

*[more logicals if you want 3 or more versions of ubuntu installed]

*[logical drive, all rest of space, for /home]

*[logical drive, 2x physical RAM, for swap]

[end of extended partition]

Would the procedure be:* 1) install 9.10 and have the installer wipe the disk then create extended partition for rest of space 2) create logical drive for Spanish version* 3) create logical drive for rest of space for data storage 4) logical drive 2x ram for swap.*

If i can just delete the sda1 and did not have to reinstall ubuntu and all the data files that would be the easiest thing to do, tho perhaps not a whole lot easier.* If that fails can I then do as you suggested and start over, or can I get myself into more trouble?*

thanks

gary

Old 12-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Avi Greenbury

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I need help with partitions again. I have attached a copy of a
> screen shot from gparted which should help.

First tip - if you set a delay of, say, two seconds, it gives you time
to minimise the screenshot utility window, which makes for more useful
screenshots. As it is, I'm not sure it's obscured anything overly
useful here.

> This Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed. I do not want it any
> more. I have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can
> teach it here in Panama).

You can use multiple languages on a single install, which is likely to
be easier for you.

> I do not know how to get rid of 8.10. I > can not delete it, it
> appears, though I have not tried from a live USB (another problem).
> Since the 8.10 is not mounted I figure I should be able to delete it
> and expand the data partiion no problem.

How are you trying to delete it? What exactly happens? What error
messages come up?
Also, which partition is what? It's hard to tell from that screenshot.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 12-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I need help with partitions again. *I have attached a copy of a

> screen shot from gparted which should help.

First tip - if you set a delay of, say, two seconds, it gives you time

to minimise the screenshot utility window, which makes for more useful

screenshots. As it is, I'm not sure it's obscured anything overly

useful here.

> This Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed. *I do not want it any

> more. *I have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can

> teach it here in Panama).

You can use multiple languages on a single install, which is likely to

be easier for you.

> I do not know how to get rid of 8.10. * I > can not delete it, it

> appears, though I have not tried from a live USB (another problem).

> Since the 8.10 is not mounted I figure I should be able to delete it

> and expand the data partiion no problem.

How are you trying to delete it? What exactly happens? What error

messages come up?

Also, which partition is what? It's hard to tell from that screenshot.

--

Avi Greenbury

trying to delete it using gparted.* It simply will not allow that option.* I am trying to do it within 9.10 (english version) since I can not get gparted to install on USB storage devices and I am concerned that since 8.1 is installed on sda/1, deleting it may cause me to ahve to reinstall everything.*

thanks

gary

Old 12-10-2009, 05:57 PM
NoOp

On 12/08/2009 03:27 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I need help with partitions again. I have attached a copy of a screen shot
> from gparted which should help.
>
> This Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed. I do not want it any more. I
> have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can teach it here in
> Panama). I do not know how to get rid of 8.10. I can not delete it, it
> appears, though I have not tried from a live USB (another problem). Since
> the 8.10 is not mounted I figure I should be able to delete it and expand
> the data partiion no problem.

Boot to a liveCD and then use gparted; make sure all partitions are
unmounted. In your screenshot all partitions are mounted with the
exceptions of sda2 and sda6.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition

Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

On Thu, D

Boot to a liveCD and then use gparted; make sure all partitions are

unmounted. In your screenshot all partitions are mounted with the

exceptions of sda2 and sda6.

Just to make sure I got this correct, that's a live gparted CD you are talking about vs. a live cd with unbuntu installed.* Also to clarifiy, this box has no CD drive.* I take it then I should use a bootable usb device with gparted installed.

Thanks, NoOp. You are always on the money!* Scary name, though.

gary

Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 PM
NoOp

On 12/10/2009 03:04 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> On Thu, D
>

>> Boot to a liveCD and then use gparted; make sure all partitions are
>> unmounted. In your screenshot all partitions are mounted with the
>> exceptions of sda2 and sda6.
>>

> Just to make sure I got this correct, that's a live gparted CD you are
> talking about vs. a live cd with unbuntu installed. Also to clarifiy, this
> box has no CD drive. I take it then I should use a bootable usb device with
> gparted installed.

You can use a standard Ubuntu liveCD, it has gparted on it. Drop me a
note off list if you run into issues & I'll be happy to try to talk you
through it w/screenshots.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

Thanks for the offer.* Send me your email address at pegngary@gmail.com.* I'll contact you that way if necessary.