Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

Default partition advice

I need help with partitions again.

This
Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed.* I do not want it any more.* I
have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can teach it here
in Panama).** I just added the Spanish version.

I do not know how to get rid of 8.10.** It is in SDA /1.* The Spanish version of 9.10 is in SDA5 (under sda1).* The English version of 9.10 is in sda/4.

thanks

gary

Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Leonard

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

I need help with partitions again.

This Dell notebook came with 8.1 installed. I do not want it any
more. I have 9.10 installed in both English and Spanish (so I can
teach it here in Panama). I just added the Spanish version.

I do not know how to get rid of 8.10. It is in SDA /1. The Spanish
version of 9.10 is in SDA5 (under sda1). The English version of 9.10
is in sda/4.

thanks

gary

assuming you know what you are doing, select some partitioning tool and
just remove/delete that sda1 partition. A good partitioning tool to use
is gparted. If you are not well versed in partitioning
then I strongly suggest you read up on it and backup the two partitions
you want to keep before doing any deletions or repartitioning. You
could have actually done this using the live or alt CD when
you first installed Karmic but again you have to know what you are doing
and maybe study a little. Just don't delete the two Karmics you want to
keep and you may have to reinstall grub on the first
Karmic partition but I not sure of that but it can be done if you get
into boot problems. HTH, a little,

Leonard
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net