Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Steve

Default Truncated man page

On one of my computers the man page for aptitude is truncated, only a
third or so is there. I’ve tried reinstalling aptitude but to no avail.
How do I get it back? I’ve looked at a few other man pages and compared
them to an other machine and they appear intact.

--
Steve

Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 08:30:45PM -0000, Steve wrote:
> On one of my computers the man page for aptitude is truncated, only a
> third or so is there. I’ve tried reinstalling aptitude but to no avail.
> How do I get it back? I’ve looked at a few other man pages and compared
> them to an other machine and they appear intact.

I'd suggest looking in /var/cache/man for the cached truncated version.
Remove it, and when you next run man aptitude, it should regenerate a
complete version.

I wonder how this happened. Did you run out of disk space when you were
trying to look at aptitude's man page?

Marius Gedminas
--
A real friend isn't someone you use once and then throw away.
A real friend is someone you can use over and over again.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Steve

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 20:54:24 -0000, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 08:30:45PM -0000, Steve wrote:
>> On one of my computers the man page for aptitude is truncated, only a
>> third or so is there. I’ve tried reinstalling aptitude but to no avail.
>> How do I get it back? I’ve looked at a few other man pages and compared
>> them to an other machine and they appear intact.
>
> I'd suggest looking in /var/cache/man for the cached truncated version.
> Remove it, and when you next run man aptitude, it should regenerate a
> complete version.

Can’t find any cached files in there at all.

> I wonder how this happened. Did you run out of disk space when you were
> trying to look at aptitude's man page?

No problem with disk space, 3g out of 6g on / and 4g out of 10g on /home.
I ran dd > null on both drives to see if there are any read problems and
nothing showed up.

--
Steve

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Steve

[...]

The rest of the man page has now appeared, no idea why.

--
Steve