Old 12-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Chris G

Default Has anyone got Open Office to access a remote mysql database?

I am trying to set up Open Office's database access to connect to a
remote (as in another computer on my LAN) database. I'm failing
pretty miserably. This is in [x]ubuntu 9.10, Open Office 3.1.1.

Searching on Google it looks as if most other people are failing
miserably too, I can't find anywhere that gives a straightforward
description of how it shouod be done.

Apart from anything else the Open Office Base is *very* broken in all
sorts of ways which doesn't give one confidence.

So, what happens for me is as follows, I start up Open Office and ask
it to open a database, I (initially) go for "Connect to an existing
database" and select MySQL as it's a MySQL database I want to connect
to.

Then click on Next.

Select "Connect using JDBC (Java Database Conenctivity)

Next

It then comes up with a ridiculously broken (or at least misleading)
GUI form which has the following boxes:-

Name of the Database
Server URL
Port Number

If you try and find out what the Server URL should look like it
includes the database name and the Port Number so why are these
specified separately as well?

The if you try and reload an existing database it doesn't work either,
it offers you recently used ones, then if you select one it ignores
you and goes into browse mode.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
NoOp

On 12/08/2009 11:01 AM, Chris G wrote:
> I am trying to set up Open Office's database access to connect to a
> remote (as in another computer on my LAN) database. I'm failing
> pretty miserably. This is in [x]ubuntu 9.10, Open Office 3.1.1.

You might want to give this a try:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/mysql_connector
further ref/info:
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Database/Drivers/MySQL_Native/1.0>

However, also note:
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Database/Drivers/MySQL_Native/1.0/Known_Issues>
But if the server is on your LAN then this shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Chris G

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 11:44:41AM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/08/2009 11:01 AM, Chris G wrote:
> > I am trying to set up Open Office's database access to connect to a
> > remote (as in another computer on my LAN) database. I'm failing
> > pretty miserably. This is in [x]ubuntu 9.10, Open Office 3.1.1.

> You might want to give this a try:
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/mysql_connector
> further ref/info:
> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Database/Drivers/MySQL_Native/1.0>

Excellent, thank you. It hasn't *immediately* fixed my problem but
the description of how to use it has clarified most of the items I
mentioned above where the Open Office help system is worse than
useless. Also the error message I got from the above connector
actually told me what the mysqld error was, unlike the JDBC connector.

Thanks again!

> However, also note:
> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Database/Drivers/MySQL_Native/1.0/Known_Issues>
> But if the server is on your LAN then this shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, I don't think this is a problem for me. It may well also be that
having got it to work with the above connector the information I have
gleaned will enable me to get the JDBC connector to work as well which
will also work 'beyond the LAN'.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 AM
NoOp

On 12/09/2009 02:25 AM, Chris G wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 11:44:41AM -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> However, also note:
>> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Database/Drivers/MySQL_Native/1.0/Known_Issues>
>> But if the server is on your LAN then this shouldn't be a problem.
>>
> Yes, I don't think this is a problem for me. It may well also be that
> having got it to work with the above connector the information I have
> gleaned will enable me to get the JDBC connector to work as well which
> will also work 'beyond the LAN'.

Then this might be of help:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Connect_MySQL_and_Base

Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Chris G

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 05:36:37PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/09/2009 02:25 AM, Chris G wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 11:44:41AM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> >> However, also note:
> >> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Database/Drivers/MySQL_Native/1.0/Known_Issues>
> >> But if the server is on your LAN then this shouldn't be a problem.
> >>
> > Yes, I don't think this is a problem for me. It may well also be that
> > having got it to work with the above connector the information I have
> > gleaned will enable me to get the JDBC connector to work as well which
> > will also work 'beyond the LAN'.
> >

> Then this might be of help:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Connect_MySQL_and_Base

Yes, it at least clarifies the confusing "Server URL" field somewhat,
and it points out that you need to open up the mySql server so that
remote connections are allowed (although it does that wrong for ubuntu
9.10, it's a little out of date). It's also a little light on getting
the Java CLASSPATH set up correctly for the connector.

All in all it's a bit of a can of worms though it *does* all work when
you get everything right.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM
NoOp

On 12/10/2009 01:22 AM, Chris G wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 05:36:37PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> >>
>> > Yes, I don't think this is a problem for me. It may well also be that
>> > having got it to work with the above connector the information I have
>> > gleaned will enable me to get the JDBC connector to work as well which
>> > will also work 'beyond the LAN'.
>> >

>> Then this might be of help:
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Connect_MySQL_and_Base
>>
> Yes, it at least clarifies the confusing "Server URL" field somewhat,
> and it points out that you need to open up the mySql server so that
> remote connections are allowed (although it does that wrong for ubuntu
> 9.10, it's a little out of date). It's also a little light on getting
> the Java CLASSPATH set up correctly for the connector.
>
> All in all it's a bit of a can of worms though it *does* all work when
> you get everything right.

Best place for further answers is on the OOo Base list:
http://dba.openoffice.org/
users @ dba.openoffice.org
Or the forums:
http://support.openoffice.org/index.html

Be _sure_ to specify that you are using Ubuntu OOo instead of standard
OOo if that is the case. You can also use launchpad answers:
<https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/openoffice.org/+gethelp>

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/openoffice.org/+questions

Old 12-10-2009, 08:09 PM
NoOp

On 12/10/2009 01:04 PM, NoOp wrote:
> Best place for further answers is on the OOo Base list:
> http://dba.openoffice.org/
> users @ dba.openoffice.org
> Or the forums:
> http://support.openoffice.org/index.html
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
>
> Be _sure_ to specify that you are using Ubuntu OOo instead of standard
> OOo if that is the case. You can also use launchpad answers:
> <https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/openoffice.org/+gethelp>
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/openoffice.org/+questions

Sorry, forgot to add this ref:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Database

Old 12-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Chris G

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 01:09:53PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/10/2009 01:04 PM, NoOp wrote:
> > Best place for further answers is on the OOo Base list:
> > http://dba.openoffice.org/
> > users @ dba.openoffice.org
> > Or the forums:
> > http://support.openoffice.org/index.html
> > http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
> >
> > Be _sure_ to specify that you are using Ubuntu OOo instead of standard
> > OOo if that is the case. You can also use launchpad answers:
> > <https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/openoffice.org/+gethelp>
> >
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/openoffice.org/+questions
> >

> Sorry, forgot to add this ref:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Database

Thanks for all the pointers, in particular the OOo Base mailing list.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-10-2009, 09:53 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/10/2009 01:04 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> Best place for further answers is on the OOo Base list:
>> http://dba.openoffice.org/
>> users @ dba.openoffice.org
>> Or the forums:
>> http://support.openoffice.org/index.html
>> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
>>
>> Be _sure_ to specify that you are using Ubuntu OOo instead of standard
>> OOo if that is the case. You can also use launchpad answers:
>> <https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/openoffice.org/+gethelp>
>>
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/openoffice.org/+questions
>>

> Sorry, forgot to add this ref:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Database

I just started to use OO on my wife's Ubuntu 9.1 and it found
the printer automatic and printed exactly what I wrote. On
WindowsXP I have to find the cd-rom with the HP drivers for
Windows. I HATE Windows!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI