Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Default getting rid of gdm's user list (Karmic)

08.12.2009 13:34, Avi Greenbury:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> 08.12.2009 12:29, Adam Funk:
>>
>>> Has anyone succeeded in getting rid of the user list in the new
>>> (Karmic) gdm login screen? (I do *not* want auto-log-in.)
>>
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-October/199823.html
>
> This, to the best of my knowledge, no longer works. I think it was an
> update either shortly before or shortly after Karmic's release.

It does still work (even on a completely up-to-date Karmic install).

> I can't remember the details of the working method, but it involves
> updating the Gnome preferences as user 'gdm', since this is whose gnome
> preferences are used before login.

Of course. And that is exactly what the command, described in NoOp's
post I referred to above, does.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Avi Greenbury

Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> 08.12.2009 13:34, Avi Greenbury:
>
> > Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> >
> >> 08.12.2009 12:29, Adam Funk:

> >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-October/199823.html
> >
> > This, to the best of my knowledge, no longer works. I think it was
> > an update either shortly before or shortly after Karmic's release.
>
> It does still work (even on a completely up-to-date Karmic install)

Aha! Yes.

That was a spectacular failure at reading on my part, sorry about that.
There was an earlier fix which didn't work, and I was sure I got that
from an email of almost exactly that format.

Sorry about that, will read more thoroughly in future.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Markus Schönhaber

08.12.2009 16:31, Avi Greenbury:

> Sorry about that, will read more thoroughly in future.

:-)
No problem.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-08-2009, 05:33 PM
PleegWat

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> 08.12.2009 12:29, Adam Funk:
>>
>>> Has anyone succeeded in getting rid of the user list in the new
>>> (Karmic) gdm login screen? (I do *not* want auto-log-in.)
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-October/199823.html
>>

> This, to the best of my knowledge, no longer works. I think it was an
> update either shortly before or shortly after Karmic's release.

It actually does still work, although myself I had to re-apply it (on
both of my ubuntu systems) after a recent gdm update.

PleegWat

Old 12-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Adam Funk

On 2009-12-08, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> 08.12.2009 12:29, Adam Funk:
>
>> Has anyone succeeded in getting rid of the user list in the new
>> (Karmic) gdm login screen? (I do *not* want auto-log-in.)
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-October/199823.html

That worked!

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

Thanks.

But I don't understand why they changed a perfectly good log-in screen
*and* forced people to use clunky methods like this to restore the old
defaults (rather than a nice /etc/*.conf file).

Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Adam Funk

On 2009-12-08, Tom H wrote:

>> Has anyone succeeded in getting rid of the user list in the new
>> (Karmic) gdm login screen? *(I do *not* want auto-log-in.)
>
>> I've tried 'gksu gconf-editor' -> /apps/gdm/simple-greeter -> disable
>> user list and it has no effect.
>
> You have to gksu/gksudo as gdm.

I tried that too, and got some strange error messages and an empty
(except for "/") gconf-editor. But the solution elsewhere in this
thread worked.

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 PM
NoOp

On 12/08/2009 10:33 AM, PleegWat wrote:
> Avi Greenbury wrote:
>> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>>
>>> 08.12.2009 12:29, Adam Funk:

>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-October/199823.html
>>>

>> This, to the best of my knowledge, no longer works. I think it was an
>> update either shortly before or shortly after Karmic's release.
>
> It actually does still work, although myself I had to re-apply it (on
> both of my ubuntu systems) after a recent gdm update.
>
> PleegWat

As did I. Seems that the “gdm” 2.28.1-0ubuntu2.1 reset or removed it.
After re-applying all is well again :-)