Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Dave M G

Default Scanner showing poor quality scans since update to Karmic

Ubuntu Users,

I have an Epson GT-S600 scanner, which is the same model as the
Perfection V100.

It was working great, and then I upgraded to Ubuntu Karmic 9.10.

Now, when I scan something in Xsane or Epson's proprietary scanning
software, it has these coloured (blue and magenta) streaks in every scan.

I have uploaded a screenshot to illustrate the problem.
http://autotelic.com/Screenshot.png

I don't know if the problem is with Xsane or Ubuntu or what, but it
definitely the turning point was the upgrade.

Any advice on how to diagnose or fix the problem would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G

Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Norman Silverstone

> Ubuntu Users,
>
> I have an Epson GT-S600 scanner, which is the same model as the
> Perfection V100.
>
> It was working great, and then I upgraded to Ubuntu Karmic 9.10.
>
> Now, when I scan something in Xsane or Epson's proprietary scanning
> software, it has these coloured (blue and magenta) streaks in every scan.
>
> I have uploaded a screenshot to illustrate the problem.
> http://autotelic.com/Screenshot.png
>
> I don't know if the problem is with Xsane or Ubuntu or what, but it
> definitely the turning point was the upgrade.
>
> Any advice on how to diagnose or fix the problem would be much appreciated.

I am sorry that I cannot give you any really useful advice since I, too,
have consistently suffered problems with using a scanner during several
versions of Ubuntu. For a time I used to have to close the existing
version and reload the previous Kernel when I needed to use the scanner
but now that no longer works. In the end I bought VueScan which seems to
be very good and well supported. However, not all scanners are supported
in Ubuntu even with this piece of commercial software. My attempts to
raise bugs or to contact the maintainers of XSane have always resulted
in failure.

Norman