Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

Default +1 for removing Karl from the list

On Tue, December 8, 2009 03:45, Andrew Kane wrote:
> "I know the CoC, but Karl doesn't or he ignores it, and I'm tired of
> seeing this behavior for years!
> NoOp is a good member which helps a lot and even he disagrees with
> Karl's behaviour, so please remove this person from the list."
>
> Victor, I am a relative newbie to this list, so I beg your indulgence.
> Who is empowered to remove subscribers from the list? Is this, in
> fact, a moderated list? Nothing that I have seen (in, admittedly, a
> brief search) indicates that it is a moderated list. If there is no
> moderator, then no one is available who can 'remove this person from
> the list'. Please advise if I am incorrect.

+1 for removing Karl from the list

I already send every message with Karl.*Larsen in the From, To, CC or Body
to /dev/null, but sometimes people send him a reply without attribution,
and then I get broken threads with useless messages.

--
Amedee

Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Liam Proven

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
<amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> On Tue, December 8, 2009 03:45, Andrew Kane wrote:
>> "I know the CoC, but Karl doesn't or he ignores it, and I'm tired of
>> seeing this behavior for years!
>> NoOp is a good member which helps a lot and even he disagrees with
>> Karl's behaviour, so please remove this person from the list."
>>
>> Victor, I am a relative newbie to this list, so I beg your indulgence.
>> Who is empowered to remove subscribers from the list? Is this, in
>> fact, a moderated list? Nothing that I have seen (in, admittedly, a
>> brief search) indicates that it is a moderated list. If there is no
>> moderator, then no one is available who can 'remove this person from
>> the list'. *Please advise if I am incorrect.
>
> +1 for removing Karl from the list
>
> I already send every message with Karl.*Larsen in the From, To, CC or Body
> to /dev/null, but sometimes people send him a reply without attribution,
> and then I get broken threads with useless messages.

+1 again for removing Karl Larsen.

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 12-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Ray Leventhal

Liam Proven wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
> <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
>> On Tue, December 8, 2009 03:45, Andrew Kane wrote:
>>> "I know the CoC, but Karl doesn't or he ignores it, and I'm tired of
>>> seeing this behavior for years!
>>> NoOp is a good member which helps a lot and even he disagrees with
>>> Karl's behaviour, so please remove this person from the list."
>>>
>>> Victor, I am a relative newbie to this list, so I beg your indulgence.
>>> Who is empowered to remove subscribers from the list? Is this, in
>>> fact, a moderated list? Nothing that I have seen (in, admittedly, a
>>> brief search) indicates that it is a moderated list. If there is no
>>> moderator, then no one is available who can 'remove this person from
>>> the list'. Please advise if I am incorrect.
>> +1 for removing Karl from the list
>>
>> I already send every message with Karl.*Larsen in the From, To, CC or Body
>> to /dev/null, but sometimes people send him a reply without attribution,
>> and then I get broken threads with useless messages.
>
> +1 again for removing Karl Larsen.

+1 here too. Thanks to Amedee, my procmail filter works well for him.
In a word, 'plonk'

Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Colin Law

2009/12/8 Amedee Van Gasse (ub) <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be>:
> On Tue, December 8, 2009 03:45, Andrew Kane wrote:
>> "I know the CoC, but Karl doesn't or he ignores it, and I'm tired of
>> seeing this behavior for years!
>> NoOp is a good member which helps a lot and even he disagrees with
>> Karl's behaviour, so please remove this person from the list."
>>
>> Victor, I am a relative newbie to this list, so I beg your indulgence.
>> Who is empowered to remove subscribers from the list? Is this, in
>> fact, a moderated list? Nothing that I have seen (in, admittedly, a
>> brief search) indicates that it is a moderated list. If there is no
>> moderator, then no one is available who can 'remove this person from
>> the list'. *Please advise if I am incorrect.
>
> +1 for removing Karl from the list

-1, live and let live. Any censorship may be the thin end of the
wedge. If you don't like what he says just ignore him.

Colin

Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:00:10 +0000
Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2009/12/8 Amedee Van Gasse (ub) <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be>:
> > On Tue, December 8, 2009 03:45, Andrew Kane wrote:
> >> "I know the CoC, but Karl doesn't or he ignores it, and I'm tired
> >> of seeing this behavior for years!
> >> NoOp is a good member which helps a lot and even he disagrees with
> >> Karl's behaviour, so please remove this person from the list."
> >>
> >> Victor, I am a relative newbie to this list, so I beg your
> >> indulgence. Who is empowered to remove subscribers from the list?
> >> Is this, in fact, a moderated list? Nothing that I have seen (in,
> >> admittedly, a brief search) indicates that it is a moderated list.
> >> If there is no moderator, then no one is available who can 'remove
> >> this person from the list'. *Please advise if I am incorrect.
> >
> > +1 for removing Karl from the list
>
> -1, live and let live. Any censorship may be the thin end of the
> wedge. If you don't like what he says just ignore him.
>
> Colin

On this topic I am of two minds. First, I despise censorship and don't
think that Karl's racist and political rants should get him removed.

OTOH, he sometimes gives out pretty bogus information and /that/ is
quite possibly going to hurt Linux uptake with some newer users.
I guess I am +/-1 for a grand total vote of 0.

Move on; nothing to see here. I ain't the 'droid you're looking for.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Colin Law

2009/12/8 Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:
>>+1 for removing Karl from the list
>
> -1, live and let live. *Any censorship may be the thin end of the
> wedge. *If you don't like what he says just ignore him.

I have just realised that this might have been taken as being directed
at specific individuals and intended as personal criticism, this was
certainly not my intention, I should have snipped more and phrased my
comment 'If we don't like what he says we should just ignore him'.

Apologies for this and for yet more noise on the thread.

Colin

Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Tue, December 8, 2009 17:00, Colin Law wrote:
> 2009/12/8 Amedee Van Gasse (ub) <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be>:
>> On Tue, December 8, 2009 03:45, Andrew Kane wrote:
>>> "I know the CoC, but Karl doesn't or he ignores it, and I'm tired of
>>> seeing this behavior for years!
>>> NoOp is a good member which helps a lot and even he disagrees with
>>> Karl's behaviour, so please remove this person from the list."
>>>
>>> Victor, I am a relative newbie to this list, so I beg your indulgence.
>>> Who is empowered to remove subscribers from the list? Is this, in
>>> fact, a moderated list? Nothing that I have seen (in, admittedly, a
>>> brief search) indicates that it is a moderated list. If there is no
>>> moderator, then no one is available who can 'remove this person from
>>> the list'. *Please advise if I am incorrect.
>>
>> +1 for removing Karl from the list
>
> -1, live and let live. Any censorship may be the thin end of the
> wedge. If you don't like what he says just ignore him.

+1 for the reason that Cybe gives.

I can personally choose to ignore Karl, and I suppose that you missed my
message where I wrote in great detail how exactly I do that (so that
others can copy and learn).

But ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away. The main problem with
Karl isn't that his messages are disruptive to this list. The problem is
that he gives bad information. If you follow his instructions to the
letter, you will end up with a broken system or data loss.
This is harmfull for innocent newbies and they will blame Ubuntu in
general because "someone on the Ubuntu list told them so".

So I think that in this particular case the needs of the many outweigh the
needs of the few, or the one.

There is a precedent. Just ask Jan Claeys who is an active member of the
ubuntu-be mailing list. I know that Jan lurks here so he can correct me if
this moderation was on the ubuntu-be list or the openstandaarden list (or
both), I'm not 100% sure. But I seem to remember that the offending user
was also on ubuntu-be, and now he isn't AFAICT.

Sorry for the noise.

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Glenn Holmer

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 10:22 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> he sometimes gives out pretty bogus information and /that/ is
> quite possibly going to hurt Linux uptake with some newer users.

Which is even worse than the obviously out-of-place post about cars.

I say +1, ban him.

--
"After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM) http://www.lyonlabs.org

Old 12-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Justin Gruenberg

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Glenn Holmer <shadowm@lyonlabs.org> wrote:
> I say +1, ban him.

+1 Tar and Feather

I'm sick of my Ubuntu gmail label being filled with crap that has
nothing to do with Ubuntu, Linux, or anything remotely related. STOP
IT. If I want to read political rants, I'll read a blog. If I want
to rant, I'll comment or make my own blog. Aside from this message.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:58 PM
J Bickhard

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Justin Gruenberg
<justin.gruenberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Glenn Holmer <shadowm@lyonlabs.org> wrote:
>> I say +1, ban him.
>
> +1 Tar and Feather
I don't contribute much to this list, but I do get a lot out of it,
and I'm tired of all of the fluff I've been getting lately. Most of it
isn't Karl's. Rather, it's people responding to Karl. I think the best
thing to do is just ignore him, and treat his messages how you would
normally treat any spam. If the moderators decide to ban him, that's
okay with me. If they choose not to, I don't really care either way. I
just think that our lists quality could go up if everyone just stopped
responding to him. From what I read, I agree with NoOp entirely (thank
you for your service, NoOp, and any other veterans that read this).

Just my 2 bits
Jake (dats me)