Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Patrick Doyle

Default How to tell what has changed after an update?

How can I tell what has changed after an update? I presume (never
having looked at them very carefully) that the changelogs in
/usr/share/doc probably contain top level summaries. Is there some
file I can look at or some apt/dpkg command I can run to determine
what packages were installed/updated when? Presumably, if I sort that
by date, I can see what has changed after a recent update.

Suppose I wanted more details about a particular package, for example,
x11-common, (I don't know if that has changed recently or not, but
I've picked it because I happen to be trying to track down a
particular change in behavior of X11 right now). That package is
listed as version 1:7.4+3ubuntu7. I presume I could grab the
cvs/svn/git/mercurial source tree for version 7.4 of xorg, but how
could I tell what specific changes were enacted in going from 3ubuntu6
to 3ubuntu7? How would I even know that version 1:7.4+3ubuntu6 was
the version I had installed prior to version 1:7.4+3ubuntu7?

Thanks for helping me figure this out. As I said, I would rather
learn the proper tools to figure this out on my own, rather than just
finding out what the recent change to x11-common was (if there even
was a recent change).

--wpd

Old 12-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Amber Graner

[...]

you should be able to go to packages.ubuntu.com and find the package you are looking for* by release by version and there should be a link that says changelog* iirc* Hope this helps

akgraner

Just me Amber.

There are lots of Linux users who don't care how the kernel works, but only want to use it. That is a tribute to how good Linux is.
Linus Torvalds

Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 AM
NoOp

On 12/07/2009 06:31 PM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> How can I tell what has changed after an update? I presume (never
> having looked at them very carefully) that the changelogs in
> /usr/share/doc probably contain top level summaries. Is there some
> file I can look at or some apt/dpkg command I can run to determine
> what packages were installed/updated when? Presumably, if I sort that
> by date, I can see what has changed after a recent update.
>
> Suppose I wanted more details about a particular package, for example,
> x11-common, (I don't know if that has changed recently or not, but
> I've picked it because I happen to be trying to track down a
> particular change in behavior of X11 right now). That package is
> listed as version 1:7.4+3ubuntu7. I presume I could grab the
> cvs/svn/git/mercurial source tree for version 7.4 of xorg, but how
> could I tell what specific changes were enacted in going from 3ubuntu6
> to 3ubuntu7? How would I even know that version 1:7.4+3ubuntu6 was
> the version I had installed prior to version 1:7.4+3ubuntu7?
>
> Thanks for helping me figure this out. As I said, I would rather
> learn the proper tools to figure this out on my own, rather than just
> finding out what the recent change to x11-common was (if there even
> was a recent change).
>
> --wpd

Typically the best information is provided by the 'Details' in the
update manager for the updates presented for install. If you click the
'Details' the information is provide there.

Alternatively you can use the ubuntu package http://packages.ubuntu.com/
site to find the package, example:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=x11-common
go to the package:
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/x11-common>
click the 'Changelog' to the right, and end up with:
<http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/x/xorg/xorg_7.4+3ubuntu7/changelog>
Also, you can click the 'Bug Reports':
end up here:
<https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bugs>
and then click 'Overview'
and end up here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg
from there you can click on the packages for Karmic (1:7.4+3ubuntu10 in
this case) and see:
<quote>
Publishing details

* Published on 2009-11-30

Changelog

xorg (1:7.4+3ubuntu10) karmic-proposed; urgency=low

* local/Failsafe/failsafeXServer: Since dexconf no longer produces
an xorg.conf, it will neither generate a failsafe xorg.conf, so now
we just generate one directly. Otherwise X won't start a failsafe
session properly.
(LP: #477149)
-- Bryce Harrington <email address hidden> Mon, 09 Nov 2009 15:39:57
-0800
</quote>

Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Patrick Doyle

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Amber Graner <akgraner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How can I tell what has changed after an update? *I presume (never
>
> you should be able to go to packages.ubuntu.com and find the package you are
> looking for* by release by version and there should be a link that says
> changelog* iirc* Hope this helps

That's not quite what I was looking for... That lists the packages in
karmic-updates, it doesn't tell me what I've installed on my
particular machine, nor when I installed them. I think that there
should be some log associated with apt or dpkg that will tell me that
sort of thing, but I'm not sure where to look, nor, once I've found
what has changed, how to get more details than what's in the
changelog.

--wpd

Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Daniel Convissor

Hi:

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 09:31:13PM -0500, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Is there some
> file I can look at or some apt/dpkg command I can run to determine
> what packages were installed/updated when?

For this part of your query, you can check out the files in /var/log/apt
(recited from memory, pardon any errors).

--Dan

--
T H E A N A L Y S I S A N D S O L U T I O N S C O M P A N Y
http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/

Old 12-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 09:31:13PM -0500, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Is there some
> file I can look at or some apt/dpkg command I can run to determine
> what packages were installed/updated when?

For this part of your query, you can check out the files in /var/log/apt
(recited from memory, pardon any
errors).

--Dan
Just to add a bit on the good advice.* If you use aptitude to upgrade there is
a file 'aptitude' in /var/log that shows date, time, what was upgraded or held back.
Var/log/apt.term.log shows the output of the cli for any apt command, I suppose, along with the date and time.
Those two items are what you are looking for I believe.* Feel free to explore /var/log as there seems to be a history of everything you do on the OS.
Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Thanks for helping me figure this out. As I said, I would rather
> learn the proper tools to figure this out on my own, rather than just
> finding out what the recent change to x11-common was (if there even
> was a recent change).
>
> --wpd

aptitude changelog x11-common

Note that this will connect to the net. It will show the latest
changelog by default (which includes multiple changesets). However, you
can instead do, e.g.

aptitude changelog x11-common=1:7.4+3ubuntu7

Not all versions will have a accessible file, though.

Matt Flaschen

Old 12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:
> Patrick Doyle wrote:
>> Thanks for helping me figure this out. *As I said, I would rather
>> learn the proper tools to figure this out on my own, rather than just
>> finding out what the recent change to x11-common was (if there even
>> was a recent change).
>>
>> --wpd
>
> aptitude changelog x11-common
>
> Note that this will connect to the net. *It will show the latest
> changelog by default (which includes multiple changesets). *However, you
> can instead do, e.g.
>
> aptitude changelog x11-common=1:7.4+3ubuntu7
>
> Not all versions will have a accessible file, though.
>
> Matt Flaschen
ok, suppuse I wanted to go a little deeper than just the changelog.
Is there an official Ubuntu cvs/svn/git/hg repository from which I
could see the diffs between, e.g. x11-common 1.7.4+3ubuntu7 and
1.7.4+3ubuntu10?

--wpd

Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 PM
NoOp

On 12/08/2009 01:36 PM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Matthew Flaschen
> <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:
>> Patrick Doyle wrote:
>>> Thanks for helping me figure this out. As I said, I would rather
>>> learn the proper tools to figure this out on my own, rather than just
>>> finding out what the recent change to x11-common was (if there even
>>> was a recent change).
>>>
>>> --wpd
>>
>> aptitude changelog x11-common
>>
>> Note that this will connect to the net. It will show the latest
>> changelog by default (which includes multiple changesets). However, you
>> can instead do, e.g.
>>
>> aptitude changelog x11-common=1:7.4+3ubuntu7
>>
>> Not all versions will have a accessible file, though.
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
> ok, suppuse I wanted to go a little deeper than just the changelog.
> Is there an official Ubuntu cvs/svn/git/hg repository from which I
> could see the diffs between, e.g. x11-common 1.7.4+3ubuntu7 and
> 1.7.4+3ubuntu10?
>
> --wpd

As I pointed out in my previous post:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg
From there you can view the diffs between versions.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> As I pointed out in my previous post:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg
> From there you can view the diffs between versions.

Oops, I missed that. Sorry for the noise. Thanks (again) for the help.

--wpd