Old 12-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Markus Schönhaber

Default safe-upgrade (was: Ubuntu 9.10 repeated dialogue: "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode")

08.12.2009 01:44, NoOp:

> On 12/07/2009 04:36 PM, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>> 08.12.2009 01:11, NoOp:
>>
>>> Not sure where 'safe-upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade' is recommended from...
>>> simple:
>>>
>>> $ sudo apt-get update
>>> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>>>
>>> should suffice.
>>
>> 'safe-upgrade' isn't a valid parameter for apt-get but for aptitude. For
>> aptitude 'upgrade' is deprecated in favour of 'safe-upgrade'.
>> 'dist-upgrade' is necessary if 'upgrade' or 'safe-upgrade' would hold
>> back packages but you want to make the necessary transactions anyway.
>> For aptitude 'dist-upgrade' is deprecated in favour of 'full-upgrade'.
>
> Yes and?

No "and". I just interpreted you sentence starting with "No sure
where..." as a question and pointed out that it's aptitude's man page
that recommends 'safe-upgrade'.

> I still maintain that:
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> should suffice.

I don't doubt that.

> Or am I missing out on something?

Yes, you missed the fact that I had left the thread's topic with my post
- which I should have made clear by changing the subject. Sorry.

--
Regards
mks