Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Steve

Default Ubuntu 9.10 repeated dialogue: "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode"

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 23:53:01 -0000, Leonard Chatagnier
<lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Mark C. Miller wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:13:47 +0000, Paul Richards wrote:
>>

>>> I keep
>>> up to date by regularly running "aptitude update&& aptitude
>>> dist-upgrade".
>>>
>> This reminded me to ask ...
>>
>> is this any different than waiting for the update manager to alert you
>> available updates? (Running Ubuntu 9.10)
>>

> Yep, your cli commands will pick up whatever is new on the mirrors while
> using update manager or any gui will check periodically to see what's
> new. I use the cli quite ofter when notifications show nothing and find
> upgrades available all the time. Why do you use dist-upgrade; I always
> use safe-upgrade(recommended). Dist-upgrade will upgrade to the next
> release when one is available and you might not want that since Karmic
> is the latest and greatest-)
> Len

From the man-page:

upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently
installed on the system

dist-upgrade, in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages

--
Steve

Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 PM
NoOp

On 12/07/2009 03:53 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Mark C. Miller wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:13:47 +0000, Paul Richards wrote:
>>

>>> I keep
>>> up to date by regularly running "aptitude update&& aptitude
>>> dist-upgrade".
>>>
>> This reminded me to ask ...
>>
>> is this any different than waiting for the update manager to alert you to
>> available updates? (Running Ubuntu 9.10)
>>

> Yep, your cli commands will pick up whatever is new on the mirrors while
> using update manager or any gui will check periodically to see what's
> new. I use the cli quite ofter when notifications show nothing and find
> upgrades available all the time. Why do you use dist-upgrade; I always
> use safe-upgrade(recommended). Dist-upgrade will upgrade to the next
> release when one is available and you might not want that since Karmic
> is the latest and greatest-)
> Len

Not sure where 'safe-upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade' is recommended from...
simple:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

should suffice.

For changing the upgrade notifications, see:
<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904>

<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904#Change%20in%20notifications%20of%20available%2 0updates>

<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910#Change%20in%20notifications%20of%20available%2 0updates>

Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Steve wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 23:53:01 -0000, Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> Mark C. Miller wrote:

>>> This reminded me to ask ...
>>>
>>> is this any different than waiting for the update manager to alert you
>>> available updates? (Running Ubuntu 9.10)
>>>

>> Yep, your cli commands will pick up whatever is new on the mirrors while
>> using update manager or any gui will check periodically to see what's
>> new. I use the cli quite ofter when notifications show nothing and find
>> upgrades available all the time. Why do you use dist-upgrade; I always
>> use safe-upgrade(recommended). Dist-upgrade will upgrade to the next
>> release when one is available and you might not want that since Karmic
>> is the latest and greatest-)
>> Len
>>

> From the man-page:
>
> upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently
> installed on the system
>
> dist-upgrade, in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
> intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages

I don't question that dist-upgrade will perform the function of
safe-upgrade(preferred) but just upgrade
will do the same with an info message about safe-upgrade. I do question
that dist-upgrade will more
intelligently handle changing dependencies with new versions of packages
as safe-upgrade does the same
for me anyway. Aptitude is noted for handling dependencies better than
apt-get and is why I use it mostly.
I haven't read the manual(aptitude or apt-get) thoroughly, just look up
commands a few times. But I'm pretty
sure that safe-upgrade will handle depends just fine and it will also
start installing a new version when one
is available if you don't prevent it from doing so. If I'm wrong I'll
stand corrected when proven so.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Markus Schönhaber

08.12.2009 01:11, NoOp:

> Not sure where 'safe-upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade' is recommended from...
> simple:
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> should suffice.

'safe-upgrade' isn't a valid parameter for apt-get but for aptitude. For
aptitude 'upgrade' is deprecated in favour of 'safe-upgrade'.
'dist-upgrade' is necessary if 'upgrade' or 'safe-upgrade' would hold
back packages but you want to make the necessary transactions anyway.
For aptitude 'dist-upgrade' is deprecated in favour of 'full-upgrade'.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/07/2009 03:53 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
>> Mark C. Miller wrote:

>>> This reminded me to ask ...
>>>
>>> is this any different than waiting for the update manager to alert you to
>>> available updates? (Running Ubuntu 9.10)
>>>

>> Yep, your cli commands will pick up whatever is new on the mirrors while
>> using update manager or any gui will check periodically to see what's
>> new. I use the cli quite ofter when notifications show nothing and find
>> upgrades available all the time. Why do you use dist-upgrade; I always
>> use safe-upgrade(recommended). Dist-upgrade will upgrade to the next
>> release when one is available and you might not want that since Karmic
>> is the latest and greatest-)
>> Len
>>

> Not sure where 'safe-upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade' is recommended from...
> simple:

If you were to use aptitude upgrade the command would work but you get
an info message
to the fact the upgrade is depreciated and safe-upgrade is preferred,
something to that effect.
In any case either command will complete and I don't know if there is
any consequence of
using plain old upgrade. Dist-upgrade goes a long way back(to Debian
Woody for me) and
I was always told it's primary purpose is to upgrade to the next version
and that's all I've used
it for. Of cource, that's not the ubuntu way these days.
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> should suffice.

It does, of course, as I've copied same commands from the net and am too
lazy to edit them to
aptitude.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 PM
NoOp

On 12/07/2009 04:36 PM, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 08.12.2009 01:11, NoOp:
>
>> Not sure where 'safe-upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade' is recommended from...
>> simple:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get update
>> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
>> should suffice.
>
> 'safe-upgrade' isn't a valid parameter for apt-get but for aptitude. For
> aptitude 'upgrade' is deprecated in favour of 'safe-upgrade'.
> 'dist-upgrade' is necessary if 'upgrade' or 'safe-upgrade' would hold
> back packages but you want to make the necessary transactions anyway.
> For aptitude 'dist-upgrade' is deprecated in favour of 'full-upgrade'.

Yes and?

I still maintain that:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

should suffice.

Or am I missing out on something? The differences between aptitude and
apt-get have been discussed on this list for quite some time. I won't
bother to look up the exact threads, but I seem to recall that apt-get
works just fine in Ubuntu.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 PM
NoOp

On 12/07/2009 04:43 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> Not sure where 'safe-upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade' is recommended from...
>> simple:
>>
> If you were to use aptitude upgrade the command would work but you get
> an info message
> to the fact the upgrade is depreciated and safe-upgrade is preferred,
> something to that effect.
> In any case either command will complete and I don't know if there is
> any consequence of
> using plain old upgrade. Dist-upgrade goes a long way back(to Debian
> Woody for me) and
> I was always told it's primary purpose is to upgrade to the next version
> and that's all I've used
> it for. Of cource, that's not the ubuntu way these days.

Not unless you are running a server:

<https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/serverguide/C/aptitude.html>
<quote>
Aptitude is a menu-driven, text-based front-end to the Advanced
Packaging Tool (APT) system. Many of the common package management
functions, such as installation, removal, and upgrade, are performed in
Aptitude with single-key commands, which are typically lowercase letters.

Aptitude is best suited for use in a non-graphical terminal environment
to ensure proper functioning of the command keys.
</quote>

<https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/serverguide/C/apt-get.html>
<quote>
Apt-Get

The apt-get command is a powerful command-line tool used to work with
Ubuntu's Advanced Packaging Tool (APT) performing such functions as
installation of new software packages, upgrade of existing software
packages, updating of the package list index, and even upgrading the
entire Ubuntu system.
</quote>

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware

Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Markus Schönhaber

08.12.2009 00:53, Leonard Chatagnier:

> use safe-upgrade(recommended). Dist-upgrade will upgrade to the next
> release when one is available and you might not want that since Karmic
> is the latest and greatest-)

No, 'dist-upgrade' will not upgrade to a new Ubuntu version - unless you
take additional measures (changing sources.list). And on Ubuntu it's
neither the recommended nor a supported way to do a release upgrade.
'dist-upgrade' will upgrade/install packages that would otherwise be
kept back due to changed dependencies. And that can easily happen
without upgrading to a newer distribution release. In fact, today's
update to bind is such a case.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 08.12.2009 00:53, Leonard Chatagnier:
>

>> use safe-upgrade(recommended). Dist-upgrade will upgrade to the next
>> release when one is available and you might not want that since Karmic
>> is the latest and greatest-)
>>
> No, 'dist-upgrade' will not upgrade to a new Ubuntu version - unless you
> take additional measures (changing sources.list). And on Ubuntu it's
> neither the recommended nor a supported way to do a release upgrade.
> 'dist-upgrade' will upgrade/install packages that would otherwise be
> kept back due to changed dependencies. And that can easily happen
> without upgrading to a newer distribution release. In fact, today's
> update to bind is such a case.

I agree you may have to change sources.list and I know it's not the
recommended/approved
method. I only disagree that safe-upgrade wont do the same regarding
depends. I just ran
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade with these results:

lchata@karmic-desktop:/etc/gdm$ sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude
safe-upgrade
[sudo] password for lchata:
Get:1 http://76.73.4.58 karmic Release.gpg [189B]
Snipped the update listing for the most part
Get:30 http://76.73.4.58 karmic-backports/universe Packages [2,236B]
Fetched 7,148kB in 24s (292kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

Current status: 19 updates [+19], 90 new [+1].
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Resolving dependencies...
libdns53{a}
apport apport-gtk apport-kde bind9-host dnsutils gnome-screensaver
libbind9-50 libdns50 libisc50 libisccc50 libisccfg50 liblwres50
libpython2.6 libruby1.8
python-apport python-problem-report python2.6 python2.6-minimal ruby1.8
19 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 12.4MB of archives. After unpacking 77.8kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

I haven't actually did the upgrade yet but do I not have what you say
that today's update to bind is such a case? AAMOF, I rarely use
dist-upgrade. I don't know
all the facts about aptitude but are you implying that upgrade didn't
get the hits for you on the bind upgrade and if so did you try
safe-upgrade? Maybe safe-
upgrade does what dist-upgrade is said
to do.
Len

Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/07/2009 04:36 PM, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> 08.12.2009 01:11, NoOp:
>>

>>> Not sure where 'safe-upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade' is recommended from...
>>> simple:
>>>
>>> $ sudo apt-get update
>>> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>>>
>>> should suffice.
>>>
>> 'safe-upgrade' isn't a valid parameter for apt-get but for aptitude. For
>> aptitude 'upgrade' is deprecated in favour of 'safe-upgrade'.
>> 'dist-upgrade' is necessary if 'upgrade' or 'safe-upgrade' would hold
>> back packages but you want to make the necessary transactions anyway.
>> For aptitude 'dist-upgrade' is deprecated in favour of 'full-upgrade'.
>>

> Yes and?
>
> I still maintain that:
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> should suffice.
>
> Or am I missing out on something? The differences between aptitude and
> apt-get have been discussed on this list for quite some time. I won't
> bother to look up the exact threads, but I seem to recall that apt-get
> works just fine in Ubuntu.

Yes, of course it does. Both work fine in Debian based systems. And the
debate continues.
I would only say that Aptitude is known or at least touted to be better
at resolving depends
than Apt-get and that Aptitude has a graphical interface that I have had
to use before when
I had stuborn depend issues and the cli Aptitude just wouldn't fit the
bill. Do you just resolve
all you stubborn depends issues by trial and error? I suspect you do as
you have the insight.
Sorry about Karl getting out of line again. I guess he'll never learn
to put his brain in gear
before racing his big mouth. There are times I wish we had a moderated
list or some means
of black balling someone in need of it.