Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Ubuntu 9.10 repeated dialogue: "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode"

Mark C. Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:13:47 +0000, Paul Richards wrote:
>

>> I keep
>> up to date by regularly running "aptitude update&& aptitude
>> dist-upgrade".
>>
> This reminded me to ask ...
>
> is this any different than waiting for the update manager to alert you to
> available updates? (Running Ubuntu 9.10)

Yep, your cli commands will pick up whatever is new on the mirrors while
using update manager or any gui will check periodically to see what's
new. I use the cli quite ofter when notifications show nothing and find
upgrades available all the time. Why do you use dist-upgrade; I always
use safe-upgrade(recommended). Dist-upgrade will upgrade to the next
release when one is available and you might not want that since Karmic
is the latest and greatest-)
Len