Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default karmic panels have broken

drew einhorn wrote:
> Upgraded my desktop to karmic a while ago.
> After a few configuration issues were resolved
> things were working well for a while.
>
> All of a sudden my panels have died, I had two panels at the top of my
> desktop.
> Everything has disappeared except for a trash icon in the upper right
> corner.
> The diviision between the panels is missing and I can't add anything to the
> panels.
> This desktop is very crippled.
>
> What do I don now?

Your Karmic is odd. My trash is at the bottom right of my my
lower panel. The date and time are at the top right panel.

Do you have a top and bottom panel?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 PM
NoOp

On 12/07/2009 01:42 PM, drew einhorn wrote:
> Upgraded my desktop to karmic a while ago.
> After a few configuration issues were resolved
> things were working well for a while.
>
> All of a sudden my panels have died, I had two panels at the top of my
> desktop.
> Everything has disappeared except for a trash icon in the upper right
> corner.
> The diviision between the panels is missing and I can't add anything to the
> panels.
> This desktop is very crippled.
>
> What do I don now?

I'm not clear; first you say that the panels had dissappeared, then you
say that the division between the panels is missing and you can't add
anything to the panels... which is it?

You might try:
Alt-F1
Login using your regular login name and password
$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-panel gnome-panel-data
$ exit
Alt-F7

see if your default panels are back (top and bottom). You can then
adjust modify from there.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

> On 12/07/2009 01:42 PM, drew einhorn wrote:

> . . .
> All of a sudden my panels have died, I had two panels at the top of my
> desktop.
> . . .
This also happened twice to me this evening. I'm using fvwm, but
I used to launch gnome-panel, and never had this problem before.
I was not doing anything special which could explain that crash.
I'll do the re-install if that happens again.

--
Pierre Frenkiel