Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Steve

Default Unlock a compac 7550

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 23:24:04 -0000, John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> John Heinen wrote:
>> I have a computer here compax 7550 with win XP, it refufes to accept
>> ubuntu, kubuntu, or the little ones such as damm small or puppy,
>> where do I look?. Apreciate your reply John
>>

> I get a crc error

From what? What have you tried? A bit more info will be needed to give
you any advice.

--
Steve

Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 PM
John Heinen

Old 12-07-2009, 10:24 PM
John Heinen

Old 12-08-2009, 01:01 AM
John Heinen

Steve wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 23:24:04 -0000, John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>

>> John Heinen wrote:
>>
>>> I have a computer here compax 7550 with win XP, it refufes to accept
>>> ubuntu, kubuntu, or the little ones such as damm small or puppy,
>>> where do I look?. Apreciate your reply John
>>>

>> I get a crc error
>>

> From what? What have you tried? A bit more info will be needed to give
> you any advice.

When /load the disc and choose to install in this case "kubuntu" , first
choose English, next I get this error " CRC error system halted," /

Old 12-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Andrew Farris

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 19:01 -0700, John Heinen wrote:
> CRC error system halted

CRC is a "Cyclical Redundancy Check", sort of an error checking service,
like ECC... and typically means that there's issues either with your
hard drive, or RAM... though there appears to be other possible causes,
including a bad CD burn, and failing CD drive.

Try following the directions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
to verify that the image wasnt corrupted, then verify that the CD burn
went well.

If everything checks out there, then try running a memtest (use the
'test system memory' option from the liveCD menu) and see if it returns
errors... If it does, then that means your RAM is flaking out, and
you'll need new RAM.

If memtest doesn't return any errors, go to the manufacturer website of
your hard drive, download their os-independent drive-checking tool, and
boot with it, and run a check of your drive.

best of luck!

For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check
https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/304665
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/218870-31-sigh-quot-error-system-halted-quot

Andrew

Old 12-08-2009, 05:19 PM
John Heinen

Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 AM
John Heinen

Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 19:01 -0700, John Heinen wrote:
>
>> CRC error system halted
>>

> CRC is a "Cyclical Redundancy Check", sort of an error checking service,
> like ECC... and typically means that there's issues either with your
> hard drive, or RAM... though there appears to be other possible causes,
> including a bad CD burn, and failing CD drive.
>
> Try following the directions here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
> to verify that the image wasnt corrupted, then verify that the CD burn
> went well.
>
> If everything checks out there, then try running a memtest (use the
> 'test system memory' option from the liveCD menu) and see if it returns
> errors... If it does, then that means your RAM is flaking out, and
> you'll need new RAM.
>
> If memtest doesn't return any errors, go to the manufacturer website of
> your hard drive, download their os-independent drive-checking tool, and
> boot with it, and run a check of your drive.
>
> best of luck!
>
> For more info:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/304665
> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/218870-31-sigh-quot-error-system-halted-quot

Hi Andrew, I did peruse the above alas, most of it is way over my head,
To isolate the problem some, the CRC error appears only when I try to
load a LINUX program such as ubuntu, kubuntu, it runs fine on windows xp
The computer, A Compac 7550 Wind Ep 2002, AMD sempron processor 1.79 ghz
224 mb of ram. 224 mb not enough? John

Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 AM
NoOp

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910

Old 12-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Andrew Farris

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 18:26 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/08/2009 05:35 PM, John Heinen wrote:
> > Hi Andrew, I did peruse the above alas, most of it is way over my head,
> > To isolate the problem some, the CRC error appears only when I try to
> > load a LINUX program such as ubuntu, kubuntu, it runs fine on windows xp
> > The computer, A Compac 7550 Wind Ep 2002, AMD sempron processor 1.79 ghz
> > 224 mb of ram. 224 mb not enough? John
> >

> No.
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910

Unfortunately, NoOp is correct... 224mb isn't enough to run ubuntu...
though I don't think this would cause the CRC error your seeing...though
I've been wrong before.

As an alternative, you could try downloading a lighter-weight version of
ubuntu, or another distro altogether. A good one for older PCs w/
limited resources is Damn Small Linux:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Though, if your hellbent on using ubuntu, you could consider Xubuntu as
an alternative... or use an ubuntu variant with LXDE as a desktop, as
they both should work fairly well on older hardware. Check these links
out for more info:

http://www.xubuntu.org/
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Ubuntu

I'm sorry if this info is over your head...I realize it may be a bit
overwhelming for a new user to absorb... Feel free to let me know if you
have any questions, or need something clarified, and I'll help where I
can.

Best of luck!

--
Andrew

Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Andrew Farris

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 00:01 -0600, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 18:26 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> > On 12/08/2009 05:35 PM, John Heinen wrote:
> > > Hi Andrew, I did peruse the above alas, most of it is way over my head,
> > > To isolate the problem some, the CRC error appears only when I try to
> > > load a LINUX program such as ubuntu, kubuntu, it runs fine on windows xp
> > > The computer, A Compac 7550 Wind Ep 2002, AMD sempron processor 1.79 ghz
> > > 224 mb of ram. 224 mb not enough? John
> > >

> > No.
> >
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910
>
> Unfortunately, NoOp is correct... 224mb isn't enough to run ubuntu...
> though I don't think this would cause the CRC error your seeing...though
> I've been wrong before.
[snip]

Oops! my bad... I just re-read your first email again, and realized that
you've already looked at the alternatives I presented here... Therefore,
I've snipped it in favor of more useful information (see below).

Sorry about that...please disregard my previous email.

> I'm sorry if this info is over your head...I realize it may be a bit
> overwhelming for a new user to absorb...
[snip]

What specifically was over your head? perhaps I can help clarify. Just
keep in mind, the set of links at the end of my first email were purely
for information...basically it was just references to where I had picked
up some of the info I included in my email.

As for your issue with it happening only on linux, and not XP... this
could be that because XP is already installed, it's not catching any
issues for some reason, though an attempted fresh install with XP may
result in a likewise failure, like the linux disks. The other
possibilities include a bad CD, or failing CD drive, as I outlined in my
first email on this thread.

You can test this by following the MD5 sum instructions on the link from
my first email, reprinted here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM. If you have any
questions/issues, let me know, and I can help out.

One thing you can do fairly easily though, is when you stick the CD in,
and you get the liveCD boot menu, use the 'Test Memory' option to let it
start running memtest86+ to make sure your memory isnt dying. If there
are any errors, it will pop up in bright red and tell you, so it's
perfectly clear. After your ram has been tested, we can start
eliminating some of the other possibilities, provided the RAM wasn't the
culprit.

Hope that helps!

--
Andrew