FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 PM
eran
 
Default eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

eran rathnayake wants you to join Yaari!




Is eran your friend?




Yes, eran is my
friend! **** No, eran
isn't my friend.




Please respond or eran might think you said no




Thanks,


The Yaari Team






____



You are receiving this message because someone you know registered for Yaari and listed you as a
contact.


If you do not want to receive such notifications in the future, please click here.



If you have any concerns regarding the content of this message, please email abuse@yaari.com.





Yaari LLC, 358 Angier Ave, Atlanta, GA 30312




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/boycott_yaari_com_spam_2

another reason why nobody should use gmail

Gerald

Am Fri, 4
Jan 2008 18:55:06 -0600 schrieb eran <maxaeran@gmail.com>:

> eran rathnayake wants you to join Yaari!
>
> Is eran your friend?
>
> Yes, eran is my friend! No, eran isn't my friend.
>
> Please respond or eran might think you said no
>
> Thanks,
> The Yaari Team
>
> ____
> You are receiving this message because someone you know registered
> for Yaari and listed you as a contact. If you do not want to receive
> such notifications in the future, please click here. If you have any
> concerns regarding the content of this message, please email
> abuse@yaari.com. Yaari LLC, 358 Angier Ave, Atlanta, GA 30312

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 02:08 PM
"Ashley Benton"
 
Default eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

Just answer no if you don't know who it is. I use gmail and didn't see it happen very often.
Sincerely
Meg

On Jan 5, 2008 6:55 AM, Gerald Dachs <
ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:

http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/boycott_yaari_com_spam_2

another reason why nobody should use gmail

Gerald

Am Fri, 4
Jan 2008 18:55:06 -0600 schrieb eran <
maxaeran@gmail.com>:

> eran rathnayake wants you to join Yaari!
>
> Is eran your friend?
>
> Yes, eran is my friend! * * *No, eran isn't my friend.

>
> Please respond or eran might think you said no
>
> Thanks,
> The Yaari Team
>
> ____
> You are receiving this message because someone you know registered
> for Yaari and listed you as a contact. If you do not want to receive

> such notifications in the future, please click here. If you have any
> concerns regarding the content of this message, please email
> abuse@yaari.com. Yaari LLC, 358 Angier Ave, Atlanta, GA 30312


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

Am Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:08:01 -0500
schrieb "Ashley Benton" <meggalen@gmail.com>:

> Just answer no if you don't know who it is. I use gmail and didn't
> see it happen very often.
> Sincerely
> Meg

I can't say no, because it is not sent to me but to the list. If you
would have read the link that I have provided you would understand
that this happens only because gmail makes it too easy for other
software to get your email addresses.

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 PM
"Liam Proven"
 
Default eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

On 05/01/2008, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
> http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/boycott_yaari_com_spam_2
>
> another reason why nobody should use gmail

The problem here is an unethical social networking site, Yaari, that
spams people; it's nothing to do with Gmail. Most social networking
sites will now log in to your webmail accounts if you give them
permission and feed them your ID and password, so they can harvest
member addresses from your webmail addresses. This is harmless enough;
the problem appears to be that Yaari then spams people.

You're shooting the messenger. It's nothing to do with Gmail, it's a
different site that is to blame.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven@aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven@hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven@yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

Liam Proven wrote:
> You're shooting the messenger. It's nothing to do with Gmail, it's a
> different site that is to blame.

Actually, I think we can blame the person who gave away the Gmail
password. Nobody should EVER give away any password online. OK, maybe
that dubious site is to blame as well, but mostly the person who fell for
the request to give away a password. There IS a reason why an email
account has a password.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 07:01 PM
"Liam Proven"
 
Default eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

On 05/01/2008, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:
> > You're shooting the messenger. It's nothing to do with Gmail, it's a
> > different site that is to blame.
>
> Actually, I think we can blame the person who gave away the Gmail
> password. Nobody should EVER give away any password online. OK, maybe
> that dubious site is to blame as well, but mostly the person who fell for
> the request to give away a password. There IS a reason why an email
> account has a password.

Arguably that's an admirable POV from a security perspective, but I
confess, I allowed my half-a-dozen social networking sites one-time
access to all my webmail accounts so they could tell me who there was
that I already knew that was on the network. It's a common thing.
However, I stick to the more reputable sites, like LinkedIn, Facebook,
Myspace and Orkut; they've done nothing wrong, at least to me.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven@aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven@hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven@yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

Am Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:38:38 +0000
schrieb "Liam Proven" <lproven@gmail.com>:

> On 05/01/2008, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
> > http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/boycott_yaari_com_spam_2
> >
> > another reason why nobody should use gmail
>
> The problem here is an unethical social networking site, Yaari, that
> spams people; it's nothing to do with Gmail. Most social networking
> sites will now log in to your webmail accounts if you give them
> permission and feed them your ID and password, so they can harvest
> member addresses from your webmail addresses. This is harmless enough;

Sorry, I was not aware that all this sites doing it and that there are
people that thinks it is normal and harmless.
I am too naive and maybe too old. For my generation privacy seems to
be much more important. When I was young I was on the street to
demonstrate against the government only because they wanted to count
us all. I don't expect to find someone on this list who can
understand this.

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Default eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

Yeah, ok old guy. Maybe just be nice for a change.

Keith


----- Original Message ----
From: Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de>
To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:11:34 PM
Subject: Re: eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

Am Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:38:38 +0000
schrieb "Liam Proven" <lproven@gmail.com>:

> On 05/01/2008, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
> > http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/boycott_yaari_com_spam_2
> >
> > another reason why nobody should use gmail
>
> The problem here is an unethical social networking site, Yaari, that
> spams people; it's nothing to do with Gmail. Most social networking
> sites will now log in to your webmail accounts if you give them
> permission and feed them your ID and password, so they can harvest
> member addresses from your webmail addresses. This is harmless
enough;

Sorry, I was not aware that all this sites doing it and that there are
people that thinks it is normal and harmless.
I am too naive and maybe too old. For my generation privacy seems to
be much more important. When I was young I was on the street to
demonstrate against the government only because they wanted to count
us all. I don't expect to find someone on this list who can
understand this.

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

Liam Proven wrote:
> Arguably that's an admirable POV from a security perspective, but I
> confess, I allowed my half-a-dozen social networking sites one-time
> access to all my webmail accounts so they could tell me who there was
> that I already knew that was on the network. It's a common thing.
> However, I stick to the more reputable sites, like LinkedIn, Facebook,
> Myspace and Orkut; they've done nothing wrong, at least to me.

That seems really weird to me. And I don't mean you personally but all
people on these social networking sites who give away account details.
There is no site on the internet reputable enough to get access to any of
my email accounts. Am I suffering from paranoia? I don't think so. When I
signed up for any of my email accounts, there was an information telling
me that I should not give away the password for the account - and even
the provider would never ask for the password by email or phone. Is that
not a standard?

Would you give me access to your email account? I hope not. You don't know
me. You only know there is someone out there with a certain email address
who claims to have a certain name. And if you don't give me access to
your email account, why is ANY social networking site more trustworthy
than me? Do you know those who wrote the software for those sites? Or
those who operate the sites?

Any site who asks for account details is absolutely NOT trustworthy.
Nobody knows, if during the one-time access to an email account all
available mail folders are copied for data mining purposes. Of course
there are far better ways to find out if others you know are on the
network. The site should ask for a list of names and / or email
addresses. Then you have control of the list you give away, so the chance
of embarrassment is much smaller.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org